Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Transmission shop recommendations

My Transmission in my 90 Legacy is getting worse everyday. It shifts hard and sometimes slips between gears. Plus the AWD is not working anymore. The transmission did go out on this car last year and I swapped in a used one. But this one is gone now, I have moved into an apartment and I work to much to spend the time on swapping in another one. I figured a rebuild would be in order so I can keep this car for another 5+ years.

Please share your experience and cost from transmission shops.

Thanks,

Jeremy

That's going to be a tough one. It's hard to find a good transmission shop. I would avoid aamco and those kind of places. Maybe someone in your area knows a good place. If you can find a known good used one that might be a way to go, though I know you already had one put in....letting those places do work on the internals is questionable unless they're a good solid reputable place.

that sucks it's cracking up again.

i'd find a shop to install a used one for you. before you drive 2,500 to slap me, i know it's annoying that yours is now kaput, but subaru auto trans are very reliable. i'd rather source a low mileage unit and have it installed than pay the astronomical prices for a rebuilt. particularly for a car that's not worth very much. if you were in an accident you'd be hard pressed to get your money back out of the insurance company for it.

they run $500. local reputable shop charges $150-$200 with a new filter (unnecessary though) to install a trans you supply. i had an engine shipped for $95, so your market is rather large when searching. i'd rather spend $750 more than once than pay for a rebuild.

i'd also have the radiator coolant lines, tires and possibly the TCU checked and make sure something isn't causing them to fail.

and i agree, i would avoid national chains and find a reputable local mom and pop shop. sometimes searching outside of town is a better bet, there are predators everywhere but city shops seem to be more so in my experience.

Try asking the guys at "Independent Auto" over in Sparks..always got good cooperation and info from them, and great honest repairs.

Heck, they may even do the whole swap job for ya at a reasonable price. Doesn't hurt to drop by and ask:) .

Or, there's Norm's in South Tahoe, they're very good with our old stuff...:-\

My 2 bucks