Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch replacement - newbie job or no?

My '98 Impreza will need a new clutch in the near future. The summer is a good time for me to do it as I'm a teacher and when the school year starts again I'll be pretty busy.

I've never done it before and will be learning from scratch. I'm a quick study and with a decent manual can do anything that can be done by following a step-by-step procedure.

Do you guys think it's worth it for me to attempt this myself, or is this job difficult enough for a first-timer that I'm better off going to a shop?

How much would a shop charge, anyway?

My '98 Impreza will need a new clutch in the near future. The summer is a good time for me to do it as I'm a teacher and when the school year starts again I'll be pretty busy.

I've never done it before and will be learning from scratch. I'm a quick study and with a decent manual can do anything that can be done by following a step-by-step procedure.

Do you guys think it's worth it for me to attempt this myself, or is this job difficult enough for a first-timer that I'm better off going to a shop?

What do you own in the way of tools, and what are you willing to buy?

I did a clutch as my first "big" job (did a timing belt before that), and yanked the engine in my parent's garage with a rented lift. If you have a good rachet set and air tools, it's just a matter of carefully taking stuff off, labeling everything, and then pounding angrily at the engine and transmission because they won't separate...

Short of doing machine work, most "car stuff" doesn't require technical skill so much as patience, intelligence, and the ability to figure out what your (possibly inaccurate) shop manual is telling you to do.

You will need space and time, above all- a good garage and a 2-5 solid days, depending on how things go.

And if you do do it, pull the trans instead, unless you've got a head gasket to replace or something. Doing things topside is more spacious, but I think it was in the end a much bigger hassle.

Well, that makes the decision easy. I've got basic ratchet tools & the like, and was willing to buy a torque wrench and whatever specialty tools/pullers are necessary.

I don't have 2-5 days to do this, it's my only car. I was thinking maybe 1 sunday. If it's that much work, it's worthwhile for me to take it to a shop.

About how much is a mechanic going to charge me for this?

depends on the shop and what they're doing, you can be really cheap and just replace the clutch disc or replace everything that should be replaced with a clutch job. pilot bearing, throw out bearing, 2 clutch retaining clips, pressure plate and clutch disk. a good clutch kit will have most of those things, probably not the clips. rough guess for mechanic $500-$700 assuming you're not going the ultra cheap route.

this job can easily be done in a day. there's no mechanic that would take a day to do this job. figure on a long day for your first time. if you really wanted to do it in a day and you want the flywheel machined (i almost always do that) you might want to consider buying a used flywheel and having it machined at a machine shop prior to doing the work, that way it's there ready to go once the engine is out. it beats trying to run there when the motor is already out, you don't have a vehicle to drive and you have to wait on the shop...and they're not going to be open on weekends. the only real tricky parts are separating the engine from the trans and reinstalling it to the trans. just have to get everything lined up right to go where you want it. may help to have someone who's done it before or at least access to the internet (here!) while yo'ure doing it. we can give you tips for that, everything else is fairly straight forward.

the biggest question is that of an engine lift to yank the engine. you will need one of those. you can buy them new for $200, used for less and rent them for $25 a day.

the quickest method possible is pulling the transmission, but that's difficult for your first time and without any help. it's also very awkward working under the vehicle and reinstalling by yourself unless you have a good transmission jack or adpater plates...which you probably don't have. i would definitely not recommend this method to a first timer. the nice thing is you can have the transmission out in 30 minutes where the engine takes 2 hours.

what it might take a first timer to do:

3 hours to pull engine (i had one out a couple weeks ago in 2 hours)

2 hours to swap parts

3 hours to reinstall

2 hours for annoying hang ups!

10 hours total.

Thanks so much for the good information, everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm a quick learner when someone is showing me what to do, but I'm a slow learner when I try to figure it out myself. Considering that it will probably be 5 years or more before it needs a new clutch I'm going to have this job done at a shop. That seems like money well-invested to me. Between a clutch kit (~$200) and tools (another ~$300) and spending a weekend praying that I'll have my new car back together by Monday, I'd much rather take it to a reputable shop. I'll probably save some money by buying the clutch kit before I go to the shop.

On the other hand, if anyone's in upstate NY and doesn't mind a newbie looking over his shoulder...

