Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I'm very new to subaru...

...and bought a 90 loyale. Keen car with everything electrical in working order, but has cracked and warped heads. Unsure on the driver side head as it's not off yet, but finding a boosted EA is like finding an LSD unit for these things.

So I'm on the look-out for a pair of uncracked unwarped heads and hope to try this hot wagon on the dirt soon to see how well it does.

Never had one, so I decided to give it a shot. $100 isn't so bad, right?

Nifty site, too, but search came up zero with even the word 'cylinder'. Odd.

Hope to learn more about this from members who have first hand experience at these cute boosted flat 4s.

Any tips for this thing? It has 188k, but has a japanese crate engine (gold colored internals!) and is 5sp swapped which isn't hooked up to the button.

Welcome! I actually threw out a pair of unwarped, uncracked heads a few months ago for an EA82T since the engine they were on had to go before I moved. You'll find a lot of information on here about modifying the EA82T but the best results of a modded EA82T usually blow something. I had a decently built EA82T with a high compression bottom end and I blew the ring lans off of a couple cylinders. If you're looking for some power, I would swap in an EJ20G like a couple people have done. Search around for the Ultimate RX which is currently owned by SubaruTex and also search for Suberdave. He's done 2 EJ20 swaps, one in his turbowagon and one in an EA82 turbocoupe which is now owned by Sister7. I plan on doing the EJ20G swap into my EA82 coupe eventually. They tend to make pretty decent power even in stock form compared to the EA82T.

I wouldn't waste my time with that engine. Swap it out for an EJ22, or N/A EA82 SPFI. The EA82T's are more trouble than they are worth, and it sounds like fixing it would cost about as much as a 22 swap. Same coin, slightly more effort, 20 more HP, no turbo.

If it's been overheated that severely (as if any of them haven't :rolleyes:), then the whole engine is suspect. Heads are as expensive as a whole EJ22 anyway (~$250).

GD

c'mon guys, the ea82t isnt that bad, you just have to pay attention to what you are doing and not be a jackass about driving and boosting it. ill admit, ive had issues with that engine in my rx, but ive also had a lot of fun with it. it can be made to run well and reliably. granted, any ej series engine will make more power and be more reliable, but its sometimes more fun do acomplish something from nothing and do what is said to be impossible.

eh, i say make your own choice on the engine. either way you go, youll have a good, fun car. and welcome to the community.

So I'm looking up EJ22 in search and finding only questions with very long multi-paged threads, but nothing near any kind of a walk through or or guide/parts list of some sort.

I mainly belong to a mid 80s Corolla site (gee wizz...the name didn't give it away?) and I've converted many sr5 to gts and do anything and everything on my own from electrical to mechanical (i hate aesthetics). Lots of ppl know this and they ask me tons of questions and I've made 75% of a full GTSR5 conversion...

Is there anyone here like that?I hate answering the repetitive questions and I've almost had them ready for copy and paste because they come up a lot and I know there are a lot of n00b questions asked here as well and I'd prefer to read my way through something like an EJ22 than to ask every step.

Ok, so I'm going to end my endless typing now.

Hi, and welcome to the site. I'd like to see some pics of your car when you get the chance. It's always nice to see what other people have!!!

Here's a link to a very good writeup that you can download, made by Numbchux of the board. It has nearly everything you could imagine about the swap within.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73676

eek..so it IS like converting an sr5 corolla to gts corolla...

I've located an imported ej22 with valve noise and some missing parts for $150 so its not a wallet-breaker, but I still would rather source out ea82 heads to simplify things a bit.

Hopefully someone here will have a good set!

Thanks for the link, though! If I decide to do it, I can refer back here!

You can get a whole parts car for under $500 if you look around enough. That way you'd have the complete wiring you'd need. And the exhaust parts.

+1

Also, best part of this site: top right corner of your screen. USRM== Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual. Its only as thorough as we make it; they are user submitted threads that get mod approved (generally with public support) and are what we use instead of stickies.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/crackedhead-pass.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/crackedhead-pass2.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/crackedhead-pass3.jpg

DOH! Common problem, I know. Bigger problem is finding replacements.

