Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings:

My wife and I have an 06 Forester. I just noticed the other day that one of my front tires is worn badly on the inside edge. The car feels like it is perfectly well aligned. I was a bit dismayed because I have had it in the dealership for all scheduled maintenance and it's only got 20K miles. I think this is too quick to be going through tires (especially when they have been rotated). Any thoughts? To be honest, since this is our newest car, I have not done much maintenance nor poking around, so I don't know if the camber is adjustable/could be an issue....

It could, I suppose be our driving habits. We live up 30 miles of very windy mountain road. Still, it seems too soon to be replacing tires.

Since I obviously have to replace at least a couple of tires, does anyone have any advice? Do you prefer the OEM tires that came on it, or have you had better experience with others?

Thanks,

belizeanbus

if it's the RE92 tires that came on many late 90's and early 00's soobs, most people hate those but im' not a tire expert.

that does sound too soon. did you check the tire pressure? i usually bump the pressure up 5 psi more than recommended, they'll wear better that way in my experience. too low, or even at the recommended levels and they tend to wear on the edges more from what i've seen.

sounds like something is out, should be under warranty and they should do a free alignment. yes the camber is adjustable via the top strut mount bolt, it's a cam style bolt that changes the orientation of the hub based on where the bolt ends up. have the struts or hubs been messed with at all?

When I bought my '00 Legacy, it ate the re92's by 25k. All four tires worn very evenly with very little tread left lol.... I thought I'd upgrade to some Dunlops and they were gone after 20k. Those were directional though and could only be rotated front to back. I went back to re92's and let it eat the cheap tires.

-Doug

Our 01 OBW was tough on tires too.... in 4 sets of tires, (~89K) most we got was 25k on 1 set...

Seems that OEM tires are not lasting as long as they used to. My dad's last 2 Pontiac Vibe's needed tires at 19k. His current one(05 AWD) he took to the dealer for a quote on tires, they took 1 look at them and covered them under factory warranty, paid nothing for a set of GY Eagle RS

May try the dealer, maybe they'll help ??

I believe you get a free alignment under the 3/36k adjustments warranty (eg wipers, brakes etc). I know it excludes tires. However an alignment will take away some of the bite of the tire replacement cost.

And to others, I don't think any foresters ever had RE92's on them. On RE92's we are at 28k and half worn on our 2005 LGT with regular rotations.

My Forester had Michellins for the first two times and they were good for 65, 70,000 miles. I changed the last set out a bit early for a set of Big O Aspens that have only been on six months or so and show no noticeable wear.

I'd carefully check the alignment and put a set of good tires on it. A tire should give its rated mileage on a properly set up Forester unless you have truly miserable conditions.

Some tire rambling:

Still have the original Geolanders on my '00 Forester with good tread life left. I have read good things about Goodyear Assurance Comfortred all-season tires. Never had good luck with Michelin tires on my old Honda. I was told that was because they were made for high performance, not long

life. Had a set of Dunlops last 80,000 mi. on my Celica. Replaced them with same tires, don't think I got 40k. End of rambling.:burnout:

[...]I just noticed the other day that one of my front tires is worn badly on the inside edge. The car feels like it is perfectly well aligned. I was a bit dismayed because I have had it in the dealership for all scheduled maintenance and it's only got 20K miles. I think this is too quick to be going through tires (especially when they have been rotated). Any thoughts? [...]

Even if it "feels like it is perfectly well aligned", alignment should still be checked, as things sometimes get bent, loosen, or could perhaps have been misadjusted initially. If the wear is affecting only one tire, camber could be out at that wheel. However, a tread/belt separation in that tire could cause a similar wear pattern, and wouldn't usually show up as an alignment issue; also, rotating the tire wouldn't change the wear pattern much if separation is the problem.

OE tires on my '01 Forester were the Yokohama Geolanders - went through those in 24K miles. Went with a set of fairly inexpensive Uniroyal's, got about 35K on those and are now on a set of Kumho's KH16.

Very happy with those, have about 15K on those and looks like I'll get a total of 35-40K.

It seems that Forester's are not ones to get 60-70K on tires, despite the tire manufacturer's mileage claims!

Our 01 OBW was tough on tires too.... in 4 sets of tires, (~89K) most we got was 25k on 1 set...

Seems that OEM tires are not lasting as long as they used to. My dad's last 2 Pontiac Vibe's needed tires at 19k. His current one(05 AWD) he took to the dealer for a quote on tires, they took 1 look at them and covered them under factory warranty, paid nothing for a set of GY Eagle RS

May try the dealer, maybe they'll help ??

Our '02 OBW came with the RE92's that there's been so much bad press about. However, they lasted 65K miles on the OBW. I changed them out at the start of snow season, wanting good tread for going up to the mountains. I put Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on, and have 27,000 miles on them with little sign of wear. I expect to get at least 60K miles out of them, if not the 80K they are warranted for.