Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For my older sube, I've been using Walmart's SuperTech SAE10-40, last paid a month ago was $7.50 for 5 quarts, and a Puralator premium filters (not the Pure One though) for $2.96 a piece at Fleet Farms. I usually stock up on the filters, so the price has probably gone up on those now. Those 90s Legacies and Outbacks are a joy to change oil on. Can't think of another vehicle I've changed oil on thats as easy....Subaru got the design right on those.

12 years and 223K and still chugging....

Its hard to set foot into a wall mart with out feeling guilty. Besides, my beloved soobs deserve better than penzoil. I go Castrol GTX.

Yup..all 3 of mine get Castrol GTX and either Purolator or Wix oil filters..made the mistake of putting a Fram on my XT6...not thinking..when I noticed it a week later I pulled it.

We highly recommend AGAINST using any oil that has a high paraffin or sulphur content (Pennzoil, Quaker State, Havoline, etc.)

They are fine for US engines or even a straight 4/6, but not horizontally opposed engines.

The paraffin and sulphur have a tendency to pool in the cylinders, causing the oil rings to become unbelievably crudded up. So bad, you can't get them out of the pistons!

Castrol GTX is the best on the open market.

Subaru Genuine oil filters and NAPA Gold (made by Wix), Wix brand all have the heavier filter elements and check balls necessary for EA engines to have the extra oil protection on start up.

Just my .02.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

We highly recommend AGAINST using any oil that has a high paraffin or sulphur content . . . Just my .02.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Politics, religion and . . . oil!

We all have our .02, but you folks are able to share a rare insight from inside the engine--multiple engines in fact. Valuable information.

What's your opinion on synthetics like Mobil-1?

Thanks Emily. I appreciate your sharing.