Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just discovered that the Subaru oil filter is really a Fram in disguise

Just maybe Fram is not all that bad..only kidding...anyway I forgot to re-order some oil filters from rock auto, the Nippon ####060 style for my '01 OB (the exterior of the filter is Identical to Mobile1 ExP at a quarter of the cost) and I certainly wasn't going to use a Fram, ...so I say to myself, "I need a Quality filter" and head down to the dealer and was surprised to see that the "fit and finish" of the filter was rather rough looking...then I headed down to Walmart and bought the corressponding filter only to be once more surprised...that these two filters were identical,(except the exterior color of course) even down to the same machineing marks...I then decided to cut them up and there was no difference between the two filters and I mean everything was identical on the inside...I forgot to say that these filters are for Canadian cars and maybe in the States the filters are of a much better quality from the dealer ...maybe these oil filters don't have to be that good here since we have only one type of maintenance schedule which resembles the severe service of the US

Fram filters are by no means horrible filters. They meet all manufacturer requirements for your warranty and in this case it may be OEM. It's just that you can get a better filter for the same money. That being said, it is simply a poor value.

The main thing people complain about is the cardboard endcaps that seal to the filter media. Simply put, the adhesive seals better to cardboard than it does to metal because the cardboard has small pours and the metal is slick. The filter media is dense paper in most filters, yet it survives without deteriorating. Why can't more densely packed and thicker cardboard be used for end caps.

However, the Fram Toughguard is an exception and is actually a fairly good filter for the money. Great filtration.

I would not loose sleep if you had an orange can on your car. Just know the money could have been better spent elsewhere.

Apparently in Canada, the dealers carry a separate "value line" of maintenance parts which are really aftermarket products with a Subaru logo. In US, such is the case with Chrysler. The idea was to compete with independent shops and chain stores. The solution is to always order by part number.

Apparently in Canada, the dealers carry a separate "value line" of maintenance parts which are really aftermarket products with a Subaru logo. In US, such is the case with Chrysler. The idea was to compete with independent shops and chain stores. The solution is to always order by part number.
you are probably correct here because the part numbers on the "value line" filter where different to anything I was familiar with thru the "rockauto" web site, even though it was made in the States, I guess for the Canadian market...makes me wonder what other items may have been compromised, for example the air filter(for another topic)

I'm in Canada and I haven't bought an OEM filter for years, so I don't know just what Subaru of Canada is up to today... but...

Some years ago, I cut open one of their "Six Star" brand filters and it was indeed a Fram. Six Star is a brand that Subaru of Canada came up with to counter some of the high priced Japanese parts. I know they had (have?) rotors and brake pads as well. I don't know what else they are making under this "Canadian/Subaru OEM/but really aftermarket" brand.

Auto parts... such a wonderful world. :-\

I had trouble recently (quickly) sourcing the Purolators, so I ended up buying a Fram Toughguard. I'll be curious to see what it looks like when I open it up. I know that years ago, Fram became part of Allied Signal, and it was at that point (I believe) that manufacturing moved offshore and the quality took a hit. It seems that they are now part of Honeywell?? Anyone know?

People get so hung up on oil filters (myself included), however, it is often difficult to find some of the most tell-tale specs. One being the multi-pass efficiency at a certain (or several) micron particle size. You rarely see that info.

Commuter

I'll save you some time and a filter.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

I know of a link to a simular site with actual filtration levels, but it will take me a while to research.

Here is the official letter from fram reguarding the end caps and it actually makes sense.

Mr. Xxxxx:

Thank you for the e-mail regarding the construction and micron rating of Fram oil filters. We welcome the opportunity to be of service.

Fram filters meet the requirements of the original equipment filter designed for a specific engine. Our filter applications follow the recommendations of the vehicle manufacturer for form, fit, and function. Fram filters follow internally targeted design guidelines to meet the functional requirements of a given filter. Fram filters are tested against SAE standards to ensure uniform product quality and performance. Material construction will vary between filter manufacturers. We believe Fram filters have a proven record for providing reliability, superior quality, and engine protection over the service life of the filter.

A common misunderstanding among our customers concerns the end disks in the oil filter. These disks hold the glue which keeps the pleated media formed into a rigid circular tube. The glue-to-media interface is also one of the sealing surfaces keeping dirty and filtered oil from mixing. One common myth is that only metal end disks can adequately seal and have enough strength in the hot oil environment. For this reason, Fram filters are criticized for having cardboard end disks. The issue is, the material doing the sealing is the adhesive, regardless of the material of the end disk. What matters is the strength of the adhesive, its proper curing, the thoroughness with which it can be applied to the disk, and its adhesion to the disk. By using cardboard end disks, Fram filter engineers are able to specify adhesives with excellent strength and sealing properties, and strong adhesion to the disk (intuitively, it is easy to make a strong glue bond with cardboard). Moreover, just as paper media itself is able to withstand the hot oil environment, so too is the end disk designed of fibers engineered to be strong and inert in hot oil. The thickness and strength of the adhesive also stiffens the end disk considerably.

Fram engineers perform hot oil circulation tests on the filter element and also regularly cut open used filters to examine how well they have withstood the rigors of actual use on a vehicle. For over 38 years, Fram end disks have stood up to hot oil and their adhesives have sealed off the dirty oil.

Fram's latest entry in the automotive oil filter market is the X2 Extended Guard oil filter. The Fram X2 Extended Guard filter uses a filter media that includes a reinforced mesh screen for maximum pleat integrity, durability, and oil flow. The inclusion of the metal screen increased the glue tolerances or thickness required for proper adhesion to the end disk. The original X2 prototype development specified the cardboard end disk technology. However, the increased amount of adhesive required to join the cardboard end disk to the screened media resulted in prototypes that did not conform to design standards. We had no choice but to use a steel end disk with the X2 filter media to provide uniform Extended Guard oil filter construction.

Fram automotive oil filters, including the standard Extra Guard and premium X2 Extended Guard filters, have a micron rating of 10 micron.

If you require further assistance with Fram filter construction, please contact the Fram Engineering Department directly at 1-419-661-6700.

Thank you for your interest in Fram filters.

Cordially, Scott Jacobs, Catalog/Technical Service Representative

never bought an oem filter, never buy parts from dealers unless it's the only place to get the part lol.

Any more, I only use OEM filters. Why? Because of the Mitsi GT4. The OEM filters had an internal valve that set the system pressure. If you used a non-OEM filter, the system pressure would be too low and you would starve the camshafts of oil. Had a friend who trashed his motor this way, thinking he was saving a few bucks by using an aftermarket filter. This was the first time it was brought home to me that "fully meeting OEM specifications" does NOT mean fully engineered to work in the OEM application. I also recently compared my Toyota OEM filter to a Valvoline filter. The Toyota filter appears to have some sort of internal check valve that the Valvoline filter does not have.

In short, I figure OEM oil filters cost me an added $40 or less per year per car. That is a whole lot less than an oil-related engine problem.

Just my 2 cents.

mikkl

I don't doubt what you are saying one bit. However, there are engines that don't require anti-drainback valves or the oil presure relief valve because they are built into the system. Some cars don't have these, and as a result, the aftermarket filter maker is supposed to match it. Unfortunately that is life and a sometimes an aftermarket vendor would rather make a buck than do what's right. It differs from application to application and vendor to vendor.

I will say this, the Purolator PureOne, Fram Tough Guard, and to a slightly lesser extent Mobil 1 filter offer some of the highest levels of filtration when it comes to efficiency with smaller particles. The extra pleats make up for any restriction that would occur.

I've seen countless Soobs have oil analysis done after using a non-OEM filter with good results. Like you were saying, it's application specific.

Interestingly enough, my Subaru, my Acura, and my truck all use the same filter size. I can buy in bulk. :D

Any more, I only use OEM filters. Why? Because of the Mitsi GT4. The OEM filters had an internal valve that set the system pressure. If you used a non-OEM filter, the system pressure would be too low and you would starve the camshafts of oil. Had a friend who trashed his motor this way, thinking he was saving a few bucks by using an aftermarket filter. This was the first time it was brought home to me that "fully meeting OEM specifications" does NOT mean fully engineered to work in the OEM application. I also recently compared my Toyota OEM filter to a Valvoline filter. The Toyota filter appears to have some sort of internal check valve that the Valvoline filter does not have.

In short, I figure OEM oil filters cost me an added $40 or less per year per car. That is a whole lot less than an oil-related engine problem.

Just my 2 cents.

mikkl

Thats what they told me when I bought my tacoma, I have stuck to Toyota OEM filters ever since on the old POS.