Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 brat, front end problem

Still have a wobble in the front end, replaced the front left ball joint. It was good for a few days then started up again. So I jacked it up and took a look. I can feel a distinct clunk when I grab the top and bottom of the tire and push and pull on it. All I can guess is wheel bearings. I haven't torque wrenched the castle nut, but I know it is tight. After I checked for clunks I drove it, and it didn't wobble. But I think if I drove it more than around the block it would have. Whadjathink?

Hmmmm - IF the castle nut is tight (really, really sounds like it isn't - but you say it is, so we'll go with that)..... there really isn't a lot down there that can clunk around....

Check these (as comprehensive of a list as I can think of):

1. Axle nut

2. Ball joint

3. Wheel bearings

4. Tie rod ends

5. Lower control arm bushing

Just as an afterthought - check to see that the DOJ roll pin is in place. If it fell out, I imagine that could clunk back and forth on the tranny stub....

GD

Would also have you re-check the tightness of the axle nut.

I've had the axles out of both of my BRAT's , for various reasons. Upon re-installing them, and torqueing the nut to specs, I've found them to be slightly loose after driving around for a while. Bearing(s) not fully seated in the hub, or the axle not fully in all the way is the only thing I can come up with on that one.

A good indicator of this is, car wants to steer to one side or the other, when you let off the go-pedal.

HEY MAN DON'T FEEL BAD I'M GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING.

I TORQUED MY CASTEL NUT DOWN TO 145 LBS AND IT DIDN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE, TWO DAYS LATER IT WAS BACK TO THE LOUD POUNDING, MAKE ME MADE:madder: NIOSE. WHAT YOU HAD MENTIONED IS JUST WHAT I'M GOING THROUGH TOO. THERE IS ONE WAY TO MAKE IT STOP, REPLACE IT ALL AND DO IT YOUR SELF LES SCHWAB QUOTED ME AT $751.00 FOR FRONT WHEEL BARINGS AND CONSTANT VELOCITY AXLES (CV AXLES) I TOLD THEM TO KISS MY :moon: . SO GOOD LUCK ON IT.

JEFF

NORTHERN ALLIANCE OFFROAD

MT. VERNON WA

• 1 year later...

Check your shock absorber. I just had a similar problem and it turned out to be a worn shock where the shaft emerges from the body of the shocker. Lift it up and get someone to watch from the front or rear as you move the wheel as you have described. Ball joints and bushes can be checked with a pry bar and worn bearings will usually, but not always, feel rough or rumble when you spin the wheel.