Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a '90 legacy and my while out on logging roads I have put a few dents and dings in my exhaust heat shield and now they rattle like crazy---and they are driving me crazy! all the bolts are tight they just dont fit like they used to, so I was wondering what might happen if I removed them? Anything bad? Would the increased heat melt any near-by componets or wires? I hope not because I would love to trash them!

I have a '90 legacy and my while out on logging roads I have put a few dents and dings in my exhaust heat shield and now they rattle like crazy---and they are driving me crazy! all the bolts are tight they just dont fit like they used to, so I was wondering what might happen if I removed them? Anything bad? Would the increased heat melt any near-by componets or wires? I hope not because I would love to trash them!

Remove em.

Youll get mixed reviews on this.

I speak from experience with multiple Subies.

Ive removed all of them on many a subie.

Nothing going to melt :grin:

I have had the same problem on my 2 Subies. To fix a low tech problem with a low tech solution, I put the car on drive up ramps, with the motor running, I crawled under the car. Using gloves to keep from burning my fingers, I pressed and pulled on the shroud at various spots to figure out where the shroud is loose and vibrating. Once I located the spot or spots, I would take a hammar and pound in a good size bolt as a "door stop wedge" to stop the shroud from vibrating.

I found this "fix" a lot easier then working to remove the shroud(s). It has been a couple of years now, since I have done this, and the bolts continue to stay in place and keep things quiet. If one does ever fall out, I will simply replace a bolt. It really takes less than 5 minutes to complete the work.

Dont remove them, since you go off raod there is a chance of starting a fire without them.

Several methods of repair, first is to go under the car with a pair of vice grips and tightn all the joints and seems. Second is to use lareg hose clamps to tighten the sheilds against the pipes at the end of the sheilds.

nipper