Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to get 40+ amps on the roof.....

So... i know i said i wasn't going to mess with the new car until i got some milages out of her.. well... 14000 miles later, it's time to start playing with it... :grin:

My first project, is hooking up the light forces on the roof rack. I already have them mounted on the aerobars, and mind you, they look very sexy up there (i'll get pics when i can find the charger for my camera :rolleyes: ) i just need to figure out how to get a 10awg wire from the battery, to the top of the car, with MINIMAL damage... yeah i know what you're thinking "oh look, andy's going to start cutting holes in the new car..." well i'm not! I'm going to make this mod completely removable/quick disconnectable.

So, a few ideas:

1) run a wire from the batt, through the subframe all the way to the back, out the gasket w/ the wires for the brake/tail lights, up the side of the hatch/gasket area, and then up to the roof rack, where i'll just zip tie it, or somehow attach the wire.

2) run a wire into the car, up to the roof inside, convert the DC voltage to an AC signal, and make a transformer w. some coils, through the glass (moon roof maybe...), and run a wire straight from the glass to the lights.

it's an 05 OBXT, but i'm pretty sure all the holes/wire routings are pretty much the same as most OBW's.

Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Hm...option 1 would probably be easier, as long as the lift gate doesn't pinch the wire too much. Let's see...other existing openings out of which to run wire...rear windows, down the front pillar then under the hood - say if you're going to put a snorkle on this one you could maybe hide the wire behind it.

is the front pillar an option?

are there holes in the roof for the roof rack? if there are plenty of holes holding it to the roof, you could loose one and use it for a pass through for a wire. get some fish tape to run the wire and it'd look clean.

I took a look at the front pillar, it looks like a good place to go, but i've gotta' pull off a fender to see if i can go up that way, and then the head liner in the car to try to figur eout about the roof rack stuffs :-\

I took a look at the front pillar, it looks like a good place to go, but i've gotta' pull off a fender to see if i can go up that way, and then the head liner in the car to try to figur eout about the roof rack stuffs :-\

Here's an idea. Does you car have a mast anntena on the roof? With a plastic fitting about 1.5" long. If so you could drill a hole in that and go out there. Use a grommet or something around the wire to keep water out. Repair to stock would be a new plastic piece or a chassis plug in the hole.

~Mark

EASY. Poke a hole in one of the side window gaskets, run the wire, and seal it with black silicone. Inside the car, pop off the plastic trim and run the wire behind it.

I'm kinda' wearry about poking holes in the window gaskets, because i've done it before.. and if i want to make is completely removable that could be a pain :-\

man.. i wish it would warm up around here, so i can tear out all the trim again and find out where wires run... :rolleyes:

mmmm... tesla's wireless power transmission may be the key.. i MIGHT need a larger alternator for that method... and get a third phase on it too.. :rolleyes:

but good idea! i think the transistor idea may be an option...

and yeah.. i'm going for a 'classy' mod here, completely removable... because i put other crap on the rack too... and those lights are big ;)

I'll try to mount them up and get a pic today, i think it's hott, erin thinks it looks like mickey mouse :grin:

Soo.... i think i'm going to go w/ scooby's method of mounting the lights, drilling up into the roof rack, and flush mounting a connector.

here's what she looks like:

LF1.jpgLF2.jpgLF3.jpg

and w/ the blacked out covers

LF4.jpg

It's getting there.. i already ran a wire from under the roof rack down to the fuse box... just have to play electrician a little more this week :banana:

Soo.... i think i'm going to go w/ scooby's method of mounting the lights, drilling up into the roof rack, and flush mounting a connector.

here's what she looks like:

and w/ the blacked out covers

It's getting there.. i already ran a wire from under the roof rack down to the fuse box... just have to play electrician a little more this week :banana:

my oppinion (because i know you care):

Do one of two things; leave the covers off or add 2 more lights. with the covers on it looks like mickey mouse. but other than that, i give you a rousing dacing banana :banana:

my oppinion (because i know you care):

Do one of two things; leave the covers off or add 2 more lights. with the covers on it looks like mickey mouse. but other than that, i give you a rousing dacing banana :banana:

i now have to find the balls to dll a hole in the roof of my new car :eek:

DAMNDAMNDAMN the internet...

i posted this question yesterday but its not here :confused:

Do you get a lot of wind noise with the lights on the roof rack like that?

nipper

you posted your question in the offroad forum :-p

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71246&page=10

my answer was, no, not much at all.

;)

and i like the frog.. heh

you posted your question in the offroad forum :-p

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71246&page=10

my answer was, no, not much at all.

;)

and i like the frog.. heh

Ok so it wasnt me and the really gooooooood drugs im on today (i am so tired of medical tests).

Now if it was me (which it may be since you keep giving me ideas) i would bring the wire out at the rubber boot for the tailgate and up along the roof rack rails.

nipper

Ok so it wasnt me and the really gooooooood drugs im on today (i am so tired of medical tests).

Now if it was me (which it may be since you keep giving me ideas) i would bring the wire out at the rubber boot for the tailgate and up along the roof rack rails.

nipper

yeah... i think i might still go w/ the gasket in the trunk... the whole drilling a hole in the roof thing scares me... especially because i'll most likely sell it in a few years...