ej20g engine (on 22psi boost)

legacy gearbox

autronic stand alone ecu

front mount intercooler

legacy front suspention (5 lug)

xt6 rear suspention

el cheepo legacy coilover kit

+++

My problem is that i hate my current suspention setup.. In the rear I use the standard xt truts with the cheep (e-bay) legacy coilover kit and in the front I use legacy struts with the same kit.

The car is lower than original with this setup but the car is way to stiff with no traction when the road get's rugh. One bump in the road and I loose traction. I belive that the cheep coiloverkit is too ehh cheep adn is also made for a much heavyer car.

My car is a "killer" when running drag races and outperform most other cars on that kind of event but add one bumpy turn and I loose bigtime.

Now what I need is some "killer" suspention to go with the rest of the car.

I was thinking to go with a spax rsx (www.spax.co.uk) fully adjustable suspention in the front (where I can impreza/legacy stuff) But in the rear I'm stuck.

Could I use the impreza suspention there too perhaps with some modifications??? In that case how??

I'm open for sugestions as I know this must have been tried before

Thanks

anything is possible. the thing to remember at this point is that you have already modded the piss out of it.why not go further?i imagine that 24 mm square tubing can be found with something like a 3 or 4mm wall.making a subframe is still within the rules:-p ................cheers, brian

well, I've been holding out...hoping I could just figure it out, install them, and have finished product pictures....but my financial situation these days looks like that's not going to happen.....

anyway. I picked up a full set of BE suspension ('99-'04 Legacy Sedan, uses a different rear suspension design than other EJ cars, and a similar coilover shock to the EA82 rear....which is why coilovers for them work) for next to nothing about a month ago for comparisons' sake. and found them to be rather different.

PICT2881.jpg

stock loyale on left, stock '03 leggy on right

most importantly, the part I was counting on, was wrong. the top of the springs are NOT the same diameter, they're measured from different places on the chart that I made up.....so the legacy springs will not line up with the EA82 tophats.

also, the shaft is physically larger in diameter, so it will not fit through the EA82 tophat. again.....problems.

so....back to the drawing board. I decided to look outside the box, as it were, and look for what I wanted....KYB AGXs. since I knew I could get them for the front (5-lug with EJ front stuff...), I thought I'd do what I could to find something for the rear. so I got on ebay, narrowed it down to the AGXs, and found a seller who always posted a pic of the actual part (which now, the link isn't working), not just a file photo. and found:

c276_1.JPG

those are a full set of shocks for a '90-'97 Miata, which...they do make AGXs for. from a write-up on Miata.net, I found that the upper nut is a 17mm, the same as an EA82...so I would assume that the shaft, or at least the threads, is/are a pretty similar diameter to the EA82. BUT, I'm unsure of the length. just looking at the pic, it looks like the fronts would be too long (might work for a longer shock in a lifted application though), but the rears might work, especially in a lowered car.

I started this thread over there....but obviously haven't gotten the most helpful responses:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=239152

you can also get Ground Control adjustable coilover springs for virtually any application, in any spring rate, and any length, made by Eibach, for a pretty reasonable price.....so you can fine-tune your ride how you like it.

http://ground-control-store.com/index.php

I was hoping to be able to run up to the local junk yard to get the trailing arms from that XT turbo...and while I'm there crawl under a miata with my tape measure....but I haven't had time. Maybe someone here will

here is the link...

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65917

these are in my 88 GL Wagon also with a EJ20G.

they are about the best setup you can put on a EA82. a bit stiff for daily driving but awesome for spirited driving...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Btw where did you get the bushings from 14mm to 12mm??

Dave

Is the edfc up and running??

Is it worth the extra costs??

The only thing that worries me with this setup is that with the edfc you have to lower the upper mount in the rear. My car is almost due to inspection and when they see "home made" solutions like that they won't aprove it. And frankly my car is already pretty custom and hard to get through. The "rednecked" mount in the rear would only add one extra nail in the coffin :dead:

Dave

Is the edfc up and running??

Is it worth the extra costs??

The only thing that worries me with this setup is that with the edfc you have to lower the upper mount in the rear. My car is almost due to inspection and when they see "home made" solutions like that they won't aprove it. And frankly my car is already pretty custom and hard to get through. The "rednecked" mount in the rear would only add one extra nail in the coffin :dead:

yeah it has worked since shortly after i installed the struts.

is it worth it... for cool factor... yes. for funtionaly... probably not.

with the EDFC motor in the rear my car is as low as it will go. if i took it out i could drop it down a bit more. and i think it would look a bit better.

if you think it is going to be a problem. i would not get it. you can still adjust your struts. you will just have to get out of the car to do it...

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

yeah it has worked since shortly after i installed the struts.

is it worth it... for cool factor... yes. for funtionaly... probably not.

with the EDFC motor in the rear my car is as low as it will go. if i took it out i could drop it down a bit more. and i think it would look a bit better.

if you think it is going to be a problem. i would not get it. you can still adjust your struts. you will just have to get out of the car to do it...

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

Well I've come to this

1500dollars is a lot for suspention.. even for a good suspention.

Now I did write that I wanted "killer suspention" and i still want that. But by browsing tein's webpages I found that they are making another cheaper kit without dampening controll. And it "only" costs around 800$

Mye question is. Is it good value for money to buy the flex system with the 16 modes of dampning adjustments or am I going to be satisfied with the basic system.

I don't want to buy the basic system to 800dollars and then regret not buying the flex system witch is 1500dollars

keep in mind there are more than a few people who hate Tein....and for good reason. there's a reason they're some of the cheapest coilovers on the market. things like needing frequent revalving/rebuilding.

AND, they don't galvanize the parts, so they're very prone to rust.

AGXs and Ground Control Coilovers would yield at least as nice of a setup, just as much damping adjustability (fewer settings, but the same range), full height adjustability, at a fraction of the cost.

btw, someone just responded to my thread on miata.net. the miata lower shock mounts are identical to the subaru ones, bolt diameter (12mm) AND bushing width. Front shock body is 13" and overall length is 20", rear is 9.25 and 16. having a larger body to overall length ratio than the subaru, so you'll have to be careful about ride height. keep in mind they both have 5" of safe, usable travel.

next paycheck...and I'm ordering up some.