Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift kit/ 4 wheel drive

spokanesoob

what do i need to add 4 wheel drive to my car and lift it.

Sell it and buy a 4WD. You'll end up buying one anyway for all the parts you need (it's cheaper than buying them seperate, trust me). So there's just no point in doing a conversion. Keep it nice, sell it, and buy a 4WD to start with. The hassle of conversion isn't generally worth it unless the body is something really, really special. I did it, and as I've told many folks here - I'll never do it again. The time investment is not worth it for a 20 year old car when 4WD's are reddily availible.

GD

Aren't EA82's easier to convert than ea81's? something about all the mounting bolt holes already being there?

the mounting holes aren't there. you have to drill and tap 4 in the back for the mustache bar, and fab something for the center carrier bearing.

BUT. on EA82s, the gas tank is the same. EA81s need to swap the gas tank to make room for the rear diff.

Okay, you got me there.

By the way, what IS their policy on whole-car extraction?

(Sorry for the hijack...think of it as a free bump to the top)

so if i get biiger tires and and four wheel drive all of that off road goodness what should i watch out for wear wise like getting good at clutch replacing or wheel bearings or what im kinda curious i like working on cars but i dont want to do it on a daily basis lol :P

so if i get biiger tires and and four wheel drive all of that off road goodness what should i watch out for wear wise like getting good at clutch replacing or wheel bearings or what im kinda curious i like working on cars but i dont want to do it on a daily basis lol :P

Help me out here................

You are asking about repair frequency on a 20 year old car, that you are going to modify, and then thrash? Are you serious?

Maybe leasing a Toyota Yaris for 3 years might be more suitable?

Help me out here................

You are asking about repair frequency on a 20 year old car, that you are going to modify, and then thrash? Are you serious?

Maybe leasing a Toyota Yaris for 3 years might be more suitable?

no need to thrash.

I wouldn't worry about any extra wear and tear from the bigger tires etc. it all depends on HOW you drive it. if you're hard on the clutch...you'll wear out the clutch, regardless of the tire size.

if you spend alot of time submerged, you might reduce the lifetime of your wheel bearings, but not much. My blue wagon had 235k miles on it when I sold it, and I'm quite sure (judging from the maintenance of the rest of the car) that the wheel bearings are factory original. and I only replaced one, and the iron-rich water is VERY hard on bearings...

if you are trying some serious uneven wheeling (like the rocks up here...) you'll probably bend and twist the control arms, leading rods, and maybe even the unibody....

the majority of the maintenance that you'll have to do will depend far more on the current condition of the car than the modifications.