Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yep me too

s'ko

Well looks like we have a crop of EJ swaps being completed.

I just started it up.:banana:

Attempt number one was yesterday where I tried w/a friend of mine. I got the fuel pump working and it started up w/starter fluid. I was not able to get it run w/o it so that was slightly disappointing. We determined that we the fuel tank was low. I guess a bunch of fuel evaporated while it was sitting.

Attempt number two was today. Put some fuel in the tank and got tried it again. This time it would start up, but wouldn't idle.

After fidgeting around with some of the connections and thinking a bit, I thought hmm.. let me hook the air flow sensor.

Well it lit up and idle. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Now to iron out the million little things and put the interior back together.

BW

Fun.... isn't it :rolleyes:

Yep.

Let's see...

B/C of the lift, I need to make longer front brake lines, rework the 4wd selector, possibly rework the top strut mounts to correct the camber,

Then I need to retro-fit my OBS seats. Hook up the tach/temp/oil gauge, hook up the check engine light,

make sure the CEL light stays off.

Then its off to the DMV for a temporary moving permit and then to the SMOG ref to get the car inspected and approved

When its all done though i will have a part from almost every generation of Subaru.

EJ18 (Impreza/GC)

BRAT w/4spd D/R Twin stick mod for 2wd low option. (EA81)

EA82 front crossmember w/Power steering rack (EA82)

XT6 hubs, (XT6)

2002 Impreza wheels (Impreza/GD)

OBS Seats (Impreza/GF)

Ignitor (Legacy)

Outback front struts (Legacy Outback)

All I need now is something from an SVX, a 70's subaru, a 360, a Justy, a Forester and a Baja.

I also figured I am gonna call it BOB the FRANKENBRAT. BOB b/c the license plate is #BOB###.

BW

no way dude, mine shall be the last. (there can be only one!)

Well, seeing as I have not even started mine, I shall no doubt be last!

Although, I do have a potential good source for the engine and adaptor plate now. Cheap, too! And if the same guy can find me a D/R (or maybe someone else), then I may still be able to do it this year!

980,001 things left to do....

So I finished up the coolant lines.

Had to use some metal tubing to make it all work. The 5 inch drop made it really difficult to find a pre-bent piece that worked.

So I used a piece tail pipe from the EA81 motor. It's a temporary fix. Plan to get some stainless tubes in the future.

I also have to re-work the exhaust. The EJ18 headers join at the Y and the y ends pointing towards the front wheel sidewall. I had to make a 90 degree fitting to get it to point backwards to the rear. Anyways the angle of the fitting is wrong so the cat angles downward instead of straight back.

Also I have to work out the wiring again. Ok so the terminal on the distributor, where is that suppose to hook up? I figures it's a negative polarity end. I guess the reason I am asking is b/c when I disconnect the battery, the car dies, that make me thing that I am not getting any electricity for the car to run. I am afraid that my battery won't get charged.

Lastly I was lazy when I wired up the ECU power wires b/c I just took it straight from the battery and the fuel pump is wired up so that when you key on it turns on. So when I keyed off, the car would want to run but eventually dies b/c of lack of fuel. I guess I need to make sure that the ECU is not powered on all of the time.

There are some problems associated with the lift. I need to get longer brake lines b/c of the 5 inch lift. I also need to rework the 4wd selector linkage b/c the shifter now hits it.

One mod that I am really happy about is what I did to reduce shifter slop. I cut the notch like it says in the USRM, but then I took some gas line and used a 8mm bolt. I put the bolt through the line and then trimmed down the line so that it barely fit into the shifter collar/shifting shaft. Tapped it in w/a hammer, tightened it down and no more shifter bobbing around like crazy when the car is in gear.

Last thing that I am pretty stoked about is the fact that I put the BRAT in gear and cranked the engine and it lurched forward. I was originally afraid that I didn't get the tranny/clutch right.:headbang:

So all indication are that I will be driving it by next weekend. :banana:

This weekend is my birthday and my wife has plans for that. :clap:

BW

With the fi ej18 you shouldn't need to hook up any distributor stuff, or did I miss something?

You could find a stock ej18 cat pipe in a j/y or online somewhere to fix that exhaust problem.

Other than a few small things it sound like it has come together verry nicely.

With the fi ej18 you shouldn't need to hook up any distributor stuff, or did I miss something?

You could find a stock ej18 cat pipe in a j/y or online somewhere to fix that exhaust problem.

Other than a few small things it sound like it has come together verry nicely.

hehe did I say disty.. I meant alternator.:lol:

re: exhaust I just cut the fitting I made and rewelded it. :Flame:

BW

Update and help needed

Last weekend had one HUGE victory and a bunch of setbacks.

I was not able to work on it at all until Sunday afternoon.

VICTORY was that it was able to move under it’s own power. I drove it down my driveway and parked it on the street so I could clean out the garage and organize things.

