Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Creeking when turning right

I was driving my girlfriends car and the car a corolla 1995 was making a really bad creeking noise when excelerating when turning a hard right. usually only from a standstill and nothing when turning left.

I am thinking if she only drove a subi like me! but nonetheless I am thinking

1. Perhaps a cv problem. the only thing that is strange is no ticking when driving. also there doesn't seem to be any problems when turning left?

2. just missing some grease although that seems strange and unlikely

3. something in the steering box might be screwed up although this is very much a shot in the dark.

so any help would be fantastic, I have never heard such a creeking, almost bending metal sound from a CV before I thought they ticked.

greatly appreciated.

-nate

It might be a sign of a bad CV. Because this one guy i know has a Kia reo and it only did it when turning right full and feeding the gas. Or do you or your girl friend ever grease anything? Like Ball joints, Stearing arms ect.......

So really check it out before it gets worse........ Best of luck....

I am not sure ball joints on that car can be greased I'll have to look.

how would one diagnose a bad CV joint?

I just lifted the car and it looks like all the boots are orginal and aren't broken at all. the lower ball joint was solid and didn't have very much play in it. I also looked at the steering joint (what ever its called) and it didn't have any signs of wear or have an play. Their was some cluncking around when spining the wheel back and forth but it is an automatic so I don't expect things to line up and not have any play.

I am going to look for any recalls. the car only has 100k on it!

I've got a 97 Corolla. It was making some creaking sounds, replaced the front struts and no more noise.

was your corolla making the noise when going over bumbs or only when turning. It would make sense as when the wheel is rotated the strut turns in its brackets. I guess the strut is fixed at the bottom and loose at the top.

it this how the subaru's work too?

thanks for pointing this out,

I'll look into it, perhaps some grease might tell me if this is the problem.

-nate

There's a bearing inbetween the tophat and the upper coil spring perch that tends to go out on that era of Toyota Corolla/Camry. Gotts pull the strut assembly out, compress the spring, pull the tophat, erplace the bearing and put it together. There IS a torque spec for the strut bolt that goes through the tophat of 36 ft-lbs. Torque it after its in the car and sitting on all 4s

Ball joint

Tie rod end

Strut bearing (whatever toyota calls the bearing on top of the strut)

1995 Its old enough to need a balljoint or three. Its not a CV joint if the car creeks when standing still, or the creek doesnt change with speed (left trun vs right turn.

This needs to be looked at sooner then later. loosing a balljoint on the road is not fun.

nipper