Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS install for an RX

s'ko

So I am getting a complete harness from a 1992 Legacy.

It will include the ABS computer.

So what will it take to install ABS onto the RX. I know that I will have to figure out how to get sensors onto the axles. But other than that what else is needed in terms of the brake line plumbing?

Once I get the sensors worked out. Would I just get a ABS pump unit and hook the brake lines up to it?

Did any EA82 cars come w/ABS?

BW

Why? Do you really want another electronic nanny screwing with your inputs to the car?

You'll need to do a fair bit of custom plumbing, plus mount reluctor wheels on all 4 wheels, then mount the sensors with the correct air gap. It's a lot of effort for not much gain, in my bias opinion.

legacy went the way of the dodo.. :dead:

all I have are the harness, engine, ecus and other engine bits.

BW

just testing the feasibility. I think that I will keep the ABS portion of the harness when I swap it in so i can add it in the future.

BW

ABS Pump

You'll need the ABS pump that all the brake lines come out of and route to each wheel. With the RX never having ABS as an option (I'm assuming...) you'll have to bend your own brake lines and add a good bit of hardware to the engine bay.

I'm with 91Loyale on this one. Much too much work to have something that was never really meant to be in that car in the first place. Besides, most all of the early ABS systems (late '80s - early '90s) left quite a bit to be desired.

as mentioned, the early ABS systems don't work terribly well....

it would be quite difficult. but not impossible. 5 lug swap using legacy front stuff would make the front end quite simple. but the rear would still be very complex. you'd probably have to put the EJ backing plates on for mounting the sensor. and find a way to mount the tone wheel to the XT6 hub.

then replumb all the hardlines to the abs pump. probably have to swap the master cylinder.

and then wire it all. which would probably be almost as big a job as the engine control wiring.

I'm going out of my way to disable it on my '94 LGT. it comes on when it shouldn't, and when you're in really nasty situations, you just lock up all 4 wheels, and the car just assumes you're stopped (newer systems can tell if the wheels stop unnaturally fast, and therefore know that you're not stopped).

IMHO, good tires are a much more reliable way to insure stopping ability then ABS.

The location of the ABS sensor in Legacy backing plates cannot be accessed when mounted to EA trailing arms..you need to fabricate a tone ring to mount on the axle, if your so inclined..

I have seen in xt FSM what looks like a tone ring mounted to the XT6 hub in Section 4-2 wheels & axles page 5, and the xt6 hub clearly has holes contersunk for what could be a tone ring..

Happy Fabricating ;)

Kaz