Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 legacy starter clicking

My 96 legacy starter is clicking when I turn the key ultimately it starts but it is getting harder to start each day. On my older 84 subaru I would just replace the contacts and be good for a long time. Is there a contact kit for the 96 starters? or do I have to replace the entire starter? If so where is a good place to buy a quality starter besides the dealer if possible. I want to avoid the cheap junk. thanks, jon

My 96 legacy starter is clicking when I turn the key ultimately it starts but it is getting harder to start each day.[...]Is there a contact kit for the 96 starters?[...]

Before you consider replacing the contacts, have you verified that there isn't excessive resistance at the battery cable ends, or some other problem that's reducing the voltage to the starter? Corrosion can cause the symptoms you're describing, as can a failing battery. Unless you've done it recently, I'd suggest you remove and clean at least the terminals at the battery, using a wire-brush tool, and examine the connections at the starter and ground. If you have a voltmeter, after reconnecting the battery make sure its voltage doesn't drop excessively when the starter is engaged; unless the battery is cold, anything significantly less than about 10 volts during cranking should be investigated further.

As Nipper and OB99W have already commented, do check the condition of the battery and cables. I had a battery with hairline crack at the base of one of the terminals that leaked very slowly with evaporation that was not noticable, unless you had been really looking for it. Over time, even with proper level of water replacement to the cells, the battery just became weak with the loss of the electrolytic.

The starter contacts are the more common problem to "clicking". A couple of copper tabs worth $2 to $3 can be had at a good parts shop, and your time to pull the starter, open it up, replace contacts, and reinstall. Did my Mom's 91 Camry awhile back - very easy job. I did have to call around to find a shop that carried the contacts I needed ( the dealer wanted some ridiculous price).

Is there a contact kit for the 96 starters?
Yes there is. I got these from a Subaru dealer. Not sure if it's a original Subaru part as they were just in a plain sealed little plastic baggy with no part # or name on them.

startercontacts1.jpg

If so where is a good place to buy a quality starter besides the dealer if possible.
You could order a Subaru reman from a Subaru dealer who sells parts online. I too have had baaadd luck on other vehicles with the parts store remans.

Hey guys! All very thoughful and wise responses. I did check the cables at some point 3 years ago when this all started and I have replaced the battery when it died a while back and it didn't seem to change the occasional clicking. Getting 14 volts on the alt. I am assuming it's the contacts although I will take a quick double check on the items you guys listed before yanking the starter.

I have had 3 Subarus now and every one has had the same problem at around just over 100,000 miles give or take. The new contact kit seems to give most starters a few more years of good life. thanks, jon

There is a post somewhere with other contacts that will work, I think they were Nissan of some sort....or maybe that's Nissan key blanks I can't remember. An autoparts store might have them. I think someone also got similar ones at a parts store and shaved them down a little.

$17....Well the price on copper is going up and up! :lol:

Any ideas on where to get contacts? Wow! dealer wants $17. May have to bend over. Not that it's a pile of money; were talking principal here. jon

:grin: Yep, when you walk to the parts counter at a dealership, just assume the position...:grin:

$17!!, I think that's cheaper than what the Toyota Dealership wanted for contacts on the Camry.

Depending on what your time is worth, check online directories or the hard copy yellow pages for your area. I was lucky to find a business locally that specialized in rebuilt starters, alternators, a one or two other components - just a walk in warehouse basically. Got contacts for the Camry for less than $3, that was a few years ago, so I'd expect to pay more today. If your interested I'll try to get their info to you, I don't know if they would mail/ship an item that small though, even if they had the ones you need. And if they did they probably send it UPS/FedEx for $6/7.:rolleyes:

I got mine from an alt and starter rebuilder place. 20$ Can for the contact AND the disc plunger contact.

One caveat: When you thighten the contacts, it's easy to move them out of flat. That will create a condition where the plunger disc will contac one side before the other. The disc (spring mounted) can adapt to this situation to a point but sooner or later it will stop functionning. Happened to me.

Any ideas on where to get contacts? Wow! dealer wants $17. May have to bend over. Not that it's a pile of money; were talking principal here. jon

I think that's a terrible price too. Try some auto-electric shops or starter/alternator rebuilders.

Suggestion: If possible, remove your starter, take out the contacts and carry them with you. There were 3 different styles/configurations for my '95 Legacy L . . . took me 3 tries to get the right ones!

Good luck.

I suppose I coud file the contacts so they are even too. I may have to buy a new starter. Today when I did get it started the starter stayed engauged while the engine was running and wouldn't disengauge for several start stops. Fine now but that was a bit weird.

Very funny Nipper...Yeah, I have spent a good 10 minutes on this forum whew.....besides, I couldn't have fixed it by now as all the dealers were closed when I called.

I have found that a few minutes of research can save a lot of time and money.

I will, however have to go with an OEM new starter even though rebuilt ones are 80 dollars and lifetime at Pep Boys. That's an excellent deal until you are stuck in the middle of Manhattan; or in the middle of nowhere for that matter. I have been lucky with a "discount" starter, however most of the time I end up replacing them every year or two, and thats a pain when the tow truck is on the way..... Yes, warranty but.......If I had a stick I might do it. At least I could push start it. Cheers guys and gals, thanks for the input. jw

Not if you consider all the time that this discussion has taken. He could have had it fixed by now. There is more to the cost of an item then what you are paying the parts supplier.

nipper