Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lowered hatch with lowpros?

So whats the easy setup for lowering an ea81 hatch? Can i just take some pressure off of the rear torsion bars, and cut my front springs? im not talking alot, just 2 inches maybe.

also i have the same pugs that Zap on this brat http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81811

what would be a good combo of semi low pro tires and "lowness" to make a good street hatch?

and if theres any threads that already cover this, shoot me a link please =]

I wouldnt go with Pugs, the offset is to much and you will have major rubbing. Unless you rolled the fenders. I would look for some other wheels, maybe Chevy or Mazda and redrill them.

You might be in for a rough ride if you cut the front springs. Might be some other struts available out there. Wasnt there a American model that was a direct swap over?

I came across an article in Mods re: using Miata struts to fit available coilovers... May be a good way to go. I was contemplating this for my 88 RX, an EA82 car... It may be possible to fit them to an EA81 car.

There's always the old "drill the hubs to 6 lug" trick... :D

when jim lowered his brat he took ea 81 struts and ground the bottom spring mount welds until it was loose.then moved it down and had them welded.would be tricky as not to boil the oil per say,but it worked out and looked ************in hot too.your fairly industrious,i imagine you can figure out what i am saying.cheers, brian

For the fronts I used 2WD KYB struts with EA81T front springs. The rear end took another set of 2WD KYBs with the torsion bars clocked down one notch. As for the tires, I've been enamored with Falken RT-615 tires and they come in 205/50/15s. Now I'm in the process of finding the appropriate wheels to fit those.

Factory:

IMG_42831.jpg

Lowered:

IMG_4595.jpg

EDIT: The second picture is with the rear bar at two notches lower. I'll find a pic with the car on one notch.