Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did I get the wrong bloody O-rings?!

Resizeofpc035.jpg

Is that what a cam case o-ring is supposed to look like??? it doesnt look like a metal reinforced O ring to me......

after only a week and a half waiting for it, and TOTALLY not looking for a job due to the combination of an unreliable vehicle, and knowing I needed at least two days to do this...

I simply can NOT afford for this to be the wrong part, period.. the LAST thing I can afford to do is take my car apart to discover that.

can anyone give me a quick answer???

:mad::confused::mad::confused::dead:

hells bells and cockleshells!!!!

WTF can I do, I cant wait for this, and my local dealers are telling me its an obsolete part!!!

Seriously, Ive got $30 bux left and nowhere to friggin turn!!!!

I even talked with the people oin the telephone at 1stsubaruparts to make sure I was getting the "cam case O-rings"

I am SERIOUSLY not happy, this is NOT going to mean good things.

ANY CHANCE i can improvise this friggin thing????

words fail me, my lords. nothing I could possibly say could ever express the depths of my feelings in this matter.

You're local dealers just don't work on or carry parts for 20 year old cars. In rust areas where cars don't last that long the dealers just stop carrying them. I'm in Wisconsin(rust belt) but I order all my parts from a dealer in Oregon just for this reason. There are still THOUSANDS of old soobs runnin round out there so the dealers keep stuff in stock.

Oh, and no you can't fake it. That link from Caboobaroo looks good. As long as it's reinforced and not just a rubber ring, you are good.

well apologies for the venting but i gotta do it somewhere

im basically f#cked... i cant fix this car because its gonna take over a week and the last couple dollars i have

i got no family to turn to, theyre as broke as me

ive been outta work now for just over a week

i am f@#$^$%king screwed blued and tattood.

nevermind the fact that my insurance lapsed last night.

@#&^@$#%^@#%^$%&^@!#$%@$^&@#$%#$&

You're local dealers just don't work on or carry parts for 20 year old cars.

thats why i ordered from 1stsubaruparts.com, and even called them to attempt to confirm that this was the right part i was ordering....

apparently, i should have gone with the parts bin... but someone had called them into question, and the bit i got at the other place was a little cheaper anyhow, so i figured why not.

Looks like I get to f#$%#$%^ing wait for another week or so, and spend my last couple bucks on f#$%&%#$%@ more parts...

thanks for the help, whatever good its done....

Are we talking about the o-rings for the oil passage connection between the head and the cam tower? If so, I used a regular ( but fat ) o-ring and haven't seen any problems/leaks yet.. And I believe the old ones in there were plain o-rings as well.. There are special metal-reinforced o-rings for this? Really necessary?

Are we talking about the o-rings for the oil passage connection between the head and the cam tower? If so, I used a regular ( but fat ) o-ring and haven't seen any problems/leaks yet.. And I believe the old ones in there were plain o-rings as well.. There are special metal-reinforced o-rings for this? Really necessary?

Brutal honesty, I don't know. the best diagram I have seen thus far was the one on 1stsubaruparts.com from which I ordered the d@mn seals, and apparently that steered me wrong enough......

is he talking about what I am talking about? longevity be d@mned, if an O ring will work (Even for 10K miles, even MAYBE for that long) I am putting an O ring in there.

I know this is probably of no help but I know exactly how you feel sweetheart!!! Not out of work but just barely make enough to pay the bills let alone any parts for the cars. I know the emotional stress/anxiety you are feeling right now. Is your car tore apart??have you already pulled the old seals to match them up with the new ones?? If I look hard enough I might be able to find the part numbers for the ones on Bucky....his were replaced over a year ago..should have reciepts in his glove box..I will go look for you.

Brutal honesty, I don't know. the best diagram I have seen thus far was the one on 1stsubaruparts.com from which I ordered the d@mn seals, and apparently that steered me wrong enough......

is he talking about what I am talking about? longevity be d@mned, if an O ring will work (Even for 10K miles, even MAYBE for that long) I am putting an O ring in there.

Put a link to the diagram you were looking at.

I know this is probably of no help but I know exactly how you feel sweetheart!!! Not out of work but just barely make enough to pay the bills let alone any parts for the cars. I know the emotional stress/anxiety you are feeling right now. Is your car tore apart??have you already pulled the old seals to match them up with the new ones?? If I look hard enough I might be able to find the part numbers for the ones on Bucky....his were replaced over a year ago..should have reciepts in his glove box..I will go look for you.