I'm really leaning more towards finding new heads and so far I've found some cracked heads in the FS section and one at a local yard that I cannot visit till sat cause of that stupid WORK I have to go to. geez.

:grin: :grin:

I didn't expect so much help! That USRM should come in handy when I need it.

Everytime I go to the garage I see it and get way motivated, but then I see the head as I walk around to the front and view a mess of wires, parts scattered about and another head that has yet to be removed.

:( :(

I'll get to it once I locate some heads for it. Might as well get both since I can have an extra if the driver side is good :)

Maybe I can throw this thing in there.....?

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/DSC01878.jpg

There are more pictures if anyone is bored.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q306/Corolla_Frenzy/Loyale/

I guess that you aren't aware.... those cracks between the valves are normal, and you won't find a head that doesn't have them. Subaru actually released a service bulletin to the effect that as long as the cracks do not extend into the water passage (look in the exhaust port), then they are fine and to be left alone.

The situation is such that all 3 generations of EA82T heads will crack there at a near 100% rate. You can't fix it - they will just crack again anyway if you peen the crack shut, and welding it will just make it weaker and it will crack open again. Besides that, these cracks do not cause any issues so there's really no reason to bother anyway.

Just one of the quirks of the EA82 line of engines - and yet one more reason why the T's are simply are not suitible for performance applications. They can barely handle the stock 7 psi of boost. The weak material between the water jacket and the exhaust port, the lack of MLM head gaskets, and the lack of proper head studs to torque them with makes it more expensive to try and build up the EA82T than to just drop in an EJ20G or EJ22T that's far more capable.

If you really want to do it, you will need to o-ring the block, have a set of studs made up (ARP will do it, but the cost is very high), and have a serious engine management system with EGT sensors to make damn sure you don't blow those jackets. But it's not worth the effort.

GD

VG30, SOHC, TT. Aftermarket exhaust, those motors were only ever single turbo from the factory. Nice lookin; I have always wanted a six cylinder from an XT6 just to make it the ultimate competition for the maxima..

..and ALTHOUGH it would be sacrilege, I suppose I could be convinced to drop that motor and a matching trans into my 280Z.. I <3 the inline six tho, so I would feel guilt pangs about it while burning rubber into fourth.

300ZX, Maxima, Pickups, Pathfinders, even 200SXs got them.

Good motor, until its time to do some work on it.. then, most of the vehicles they went into become a hindrance, heh. Water pump job on a 300ZX is a PITA; I can only IMAGINE what it would be like on a Maxima in FWD configuration. An S30 (first generation Z, 240-280noX) would have plenty of room for one, though. The turbos *may* interfere with the steering; that would also be a problem on the EA82 swap. It WOULD be sweet to get a dummy exhaust pipe, and a stealth system on it (nice and quiet) to surprise the ever loving **** out of people.. somehow I doubt you could adapt it onto a 4WD driveline though, you would have to go nissan all the way.

Not that THAT is such a problem, heh.:Flame:

anyhow, +1 on the Between the valve head cracks being A-okay, as long as you dont have anything showing up in the exhaust ports. My heads cracked!!!!!!

(yes, I said it.)

The cracks between the valves are fine. Don't worry about them. Here is a picture of where you do need to look for cracks, in the exhaust. This pic is taken with the head upside down, looking into the hole the exhaust flange bolts to.CleanCrack2edit.jpg

Ouch, I just saw you're third picture. That exhaust crack is bad. Having it welded will be cheaper and easier than trying to find an uncracked used head though. Talk to a Machine shop that does race motors and ask if they know an experienced alumnium welder

ha! vg30et is correct! Its not going into my z31...or is it? I cant decide.

So these heads suck, but the cracks are ok, but mine are not ok.

I fear the driver side head is cracked, too...i think of the v or flat engines like brakes. Never do just one side at a time. do both front or both rear or all 4, not just the one that wears.

This weekend I'm going to another j-yard to see a certain ea82t that a friend told me about.

:Permission to cry like a small girl: