Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Loyale's last ride...

Took the Loyale out to do some back road exploring in the national forest today. After a day of rough forest roads, it was feeling a little loose out back.

Driver's side (well, not too bad, I guess- maybe could be fixed):

rust01.jpg

rust02.jpg

Passenger side (oops... spoke too soon):

rust03.jpg

rust04.jpg

rust05.jpg

rust06.jpg

I drove it home, but it's road going days are over. I knew it was going to happen sooner than later, but I will still miss it- it was a good car.

Funnily enough, the driver's side power seat belt started working intermittently on the same trip (it's never worked before).

Andy

Wow..... That is some of the worst rust I've ever seen on a Subaru, or any car for that matter, and Ive seen some pretty bad rust..... It's totally fixable, all you have to do is drop out the rear suspension (the whole thing, crossmember and everything just unbolts from the body), and put in a new one (unless the bolts don't come out, then your screwed). Sad to see another Subaru bite the dust:dead:

-Bill

That is some of the worst rust I've ever seen on a Subaru, or any car for that matter, and Ive seen some pretty bad rust.....

Move to the east coast:-\ I have seen a lot worse than this on EA82s. Out here probably 80-90% of the EA82 cars are in the junkyard due to rust. They just don't stand up to road salt. My '85 from Arizona is going to be stored winters.

Yeah, the Loyale could be fixed with a new crossmember, but it needs a lot of other work as well (burns a lot of oil, needs tires, lots of rust in other places, front end is worn out, ect. ect). I could probably buy one with less rust for less money than it would cost to fix everything that's wrong with this one, and I can pretty much guarantee that most of the crossmember bolts would break off if I tried to pull it. At 197k, it's put in a pretty good run, and the parts will go towards making another wagon with a lot less rust run again.

Andy

Wow man, thats bad. I've seen that happen too many times in our neck of the woods.

The body looks in decent enough shape, though. I've got a suggestion, and it can't hurt anything. Call your local subaru dealer. There was a recall back in the late 80's early 90's for the ea81 and ea82 cars suspension failure due to rust. We had a few of them fixed when the tube broke. One ea81 sedan 2wd and one ea82 sedan. It might apply to yours as well. It couldn't hurt to give it a shot. Tell them what you are calling about and give them your VIN. Its done on their dime.

NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 90V086000 - Get Details

Recall Data: 05/07/1990

Components: SUSPENSION:REAR

Units Affected: 285000

1982 SUBARU GL SUSPENSION:REAR

Recall Date: 05/07/1990

Summary:

CONTINUOUS EXPOSURE TO ROAD SALT COULD CAUSE CORROSION OF REAR SUSPENSION COMPONENTS, ESPECIALLY THE INNER ARMS.

Consequence:

THE CORROSION COULD AFFECT THE OPERATION AND CONTROL OF THE VEHICLE.

Remedy:

RUST PROOF OR REPLACE REAR SUSPENSION, AS NECESSARY.

Potential Units Affected: 285000

Notes: SUBARU GL

Uh...... I think it may be a little late now, but that would be funny though. And why not give it a try. :lol:

Funny thing is that my first '82 GL was so rusty that looked like it had leprosy, but the rust was limited to the body, almost no frame rot. I love the west.

Well, the body is worse than it looks. The front fenders have been replaced because the old ones were rotted out. Both rear quarter panels are full of spray foam and one rear seatbelt is unusable because the mounting lug rusted out of the fender. The rockers in front of both rear tires are rusted out as well.

They all rust differently, it seems- there's a late 80s DL wagon for sale around the corner from me that has just as much body rust as mine, but a really clean frame.

It would be interesting to see if they would fix it under the recall. I have a feeling they would laugh in my face, but you never know.

Andy

Yes the recall is still in force today. I know of one person who has had it done in the last year. And back in Feb. when I got a 2wd parts hatch it had the torsion tube rusted in half. I called about it, it had already been serviced or they would have sent a rollback and fixed it then.

yo OC_subiewrench M-town is 15 mins from my house. does your rs really have 430k? thats impressive. do you work at feders? if you ever see a brown brat, just wave.

Jon

Not to speak for OC, but he's in tech school this whole week... Anywhoo, It's got 449,336 miles to be exact... but then his hag wife cooked the head gasket out of it though :(