A few drops out of a bottle of southern comfort (nothing serious, alcohol isnt one of my better friends) and this post encouraged me to come VERY VERY close to laughing out loud...

thanks for the perspective connie, and it couldnt have come from a better source. I know you can easily cope with what you've got on your plate; but I also know what that plate looks like.. and I am about in the same boat. that little support there came at just about the right time, thanks a million :)

As I said, I needed to vent it somewhere, and screaming angrily into a pillow at "another stone on the back" wasn't cutting it; so I hollered and screamed while I was making my requisite posts here.. It helped add the urgency I wanted, and I appreciate everyone responding to that with information and help, and not reacting negatively to my negativity.

(can you tell i am trying to master a couple of mad mental habits here?)

okay, headshrinker mode off.

So.. I am gonna go look for a diagram, but thats gonna take a moment. I guess ordering them first thing tomorrow is as good as last thing this afternoon, anyhow. im looking at some stuff, but I also have to meet a friend very soon here. Will post update within an hour or two.

Two things. That seal you have, in my experiences, is the one that causes the greater oil leak. Changing the outer seal without changing the one you now have has never stopped a leak for me.

Take the outer seal to a bearing warehouse/auto parts store. It either has a set of numbers on it or can be miked. That seal has been used in probably hundreds of different applications. You should have no problem getting a perfect match.

Even my local dealer (that stocks both parts) gave me that one at first - new guy behind the counter. When I made it clear that I needed the cam tower oil PASSAGE o-ring they figured it out.

Yes, you *can* use a normal non-reinforced o-ring. Prior to like 87 that's what they had from the factory. It just doesn't last the proper 200,000 that it should. Should be no trouble for at least the next 50,000 though. Just match up what you pull out to a new high-temp o-ring.

Dealer is wrong about it being "obsolete". They are still in the system. And yes - thepartsbin.com is the same OEM part as the dealer.

Whatever you do, you MUST replace that o-ring. The old one will be unusable.

The one they gave you.... yeah I don't personally ever replace those really. But that's because I don't generally take the front cam seal off unless I'm replacing it/them.

GD

for future reference, here's a list of most everything you'd need to reseal an EA82

Hopefully if you walk in with the part number, the local dealer will have them in stock

list of everything (I think)

2x HGs 11044AA013

2x cam tower o-ring (between head & cam tower) 13089AA010

2x cam o-ring 806958020

2x cam seal 806738040

1x front main seal 806738070

1x rear main seal 806776011 ? (I didn't order one)

1x 'mickey mouse' oil pump seal 15066AA000

1x oil pump seal 806718090

1x oil pump o-ring 806945020

1x oil pan gasket 11121AA001

1x water pump gasket 21114AA000

1x water pump o-ring 806927010

2x intake gasket 14035AA150

1x valve cover gasket 13270AA001

1x valve cover gasket 13272AA001

well as I had been araid, Ma Bell cut my DSL off.. so My 'net access is very limited. I might want to take someone up on the offer of mailing me two of the seals; I may also be able to source a seal like that through an old work connection.

It is beginning to sound as if I should simply start tearing the car apart and see what I can do to improvise. This is not a full reseal anyhow, if it needs replacement sooner than it could, So It Goes.

Thanks for all the help.

daeron, im sorry if i misled you. the large seal you linked to in your parts thread (the style as posted above) looked nothing like the ones i got from the dealer when i did my t-belts/cam tower rings, thats why i questioned them.

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1989&make=SU&model=LOY--001&category=A&part=Cam%20Support%20O-Ring&dp=false

the top kit on that page is the kit i used.

(summing up all the correct info already given)

13089AA010 "O" RING, 12 x 1.9mm

^ is what you need. 2 total, 1 on each side.

They won't cost you $30, even with next-day shipping.

What you got is a "cam case o-ring", but it goes behind the case and the camshaft, not between the cam case and head.

If you are in a pinch, any o-ring with the right diameter and thickness will work (as long as it is rated for use with oil and won't dissolve).

Just put headgaskets on the thing and drive it, im sure your cars gonna rust apart anyway before that oring will actually fail. unless it already has..... (i think this is the same rust bucket car im talkiing about right?)

He makes a strong point:lol:

just for the closure, the misunderstanding was mine, when I ordered the part. I could not (and still have not) find the metal reinforced O ring on the parts break down and I ordered the one I got... :-\ I wound up just using a regular O ring in its place.

Yes, it was that rust bucket :grin: and that was the philosophy I followed.. Had I still had my internet access, I would have taken you up on your offer [hti] johnson.. but I coped :)

for more info on my HG job, see my thread with the subject about the dirty rocker covers :lol: