Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help ASAP!! EJ22-EA82 Thank you(A Thread of a MORON!!) NEW!Linkage nosie!NEW

ok I just checked and I have power to every wire on (in) the main relay except the black wire(a ground wire??). That is with the key on, and I checked under the hood, everything has power except the coil. The map, air sensors and the injecters all have power, so what wire does the coil go in to the ECU?? or is it a series of wires??

Tony~

Everything was tested with the key in the on position.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok just did some checking, and see if you guys have the samething: ok the coil is called ignition control on the ecu diagram/pin out. coil 1-4 are labeled as F47 pin 9,10. So I turned the key on and checked the power at each pin 9,10 and nothing. So I'm not getting any power right at the coil???:mad: What the he** is going on.

Tony~

ok just did some checking, and see if you guys have the samething: ok the coil is called ignition control on the ecu diagram/pin out. coil 1-4 are labeled as F47 pin 9,10. So I turned the key on and checked the power at each pin 9,10 and nothing. So I'm not getting any power right at the coil???:mad: What the he** is going on.

Tony~

ECU pins F47-9 (cylinders 3&4 ignition) and F47-10 (cylinders 1&2 ignition) won't have any power/pulse with the key in the "ON" position. Only while cranking and running will they see power. Anyway, those two ECU pins go into the ignitor (which then goes out to the coil) so they're not the problem at this point.

You need to check the main power coming into the coil with the key in the "ON" position. It should read 12V in every key position except for "OFF."

According to my diagrams, and a '90 harness may be way different, but the switched power coming into the coil should be a yellow wire in the middle of the 3-pin connector. This wire should see switched 12V. Don't worry about the other two wires. They receive signals from the ignitor to control the ignition on this waste-spark system.

Also, mods could you consider moving this thread to the "Retrofitting" section? It's got some good info for those working on an EJ swap.

well let me ask you this, cant I just cut the two wires F47 9,10 and just hard wire them to a 12v source that only gets power when the key is on??

NO!!!

These wires control your igntion spark/pulse and do not see a constant 12V. Leave them be and check to see that the coil is receiving a switched 12V as I mentioned above.

I talked with Tony on the phone and told him to check the connector that is in between the ignition relay and the ignition coil that provides 12 volts to the coil. He said he may have to bypass the wire in the connector once he figures out which of the two wires on the relay he needs to tie to. The original wire may be hard to get to after the mod.

STOP EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just a HUGH DUMBA$$:banghead: If I remember right, it always helps to have all the connectors on the engine pluged in RIGHT:confused: all this headbanging crap over my own stupidity. You guys dont even know how big of a TOOL I feel like right now:eek:

SO, I have more spark then I know what to do with now, but no fuel now(this time its a real problem, I promise) so any good Idea's on how to prime the system (Fuel system that is)??

Tony~

P.S. Thank you all for time and afforts!!!:) Next time I will Triple check all of my own WORK>:rolleyes:

Oh Yea one more thing, Mr. Numbchux wiring Harness was done PERFECT> User error

Oh Yea one more thing, Mr. Numbchux wiring Harness was done PERFECT> User error

whew.....had me worried there for a minute!

glad to hear it worked out, and we've all had our fair share of dumb mistakes.

as for the fuel system, it doesn't need priming. if the fuel pump is getting fuel (i.e. tank has some in it, and line is not plugged) it will push it through to the engine (again, assuming the lines aren't plugged, and the pump is pumping the right direction).

so, go back and double-check your wiring. you said you switched the wires around, right? I would suspect that red is + and black is ground.

you're close! there's light at the end of that tunnel....and I think we can pretty safely say it's not a train :banana: :banana:

Thanks Chux,

I will work on the fuel tonight have to work all day That always sux, but it will get done I know. Thanks again chux for the wiring and the conversion manual!! and thank you Cougar for the late night calls.

Tony~

STOP EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just a HUGH DUMBA$$:banghead:

Sorry..but everytime I read something like this I think of poor daerons spark plug incident;) :-p and I have to giggle...cause we all have done something stupid ( me in particular!:grin: )

Probably not much help..but when the fuel pump went out on my 88 GL wagon..I pulled one from a turbo car and it dumped WAY to much fuel for the regular EA82..I still remember that fiasco like it was yesterday..and that was back in 97 or 98

check if you have fuel at the pump.If so turn the pump on it should create a nice healtly stream.if not you have the wires mixed up.If you dont have fuel to the pump put some gas in the tank and use a syphon pump to draw fuel to the pump.After all of this and you still don't run check the fuel inlet and outlet hoses are correct.The port you want to connected your supply line to is the TOP LINE.Fuel return is the line below the top line,and fuel vent is the bottom line.

They've got the same pump pressure as an mpfi.

I can't find a spec for what the pump actually outputs. But the regulated pressure is definately not the same.

20-24 psi for SPFI,

34 PSI for MPFI. MPFI system also has an extra purge line.

EJ22 Regulates to 36.3 psi.

Again, are we sure that an SPFI pump will provide 36.3psi for an EJ? I thought that an upgraded pump was nessecary part of an EJ swap?