Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GCK half shafts

cleelum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this might sound like a dumb question but is half shaft the whole shaft. Im not totally dense i realize that there are 2 sides but i guess i was under the impression that half shaft was only the outer half that connects to the wheel hub.

Ben[/Q the whole axle

Is GCK one of the better brands for axles, or just the common one?

There are only 3 types of cv shafts you use to replace your broken ones

gck - fully rebuilt to even higher oem specs better then new

mwe - fully rebuilt to factory specs better then new

oem subaru - factory specs brand new

ask anyone in here. the part store brand name shafts arent worth anything. Youll just end up replaceing them again in the long run. I mean in the short run because thell start clicking soon after you replace them.

Ben

I just got mine last night! :banana: :banana: :banana:

The CV is built with such close tolerances that you can bend it and it will STAY until you push it back.

At 49 bucks a pop AND free shipping .....thats cheaper than NAPA "Snap-Off" brand :lol: (AND no core)

Definitely a GREAT buy.... you just dont appreciate until youve held one!

if you've ever seen a brand new NTN halfshaft (OE supplier for subaru and many japanese auto makers) you'll see why everyone loves these GCK axles I've rebuild several axles using GCK outers and oe inners and shaft, they take a beating..they are NOT as good as brand new NTNs tho'..they last forever if you pack em every other year..I took apart a '99 impreza NTN oe axle last year and the *gosh darn thing* (edit for cussing nanny) was STILL tight... grease in inboard joint had failed as well as the boot, outer joint was in perfect condition....

Kaz

PS u can't get NTNs for 50 bucks tho' damn good deal