I wonder if it's possible that the clutch is just out of adjustment? It doesn't grab until about the last two inches of travel. With only 91k, I think it would take someone riding the clutch a lot to get it to wear that far that fast.

mechanic sounds like a good choice here.

you could check the adjustment and pick up some of that slack. but it's not that hard for a 91,000 mile vehicle to need a new clutch. the one to wear it out that quickly probably wasn't very kind to it, but it doesn't take much to get it to that point.

Albany...... SWEET!

Although, I have yet to do a clutch on my legacy. I dont fear the job per-se (I know I can do it... I have the tools) but I am by no means "experienced" as far as clutches.

We should at least try and get a fall get-together going for all us NY/CT/MA/PA folks!

Nice to have another northeast member! :headbang:

I threw out 2-5 days because the chances of getting it all right in one day, for the first time, is low. You'll break something, you'll need to run to the store to get a new tool, SOMETHING.

I think the shop labor is usually in the neighborhood of 6 hours.

I did the clutch on my impreza and I found it is easier to remove the engine than to drop the tranny. Dropping the tranny requires removing a bunch of bolts. I find the hardest part of doing a clutch job is getting back together again. That part always takes a me a few hours.

So either rent an engine hoist or buy one of a harbor freight specials.

Good luck on whatever you do.

BW

1000-1200 to do a cluch at the dealer. 700-800 for a reliable indi mechanic. What is it that gives you the idea that it needs a clutch? I'm thinking if its not slipping I would hold off. But there are always details to consider.

Mike

What is it that gives you the idea that it needs a clutch?

Just the fact that I have to let the clutch out to the last inch or so of travel before it even starts to grab. I have long legs and my knee is up above the steering wheel when this happens. :)

I wonder what the odds are that the throw of the pedal just needs to be adjusted?

Anyone know if the job on a '98 is the same as a '96? That's as far as my Chilton manual goes and none of the stores have a manual that includes a '98.

I read that a test for the clutch is to see if you can get it going from a dead stop in 5th gear. If you can, then the clutch is slipping too much.

Well, I can, so I guess that definitely means that I need a new clutch.

Jason at Auburn quoted me right around $250 for the flywheel. Is it worth it to go for a flywheel from a different manufacturer, or am I going to find myself getting bitten if I don't get the OEM part?

The OEM clutch kit was just over $200, which isn't that much more than a kit from another manufacturer, so that seems like a good price to me.

have your flywheel sent to a machine shop. any local mechanic will have a machine shop they deal with specifically for head work, valve work, engine boring, rotor turning and flywheel resurfacing. have your flywheel resurfaced, buying a new one is complete overkill. it's about $40 and the shop will have all the spec's on hand to make sure it's good and not out of tolerance.

Thanks for the advice. I asked them about that and he said they've got it covered.

I found out about this shop through a friend who took a car there to get a new starter. He called back 2 hours later and the guy said "The solenoid was bad, so I just replaced that." A job that could have easily cost $300 anywhere else was about $50.

He's got a great reputation, I trust him.

I found out about this shop through a friend who took a car there to get a new starter. He called back 2 hours later and the guy said "The solenoid was bad, so I just replaced that." A job that could have easily cost $300 anywhere else was about $50.
sounds like a diamond in the rough to me, that's great! wow, there's people like that in NY? i'm baffled. traveling through the NE is no fun just based on the attitudes up there. maybe this is rural NY?

Nope, downtown Schenectady. It's a small city with lots of poverty, but I got three quotes from other places nearby and they were almost $800 for just the clutch and more if it needs a flywheel. He's just an old timer with a small shop, I think he keeps his overhead very low and gets jobs mostly by reputation.

Apparently the old man has a new disciple who he's trained in the ways of only fixing what's broken and trying to find ways to save customers $$.

This actually in Schenectady. They did me a HUGE favor today and I owe them big time.

These guys are honest, fair, nice, and easy to talk to. $55/hr for labor and their book rates seem to be lower than most others. It looks like a seedy little shop in a seedy little neighborhood, but from now on I'm taking my cars there.

Di Carlo's Service Station

885 Strong Street

Schenectady, NY 12307

518-346-3002