Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've looked and there are a few similar threads here, but none that came to a successful conclusion. I have a 99 OBW with Alpine system and three fobs that all function normally and have fresh batteries and cleaned internal contacts. They will all unlock the car from a distance of 2" after about six tries give or take. Once the unit does recognize a signal, it will work easily for a short while. Since you must unlock the car using the fob, this is pretty annoying. The red LEDs on the fobs light every time, but the car just doesn't receive or react to the signal. Did any of the others that had this problem ever find anything. Is it possible to deactivate the alarm half of the system, I know there is a valet mode, but can you just leave it in valet mode all the time.

I found that on my '02 LGT (same remote), you have to press and hold the fob button for a second or so. The signal sequence it sends is fairly slow, and it only transmits while the button is pressed; the car won't unlock unless it receives the complete sequence.

try pushing the button while you have the remote pointed up under your jaw. It sounds and looks ridiculous, but on my old car it'd get a much greater distance doing that (it actually uses your skull as an amplifier somehow)

Not to call you a liar, but...I kind of have a hard time believing that.

Can you tell my why?

try pushing the button while you have the remote pointed up under your jaw. It sounds and looks ridiculous, but on my old car it'd get a much greater distance doing that (it actually uses your skull as an amplifier somehow)

Not to call you a liar, but...I kind of have a hard time believing that.

Can you tell my why?

Being a person who knows something about such things (RF transmission and reception, not skulls as amplifiers), I could propose a couple of theories. However, I've grown wiser in my old age. :grin:

The bit where you hold the transmitter against yourself to improve range really works on a lot of cars. On my car, I have to hold the button down steady while passing the remote an inch or so over the surface of the car for maybe ten seconds or so, until the car chooses to notice me. After it does unlock, I can lock and unlock with no problems. It's like it falls asleep after it's been locked for a few minutes.

Just to finish the topic out, Valet mode did all I need. The system works exactly as before, but if you must use the key to get in, the alarm doesn't go off. There's a lot of red flashing going on now with the LED, but it turns off when the car is running. For some completely mysterious reason, it also now always seems to see the signal from the remote. Thanks guys.