So here are the setbacks….

1) The exhaust needs to be re-worked. (still)

2) Shifter needs to be re-worked. I can’t hit 1st and reverse.

3) Battery that I had for it was determined to be a bad battery

So I have set a tentative date of April 13th as the launch date of the FrankenSoob.

Here are the things that still need to be ironed out besides the above-mentioned.

1) Front brakes lines extended and hook up.

2) Brake system filled up and bleed

3) Camber corrected (so it doesn’t look like this \---/

4) OBS seats installed, (custom bracket time)

5) 4WD shifter installed

6) Oil Pressure, Temp, Volts gauges hooked up

7) Tach hooked up

I only have about 30 hours of time to work on it in the next few weeks.

Will post pictures and videos soon.

BW

Ok Shifter solved.

I just took out my grinder and cut a bigger hole in the floor board. :Flame:

I might even completely get rid of the tranny hump b/c the 5 inch lift.

Brakes are almost solved. I needed to get an adapter for my brake lines. I got two make ends that needed to be joined. NAPA has it. it's a 10mmX1.0 pitch fitting. Part # 7934-A.

So now I just need to get the 4wd shifter working and I will be able to roll it.

BW:banana: :banana:

Yep.

Let's see...

When its all done though i will have a part from almost every generation of Subaru.

EJ18 (Impreza/GC)

BRAT w/4spd D/R Twin stick mod for 2wd low option. (EA81)

EA82 front crossmember w/Power steering rack (EA82)

XT6 hubs' date=' (XT6)

2002 Impreza wheels (Impreza/GD)

OBS Seats (Impreza/GF)

Ignitor (Legacy)

Outback front struts (Legacy Outback)

All I need now is something from an SVX, a 70's subaru, a 360, a Justy, a Forester and a Baja.

I also figured I am gonna call it BOB the FRANKENBRAT. BOB b/c the license plate is #BOB###.

BW[/quote'] Im right behind ya

the car is a 97 Imp Coupe

the motor is 94 Leggy

Struts are 99 Leggy

Coils are 99 Forester

Wheels are 02+ WRX Split spokes Hood (if it ever shows up, going on 3 weeks from WA 2 AK) is from a 2k OBS

I guess they are all 90+ cars so not quite as cool as you :-p

Im thinking about "RUBASU" (mixxed up Subaru :grin:)for a plate or "LFTDRU" cause i can't figure out how to get "rubber side down" into 6 letters LOL

Pete

"rubber side down"

6 day bump

Some guys came over yesterday and we accomplished a ton. Brakes are hooked up and bled. Exhaust is almost done.

Camber is still screwy but it's still somewhat drivable..

Here are pics

CAmber

Camber.jpg

exhaust welding

exhaustwelding.jpg

bratw_Rey.jpg

BTW OBS seat are a pretty easy mod w/a welder and a drill.

Take the front mounting tabs and bend them 90 degrees. The inside tab should line up with the stock EA81 mounting hole. The rear inside, you need to drill a hole through the tranny tunnel and used a washer on the other side to keep it from pulling through.

Rear outside tab will be about an 3/4 of an inch off of the floor board. i used a square piece of tubing to make a space and then drill another hole through the floorboard. I took a large washer and steel plates and I secured it with a 12mm bolt. The front outside tab is about an 1/2 from the stock mounting hole. I took a piece of flat stock and drilled a hole on one end and and lined the other side up with the mounting tab. Secured the piece of stock into the stock hole and then welded the other side up.

Total time 15 mins.

:banana:

Let on my list of things before the car is drivable. Is the exhaust.

In order to make the car perfect, I have to hook up the gauges and make my 4wd selector. Otherwise it drivable.

BW

Took it for a short drive to the bank.

I think I will have to rework the shifter to make it a shorter throw b/c it’s a PITA to get it into reverse. First is also hard.

I really didn’t want to run it too hard b/c I am still shaking things down bit overall

I LOVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got the alternator wiring figured out.

The post terminal goes to the positive terminal of the battery

The Thick white wire goes to the BRAT harness.

I took the black red wire and also plumbed it to the positive terminal of the battery and the headlight brightened. I removed the positive terminal and the car stayed running.

BW

if you switch to regular legacy struts you will gain some negative camber, right now it looks like you have about 4-5 degrees of positive. are you using the outback springs also? if so, cut about 1.5''-2.0'' off of them and stick them on the regular legacy struts, or just grab some legacy struts and springs then call it done.

~Josh~

Or, if you are still using the stock ea81 lower control arms, grab some ea82's as that will put you about to 0 camber. You'll have to do some more fabbing but, whats another hour or two on some radius rods with what you've already accomplished.

If you've already switched to different lca's disregard my previous statement. And look at the upper strut mount bolt on the knuckle for some adjustment.