Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i really don't have any way to judge how the ac is cooling except to say i think it could be better. how cold should the output be? should i just take it to the ac shop for a 'tune up'? or can some one offer instructiuons / link on how to do it myself? will 'topping off' the freon(?) help it make colder air?

i've had it 18 months, bought it with 98k on the clock, now 115 maybe, this will be my second cooling season.

thanks, john

PS: i bought a box of misc. subaru parts which included bearings for AC idlers (8 - 10) and compressors (3 each). they do not have subaru part numbers. given the unknown nature of these parts, i'd be willing to send you one and you can pay me if it works. i would think matching the new to the old would be a good test. i looked up the part numbers with the manufactures but they fit so many different cars, i got tired. let me know if you are interested. cheap.

i really don't have any way to judge how the ac is cooling except to say i think it could be better. how cold should the output be? should i just take it to the ac shop for a 'tune up'? or can some one offer instructiuons / link on how to do it myself? will 'topping off' the freon(?) help it make colder air?

i've had it 18 months, bought it with 98k on the clock, now 115 maybe, this will be my second cooling season.

thanks, john

PS: i bought a box of misc. subaru parts which included bearings for AC idlers (8 - 10) and compressors (3 each). they do not have subaru part numbers. given the unknown nature of these parts, i'd be willing to send you one and you can pay me if it works. i would think matching the new to the old would be a good test. i looked up the part numbers with the manufactures but they fit so many different cars, i got tired. let me know if you are interested. cheap.

I am in the process of a total replacement of my 97 Legacy AC system. The parts alone are $800 so far. The old system met the "black death": compressor mechanical failure, spewing metal throughout the system. I will salvage the lines only.

I will now recommend strong maintenance for the AC system: re-oil and recharge by a competent AC shop. I don't think it is advisable to do a "flush" on in installed system (cerftainly not through the drier), but a good shop may recommend some other procedures.

I wasn't lucky. My AC seemed to be working fine one day and totally grinding and inoperative the next.

Maybe replacing the drier/filter would ensure longer life. That's about $35 for the part.

Whatever you do, don't just crack open the system. By law you need to recover the freon.

Compressors that are open to atmosphere may have degraded seals. But I am not an expert.

Oh, the Legato has 145k.

Yes, you really need an a/c manifold gauge set to do it right. These can be had for maybe $35 from Harbor Freight on sale, and to me it looks exactly like those sold for $200+ other places.

If you go to http://www.endwrench.com click archives, and search for 'a/c', you'll find tons of articles on Subaru a/c service.

Here's a pretty good one: A/C Maintenance and Service: Keep 'em Cool

AFIAK, you only need to recover the 'freon' on the old R12 systems. Heck, R134a is even used in those computer air dusters and freeze sprays.

you can top it off, it's not that big of a deal if you know what you're doing. read up about how it works and get a good feel for it. don't fill it like crazy, but if you get the basics you can do it gradually and it'll work fine.

now...if it leaks, filling it won't help much. check under the two caps, two very common leakage points are the shcrader valves. if they look wet they may be leaking. they cost about 50 cents each...replacement is hairy since it takes a special tool to replace without loosing the refrigerant..but it can be done. it would be good to know if those shcrader valves are leaking anyway, so check before you or anyone else touches anything. another easy fix, which easily works on cars as new as yours is to just turn the schrader valve a little and tighten it up...a pair of needle nose pliers or the like, or a $1.00 valve tool will work as well. snug it up and that might fix a leak.

but...refillling could easily last the summer or a few years, so i'd try that after looking at the schrader valves.

i have gauges, vacuum puller and all that jazz but i've done plenty of other stuff and friends vehicles without as necessary with no issues. i've even replaced a/c compressors and other various parts without anything as well, or with impatient friends that are too lazy to drive to my house and tools...they've all worked fine and are going on 3-4 years old now.

of course you need a basic understanding of the system, you can't just dump and go with refrigerant. but "tools" and professionals aren't necessary at all.

thanks, john

never ever just top off the ac, it can be deadly.

This is the newer refridgerant, which is not as cool as good old freon at idle.

If it blows cold at speed and the compressor is not short cycling, you should be fine.

nipper