Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, Tell me about the Justy....

http://subarujusty.proboards20.com/index.cgi

If its an autmoatic, walk away from it. They have a cvt (belt drive) transmission which had disapointing performance for a fairly powerful little car.

Tehy also had a powder electronic clutch that had major issues. Sometimes the problems were as simple as very expensive bad brushes, other times it was far worse.

Stick with the manual.

3cyl cars, watch the oil pressure, otherwise fairly neat.

nipper

The oil pumps did most of them in long ago. I've heard the pumps are now difficult to find - possibly even out of stock at the dealers. The pumps only last about 100k or less. Low oil pressure quickly leads to rod bearing failure and off to the crusher they go. Too expensive (labor cost) to fix at that point.

A friend of mine has one with 285k on it - third engine :dead:

If you keep up with their appetite for oil pumps and rod bearings they will last just like any other subaru.

The CVT is universally recognized as the death nail for the Justy - it's reputation puts that specific model of Justy (all the automatics) in the top 100 worst cars of all time. It was an upscaled version of a transmission designed for snowmobiles and it can't handle the weight of the car. Sometimes lasting only 40k miles, they were expensive ($4,000+), not dealer serviceable, and cranky when they worked. Some CVT's were converted to manual's by their owners, and a few are still on the road due to grim determination, or blind luck.

GD

Struts are oem only and about $200-300 each! there were just not enough of them to justify the making of aftermarket parts. I had an auto that I converted to stick and it was Fuel injected. the earlier ones were carbureted. Just lived with the crappy ride but good little car did 180miles round trip to work 10 times a month

???????

Struts from Subiegal,, OEM,, are $85-88 !

Struts are oem only and about $200-300 each! there were just not enough of them to justify the making of aftermarket parts. I had an auto that I converted to stick and it was Fuel injected. the earlier ones were carbureted. Just lived with the crappy ride but good little car did 180miles round trip to work 10 times a month