Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Am I an idiot?

Got a '81 Subaru GL Wagon...and on the dash I have that picture of a top view of the car with all the idiot lights coming on at one time or other. The voltmeter shows 12 volts pretty much the whole time I have the heater blower...headlights...parking lights...stereo...and engine running. Every once in a while...most or all of the idiot lights and the voltmeter warning lights come on. If I turn off the engine and restart it...the lights all go out and don't come back on for a while. What do you think the problem could be? Any input will be greatly appreciated...take it easy.:confused:

all light show = alt output is nill

sure sounds like alternater brushes are about toast.

They can exhibit a come and go nature that you describe

or since you have the external voltage regulator

it may be going south.

This could also be caused by a corroded connection in the fusible link network though.

Check the connections on the link closest to the strut tower

this link feed alt "juice" to the battery and to the car's circuits.

As always this post in not covered by any warranty and batteries are not included

I have idiot lights coming on. It's a brand new alternator from Autozone with a lifetime warranty...yeah!! You wanna hear something weird? I bought a new voltage regulator from the local NAPA...put it in and smoked it...literally...put the old one back in...no problems until lately. Fusible links are good...so...what else should I check...maybe take the alternator and get a new one?

ah young grasshopper, one must be cautious of letting the smoke out

and a quick visual of the fusible links seldom results in any glory

as the problem lies deep within.

Your fault is iintermittent, be sure the bad juju is in presence when you have the alt tested.

But this, we are sure you are aware.

This message brought to you by

Miss 'Trisity and her loyale followers

Well put Shawn, I thought about this first, reason I said nothing was because if he had a double regulator setup I do not think it would have worked at all. He quotes it works sometimes.

Am I mistaken that his external VR also controls his fuel pump on this model?

Shawn you are by far and away a much wiser maven on these cars, please disregard any flatous blather on my part if deemed so.

Well I haven't ever owned one that didn't have the volt regulator built into the alternator so I don't think I am at any advantage.

I think u have me beat there Skipper. Lets just say it would be a close game of Subaru Jeapordy if the game ever was played.

My 80 Brat, the alternator was replaced with the one from the 82, (wife swapped em out, didn't know). So we had an internal VR alt in an external VR car, it blew the external VR, and the internal one would work intermittanly, alot like the problems at hand here.

Whots the part number of the alternator that Autozone gave you? I used to work at "the zone" and most of the guys that work there no NOTHING about Soobs, I've seen the wrong part almost go out the door on several occasions. I still buy parts from there, but I look em up in the computer, and pull them down myself. I'll go see whot the part number you should have for your rig is. Cause I suspect you may have the wrong alt in there.

The part number is as follows: #334268 14118....cost me $36.99...the parts guys even were surprised at the low cost. I would suspect that there is no internal voltage regulator due to the low cost...but who knows. Anyhoo....like I mentioned before...this is a very intermittent thing...the voltmeter hardly ever goes below 12 volts...but all of the idiot lights come on and stay on until I shut off and restart the car....the car runs fine. Thanks for checking this out for me...Later.

• 3 years later...

i had that same problem it was the alt just got one for 5 bucks at the J yard lol oh and once it was a loose conection behing the cluster someone replaced it and didnt get hem all snugg 9ps the gauges went on and off too so dont worry aobut ur dash) Rob:burnout: :burnout: