Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru! The most versatile cars on the Planet.

in my 4wd conversion sedan with fold down gl-10 seats i can fit an engine crane, a spare ea82, 2 tool boxes, a weekend's luggage and my happy rump roast across 700 miles at 27 mpg. and this leaves room on the roof rack and trunk luggage rack for whatever i pick up along the way.

in a loyale wagon we fit an xt motor and transmission, a legacy motor and transmission, rear suspension, front suspension, xt rear suspension, tools, luggage, other random parts, and a full set of tires(on the roof)

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive use my GL as a frame machine a few times. 4 low makes for some frame straightening power.

pulled my roommate's full size dodge from muddy "yard" the other day. it rained real good and all that dodge would do is sling mud off the pass rear tire. I laughed because the GL drove out of the same mud hole in the yard in 2wd without tire spin, and didn't break a sweat pulling him out in 4 low :grin:

Then there is this:

IMG_20110305_111216.jpg

brought my scooter home on it, plus multiple runs to home depot, including one trip which included shower stall, shower door, crap ton of MDF and much more!

Edited by Ricearu

Then there is this:

brought my scooter home on it, plus multiple runs to home depot, including one trip which included shower stall, shower door, crap ton of MDF and much more!

How did that pull? And have you (or has anyone) pulled a trailer with a GL? I've been looking into whether putting a receiver on mine would be feasible and/or reasonable.

EJ25D fits in the trunk.

IMG_3533.jpg

Hauls boats on the roof

IMG_3296.jpg

Hauls boats

gltrail.jpg

IMG_3163.jpg

Even though this is old gen, it's still my old subaru.

takes 4 people camping for a week

img_2265.jpg

And boats go on the roof with a custom roof rack too:)

but I can't find that pic :(

How did that pull? And have you (or has anyone) pulled a trailer with a GL? I've been looking into whether putting a receiver on mine would be feasible and/or reasonable.

i wouldn't pull more than about 1000 pounds with a gl... the 16" trailer weighs 1200 :lol:. maybe a 5x7 trailer with some stuff

to answer your question, it pulled well. 120 mile round trip at 70mph. BUUUUT the forester has ABS, wide 16" wheels/tires, big 4 wheel disk brakes and twice the horsepower (compared to EA series) and sophistication I cannot compare to an old EA car. :grin:

I pull with my GL. Keep it under 1000 lbs though, it gets scary over that. Not only you have no power, the problem is the car is so light. Stopping isn't even such an issue with disc brakes, just with the short wheelbase and light car it gets pushed around bad.