Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD05H or Big compressor VF7?

I figured it was a typo. Its just so rare that you give me such a good chance to poke you with a stick - I couldn't pass it up :-p

IMO, each setup has its advantages.

The EA82T can be done on the cheap if you have the right access to parts and have a lot of friends with Subarus. :)

When you start getting into modding, you can spend 3k on an ea82, you'll get a couple hundred horsepower, and if done right it should be reliable.

For the same price, you can get an old WRX front cut, have a couple hundred horsepower and be reliable.

In that scenario, the EJ wins because it still has a ton of untapped potential. The EA wins because it can be done over a period of time without a huge up front investment.

I have stuck with EA thus far for that reason. It has been good in other ways as well. All this experimenting on the wagon has really rounded out my repertoire of creative swear words.

My budgetmobile will continue on as an EA car until my supply of EA motors is exhausted, or I find the magic combination of stuff that makes up the holy subaru grail - cheap, reliable and fast. Since that is unlikely (unlikely because it probably doesn't exist), I will probably end up running out of EA motors and be forced to go with an EJ or ditch the wagon and try something else.

EDIT:

You didnt put forged pistons, larger injectors, etc into your project. And you drove it like you stole it:-p

AND, If I remember correctly, it was a SPFI block, right?

Yup, it was an SPFI block - Will have an NA MPFI block soon. I did have a 5th injector on a hobbs switch on there for a while. The new setup does have larger injectors, and I will reinstall the 5th injector as well if necessary. I also have a slightly larger than stock FPR on there. 43psi above manifold pressure, as opposed to the stock 36psi

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured it was a typo. Its just so rare that you give me such a good chance to poke you with a stick - I couldn't pass it up :-p

IMO, each setup has its advantages.

The EA82T can be done on the cheap if you have the right access to parts and have a lot of friends with Subarus. :)

When you start getting into modding, you can spend 3k on an ea82, you'll get a couple hundred horsepower, and if done right it should be reliable.

For the same price, you can get an old WRX front cut, have a couple hundred horsepower and be reliable.

In that scenario, the EJ wins because it still has a ton of untapped potential. The EA wins because it can be done over a period of time without a huge up front investment.

I have stuck with EA thus far for that reason. It has been good in other ways as well. All this experimenting on the wagon has really rounded out my repertoire of creative swear words.

My budgetmobile will continue on as an EA car until my supply of EA motors is exhausted, or I find the magic combination of stuff that makes up the holy subaru grail - cheap, reliable and fast. Since that is unlikely (unlikely because it probably doesn't exist), I will probably end up running out of EA motors and be forced to go with an EJ or ditch the wagon and try something else.

EDIT:

Yup, it was an SPFI block - Will have an NA MPFI block soon. I did have a 5th injector on a hobbs switch on there for a while. The new setup does have larger injectors, and I will reinstall the 5th injector as well if necessary. I also have a slightly larger than stock FPR on there. 43psi above manifold pressure, as opposed to the stock 36psi

Sounds good. Thanks for the update;)

Well, this thread has certainly gotten legs and run! So far, I've only gotten useful info from a couple of people, mainly the ones saying that the TD05 would not be the turbo of choice for the EA engine. I had a feeling that it would be a mid to top end power turbo, so it looks as thought my TD05H will be up for sale soon then(any takers, anyone?). If I can't find a TD04 for a decent price, I'll just get the big compressor kit for my VF7 and have the exhaust housing Extrude Honed and Jet Hot coated and just stick with my 11psi boost level.

As far as sticking with the EA goes, I'm not swapping. I thought about it, but when it comes down to it, I just don't feel like doing any rewiring. Call me lazy, but I just don't feel like it. Besides, if I blow one up, then I can just drop another in and keep on going. I'm not saying anything bad about the EJ because I know the potential of the EJ. But I just like the age old EA82T. Besides, I just want a little more, efficient and useable power. I'm not building a dyno queen or anything. Just enough power that when I have a full car, it doesn't feel like a Geo Metro when I'm trying to pass on the highway. I'm already getting 280ZX turbo injectors, I have a larger intercooler, looking for a larger radiator, will be upgrading my exhaust from the turbo back(again), along with having a custom exhaust manifold made. Also to come is an Extrude Honed intake manifold and possibly a "new" used EA82T(depending on what's wrong with the one I have in my GL-10 now). It will be a job, but I'm getting myself psyched up to do it.

