Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea81t into ea81 w/4spd d/r 4wd

themoneypit

semi highjack,

anyone here upped the boost on an ea81t? how much power yall think they could handle if you put on a VF11, some kind of efi like megasquirt, plus an intercooler? 200hp maybe? and would it work to do that to a regular ea81 too? they are pretty low compression and have a closed deck so it should work ok huh?

I have not raised the boost in my wagon at all, but with some mods to the intake and exhaust, as well as a larger turbo and a tighter valvetrain to take advantage of the bigger turbo, I don' see why 150chp or higher isn't a possibility. Thats what I'm shooting for anyway.

I have not raised the boost in my wagon at all, but with some mods to the intake and exhaust, as well as a larger turbo and a tighter valvetrain to take advantage of the bigger turbo, I don' see why 150chp or higher isn't a possibility. Thats what I'm shooting for anyway.
ok, say you were to take a regular, bone stock ea81 long block and boost it. vf11, good tune, intercooler etc. what would be pretty much the limit? sounds like not many have really pushed the ea81 to the limit tho. what do you mean by tighter valve train, stiffer springs or what?

Valvetrain wise I would put money into lighter Ti retainers, light valves and valve springs, the pushrods are adequate. I've ported the heads for my N/A EA81 but I don't think its necessary on the intake side of the turbo engine. The exhaust ports could really use a good porting but with the increased heat of the turco, the thin port walls may crack.

What if a coating from Swain or similar was used in the exhaust ports? That could allow for some material to be safely removed. <- Just thinking outloud.

MegaSquirt 'N' Spark will be my computer of choice when I get to that stage, which is after all the hardware upgrades. I think the stock block will handle that, and if not I might have the internals cryo-treated. I will at least be installing EA81 carby pistons at that point, if not some of a higher comp ratio (MegaSquirt comes in handy here). Because of the turbocharger, many of the shortcomings of the EA81 design are negated by the positive manifold pressure. Because of this I expect to see a reliable 150-175chp out of the EA81T vs. an EA82T that could makes equal power through better port geometry and higher rpm without that engine's poor track record.

On a side note, I just marked all the autoXs off on my calendar. This season I can spend more time in my wagon, developing it and getting around to all the mothballed projects for her. :burnout:

• 2 weeks later...