homemade lift

del

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3242PICT0139.JPG

Photo004.jpg

The cross member that is at the rear of the tranny. Does not hook at all to the tranny. Is it important, I assume it was put there for a reason?

del

well, that is where the transmission crossmember for the auto's mount....AA calls it the shift linkage gaurd in their lift kit. that's my wagon pictured in your post with the lift in it, shortly after that was taken, I removed that crossmember, with no negative effects (but with it gone, was able to raise my exhaust a couple inches

well, that is where the transmission crossmember for the auto's mount....AA calls it the shift linkage gaurd in their lift kit. that's my wagon pictured in your post with the lift in it, shortly after that was taken, I removed that crossmember, with no negative effects (but with it gone, was able to raise my exhaust a couple inches

Numbchhux thanks for the reply, I thought it could be left off. Have considered tucking up the exhaust when finished.

Enjoy the lift.

del

Looks fine Del... Would be happy if you took some measurements of the parts you're building and post them later... I'm planning to copy your project and lift my car in the end of summer. The measurements would be great because I will have to cut/make the parts at another place than the car. With your help :) I hope to "get it right" the first time and save some time in my manufacturing...

But great job so far!:clap:

Looks fine Del... Would be happy if you took some measurements of the parts you're building and post them later... I'm planning to copy your project and lift my car in the end of summer. The measurements would be great because I will have to cut/make the parts at another place than the car. With your help :) I hope to "get it right" the first time and save some time in my manufacturing...

But great job so far!:clap:

The two blocks I have made so far are 8" long (sorry no metric measurements, here in merka we are metrically challenged). The two bolts that hold the cross member up are hooked together by a brace. One fillips screw and it comes out through the top. Used this as a gage to drill the holes. In other words I never measured them.

The strut braces I cut 4" pipe at the same angle the strut tops are mounted at. I wanted the strut tops the same distance apart, just the distance of the lift (my case 2") farther down. I have a parts car, so I used the strut caps off it (need I say be careful when taking apart struts, they will kill you if you do it wrong). I made plates (same thickness as caps) to fit the strut caps, center hole and mounting studs. When I had the three parts welded together be careful to line them up. tips; Mark the front, make a right and left (do not ask on either tip).

Hope this helps.

Recommendation if you at all question the strut caps, buy them (sjr comes to mind).

del

A note on drill bit size for the cross member spacer. I drilled all the way through, with a press, the same size as the original bolts. Then I drilled out the two bottom holes with the same size of bolts I can find locally (7/16"). I did not have to drill out the cross member.

del

Photo008.jpg

Photo009.jpg

Worked on my lift last night. Installed the six blocks, that lower the radius rods.

need to work on the steering. Bought a steering shaft off a subaru legacy (not outback), it is a half inch too short. Does the steering column slide forward by chance?

Need to work on the shifter. I think fwd is currently unavailable.

Need to raise the back so it at least is level. I read somewhere accord springs will work. Front or back, what year?

Late 80's early 90's. Up untill 93 when they changed the spring design on the accord. You'll want to use the front prings. In all actuallity, almost any honda civic/acura integra spring from 88-00 will be about the same as the accord ones.

I read somewhere above that the linkage to transmission and 4wd shifter would be to short after lifting. Didn't even think about that. So how do you fix that? do you put extensions in the top or bottom???

Will find out soon, today off to the welder to work on the steering shaft and some other welding projects. I sold my other small car yesterday, so I need to get this one on the road. So expect some progress.

del

I am doing a lift in Blu (1997 Outback) and the kit is all good from AA, except one thing. The shop called me to tell me the dogbone engine mount is now 2.5" too short. ANy suggestions on how to deal with this?

nipper

I was going to compare stock legacy with ea82. But I can't find my ea82 piece... Seems like its longer, but not sure how much.

I am doing a lift in Blu (1997 Outback) and the kit is all good from AA, except one thing. The shop called me to tell me the dogbone engine mount is now 2.5" too short. ANy suggestions on how to deal with this?

nipper

If the piece is steel, cut it in half and weld a 2.5" spacer in the middle.

I was going to compare stock legacy with ea82. But I can't find my ea82 piece... Seems like its longer, but not sure how much.
The spacing on ea82 bolts I never measured them with a tape, just used the crossmember bolts to find the spacing. Sorry as long as the spacing is right, I did not care what the measurement was. Only now I wish I had, too late now.

del

That, I guess you could/would call it a cross member, kind of performs a drive shaft "loop" function. In case of drive shaft front failure that, well, cross member keeps the drive shaft from hitting the ground and pole vaulting you all over the landscape. If you ever have seen the results of front drive shaft failure it might be a fair to good idea to put something back there (for what it would cost).

modified legacy.

Photo11.jpg

both stock pieces.

Photo10.jpg

Does anyone have a picture of this in the car? Stock preferred. There is a large end and a small end, which one goes where? My steering wheel is way off now, and yes we did mark it so it would be at least close.

tou may as well pul lthe steering wheel and center it. the steering with therack and tie rods has not changed, so this willbe ok

when i changed my front crossmember from a fwd sedan to a 4wd wagon one, my steering wheel was upside down. this is due to where the pinch bolt fits with the notch on the shafts. i just need to flip the wheel 180

tou may as well pul lthe steering wheel and center it. the steering with therack and tie rods has not changed, so this willbe ok

when i changed my front crossmember from a fwd sedan to a 4wd wagon one, my steering wheel was upside down. this is due to where the pinch bolt fits with the notch on the shafts. i just need to flip the wheel 180

Thats to simple, I need to find a more difficult solution. Just kidding thanks for the idea, now I know how to fix it.

del

Today I worked on the shifter. Two things I have to say are, this is a two inch lift, and this is not the proper way, but is how I did it.

First gear put the lever rubbing against the sheet metal. Photo12.jpg

I trimmed the offending metal.

Photo13.jpg

All the gears now appear to work, no test drive yet.

my other problem was the d/r shifter was hitting the centre consul before it went into fwd. My solution was to take out the shifter and take my b.f.h. (very big hammer) and beat it flatter, and now it will shift into all positions.

Note I have not drove it yet, need lights and insurance (monday), and the little mount at the back of the shifter is not spaced down.

del

Today my nephew came over with his stock 90 something loyal, so I had to put them together and snap a few shots.

Photo16.jpg

Where did that tree come from. I did have to move his car, and man I hate auto seatbelts, glad mine has just regular belts.

Now for a question of taste, the back originally sat very high, and I as yet have not lifted it. Do I leave it alone, or raise it one or two inches?