Well, this thread has certainly gotten legs and run! So far, I've only gotten useful info from a couple of people, mainly the ones saying that the TD05 would not be the turbo of choice for the EA engine. I had a feeling that it would be a mid to top end power turbo, so it looks as thought my TD05H will be up for sale soon then(any takers, anyone?). If I can't find a TD04 for a decent price, I'll just get the big compressor kit for my VF7 and have the exhaust housing Extrude Honed and Jet Hot coated and just stick with my 11psi boost level.

As far as sticking with the EA goes, I'm not swapping. I thought about it, but when it comes down to it, I just don't feel like doing any rewiring. Call me lazy, but I just don't feel like it. Besides, if I blow one up, then I can just drop another in and keep on going. I'm not saying anything bad about the EJ because I know the potential of the EJ. But I just like the age old EA82T. Besides, I just want a little more, efficient and useable power. I'm not building a dyno queen or anything. Just enough power that when I have a full car, it doesn't feel like a Geo Metro when I'm trying to pass on the highway. I'm already getting 280ZX turbo injectors, I have a larger intercooler, looking for a larger radiator, will be upgrading my exhaust from the turbo back(again), along with having a custom exhaust manifold made. Also to come is an Extrude Honed intake manifold and possibly a "new" used EA82T(depending on what's wrong with the one I have in my GL-10 now). It will be a job, but I'm getting myself psyched up to do it.

Sounds like about where I'm at.

For the price of the work on the VF7, I'm sure one of thTXIC guys would sell you a TD04 takeoff.

Looks like I'll have to find out!

I'd be suprised if the VF-10 does fit because they were used on the JDM 1st generation Legacy GT. I'm now seriously doubting that they will fit because a TD04 will bolt straight into a 1st gen Legacy.

In that case, you will have to do the same mods to the up and downpipes as you would for a TD04. There are a couple different ways to handle the uppipe side of it. Check some of the older threads in the retrofitting forum for details -

You could always try to find a Techworks kit off of someone on here. :burnout:

I got 35whp out of mine without turning up the boost. And reliably to boot! Car had no problems. It just rusted itself too death and went to Gary Gross... Oh...and the turbo with the kit was a GT46 (I know I got it wrong probably) ball bearing unit. Spooled nicely!

holy crap, where have you been? yeah that car was rusted, lol. i ended up with the body kit and hood from it.

what in all did you have done to your engine to run that larger turbo? i know you had the headers, but i cant remember what else you had going on.

I got 35whp out of mine without turning up the boost. And reliably to boot! Car had no problems. It just rusted itself too death and went to Gary Gross... Oh...and the turbo with the kit was a GT46 (I know I got it wrong probably) ball bearing unit. Spooled nicely!

minor threadjack..

and really, im just fishing.. but what would a stock ea-82 turbo fetch, pricewise? cheap side, I don't think i would be wanting to gouge anyone heh..

I have sold a few for the $35-$40 range

Wanna buy another?

yeah a GT30 is a big turbo, especially for an EA (unless you get big cams, bore it stroke it...)

No one on here does this much to an EA... except that one guy with the retardedly fast wagon... cant remember who it was, Isnt there someone on here with the 14 second GL wagon or is that on a different forum? Anyways, I have heard of them various magazenes and stuff like that, also theirs someone on TWE's page with their oldschool header and a GT28R.

No one on here does this much to an EA... except that one guy with the retardedly fast wagon... cant remember who it was, Isnt there someone on here with the 14 second GL wagon or is that on a different forum? Anyways, I have heard of them various magazenes and stuff like that, also theirs someone on TWE's page with their oldschool header and a GT28R.

When did 14's become retardedly fast?