Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 speed AT 4wd for off roading?

I have 3 speed automatic with 4wd apperantly it is single range. Is it hi or lo? I drove this vehicle for awhile racing around on trails and such, I've jumped it done corners on washboard at 60 mph, and done plenty of REAL offroading........ in the snow. But now I keep hearing nasty things like that model is no good for REAL offroading, steep grades will damage vehicle, ect. ect. what is up? is it hi or low? and what are they talking about I 've gone up plenty of crazy steep grades. Please give me your epinion, experiences, technical data thank you

Single range means you do not have hi and low. Hi and low range 4 wheel drive is dual range. The 3AT is not known for reliablity or drivablity for that matter. You would be much better off with a 4 or 5 speed dual range. I went from the 3AT to 5 speed in my 2wd sedan and couldnt believe how much quicker it felt with just a tranny swap.

The 4WD clutch pack will wear out pretty quick running in RWD. It's only made to assist the front. I wore mine out when a front axle popped out but it was a cheap and easy fix.

If you like your 3at, keep it serviced and it will be just fine. Even for a little rompin'.

To me the car is very capable of Trail rideing and easy off-roading.. Nothing to hard, Just injoying the outdoors and stuff.

PS: A little tranny advice please, On the 3spd auto if i'm going 25-30mph it will shift to 3rd depending on how much gas you feed. Ok now if i'm coming to a rolling stop about 5mph and go to take off sometimes it's still in 2nd and then shifts to 1st. It's not hard shifting and is really shooth so is that normal? And the trans fluid smells fine so any ideas? Just wondering.

-Tom

To me the car is very capable of Trail rideing and easy off-roading.. Nothing to hard, Just injoying the outdoors and stuff.

PS: A little tranny advice please, On the 3spd auto if i'm going 25-30mph it will shift to 3rd depending on how much gas you feed. Ok now if i'm coming to a rolling stop about 5mph and go to take off sometimes it's still in 2nd and then shifts to 1st. It's not hard shifting and is really shooth so is that normal? And the trans fluid smells fine so any ideas? Just wondering.

-Tom

did you ever change the fluid when you bought it? i switched from reg valvoline to mobil 1 gear oil and it has made a huge difference in shifting.

Ooo! No i don't have any mistake issues like that. I know where the front diff dip stick is and i know the difrence. Just to make sure. In Wisconsin what is a good oil to use? 90-95w?

Mine does not slip BTW, It just some times will be in 2nd from a rolling stop and then while feeding the gas for a sec it will shift to 1st. It's always smooth so i'll change the tranny oil this weekend. And see what happens..

And brand i should go with?

1:Run a tranny cooler

2:keep a eye on the fluid

3:get a stash of auto boxes

Ran these autos for a few years before swapping in ej22 and ej auto.3AT rob a bit of power from the already under powered ea82 .Big sandhills were my enemy.Never got towed or stuck ,just have to drive differently.

I have the 3AT in the 84 Brat. There does not seem to be any issues, it shifts smooth, and will spin the tires if I take off too fast. I filled it back up after I changed the radiator, since I lost most of it. Does the tranny have a filter like GM trannys? Thanks.

I have the 3AT in the 84 Brat. There does not seem to be any issues, it shifts smooth, and will spin the tires if I take off too fast. I filled it back up after I changed the radiator, since I lost most of it. Does the tranny have a filter like GM trannys? Thanks.

Yea it does have a filter..at least thats what they call it. Its just a screen that u replace periodically. Not much good if you ask me. I replaced mine when i had a 3AT and what do u kno it still shifted like poo. Low miles on it too.

This is very much like the debate over LSD's vs. Welded rear ends..... people who have LSD's think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread and will tell you..... till your EARS BLEED. Then they get a Welded diff and go: "OH! That's what traction is!"

Same goes for 3AT's vs. 5 speeds.

Till you have driven both, and driven off-road I highly doubt your experience is germain to this discussion.

It seems like this comes up every once in a while, and it feels like someone is trying to defend their ignorance on how to drive a manual..... just buy one and LEARN already so I don't have to hear this foolishness!

(the 4EAT is a different animal entirely - the 3AT has no computer, and is traction "dumb")

GD

It just some times will be in 2nd from a rolling stop and then while feeding the gas for a sec it will shift to 1st.
This is traditionally caused by a sticking governor valve. There is a round cover on the upper pasenger side of your tranny, with 3 bolts holding it on. Pull it off, and pull the governor out after you do. Check the gears for apple-coring, and clean the valve assembly with solvent and compressed air.

Yeah i know the round hump looking cover your talking about. I'll change the fluid and see if it change's and if not i'll take a look at that governor valve and gears for any sort of wear... Thank's!

Maybe a dumb question but what is the governor valve really for?

the 3at might have enough gearing to go up some hills but its gonna get the hell torn out of it if you have anything hilly plus with real off road tires even the d/r low range isnt really low enough for serious hills and serious hard driving. bottom line: it cant help, and it can definentaly hurt...

Yeah i agree you can't really do hard off-roading with the Soobs but you can have fun. Then for the hard stuff go and buy Land-rover discorvery! I like the Land-rover's from theres looks. But driving it is probely diffrent..

-Tom

i'm sure there's folks here that will take issue with that statement. many soobs with a few mods can do some ridiculous things off-road. just not a stock Loyale with the 3AT.

Yeah now that i read my message, I take that back! Dunno what i was thinking? I was distraced by the TV:lol: Sorry fellow Soob lovers!

I know a soob with a few mods can really cook off-road i just had to re-word it better i guess..

I still like Land-rovers too.. but Subaru is #1 on my list!!:banana:

-Tom