Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 91 legacy sport sedan wont start.Help

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm...it's hard to say from that pic. It's the combination of crank position, each cam position, and, if available, timing belt marks, that makes up the whole config.

edit to add: where is your crank angle/position sensor? It seems like it should be visible in that pic....

Thats not my motor..its just a pic of what my crank looks like ...lol

Thats not my motor..its just a pic of what my crank looks like ...lol
er....hehe ok. Do you have your timing belt covers off right now? If so maybe you could put the crank into the position per the procedure, then snap a pic of (1) the crank sprocket, and (2)the LH cam sprocket) and (3) the RH cam sprocket and post them? Then we can tell if your timing is right.

I too think it would be wise for you to remove the timing belt covers and take some pics for us. If the valve timing is off that will definately cause your problem. Even a few teeth and it won't run at all.

We need pictures of:

1. Crank position.

2. Both cam posistions.

Probably close up's of each would do.

GD

I too think it would be wise for you to remove the timing belt covers and take some pics for us. If the valve timing is off that will definately cause your problem. Even a few teeth and it won't run at all.

We need pictures of:

1. Crank position.

2. Both cam posistions.

Probably close up's of each would do.

GD

I cant get close up's..First of all my camera's are too big to fit between the rad. and the front of the motor..

Hm...your best bet, if you haven't done it yet, is to double check the timing after looking at the relevant parts of the article: 2.2 Liter Single Overhead Cam Timing Belt Replacement

If it still looks good, you might want to try a compression test to see what numbers you get. I believe the article tells what values are normal and if one or two teeth off how much it drops. I think it says one tooth off it should still start; two or more no start.

Fortunately your engine is non-interference, so even if the timing is way off there is little risk of damage (though if you get backfiring, etc that is not relaly too good).

Code 11,12,13,23,33

Alrighty, I'll start looking these up. I assume these are all ECU/engine (not transmission codes....) I'll edit as I look up each one. I'm getting this from alldatadiy.com

11 - A faulty crank angle sensor will set code 11 in the on-board diagnostic system. Refer to the schematic diagram and test the sensor with the diagnostic chart.

12 - A faulty starter switch will set code 12 in the on-board diagnostic system. Refer to the schematic diagram and test the switch with the diagnostic chart.

13 - A faulty cam angle sensor will set code 13 in the on-board diagnostic system. Refer to the schematic diagram and test the sensor with the diagnostic chart.

23 - A faulty air flow sensor will set code 23 in the on-board diagnostic system. Refer to the schematic diagram and test the sensor with the diagnostic chart. If an air flow sensor that is incorrect for the vehicle model is installed, code 49 will set (whether the sensor itself is faulty or not). Automatic transmission models use a hot film type air flow sensor and manual transmission models use a hot wire type. These are not interchangeable.

33 - A faulty vehicle speed sensor will set code 33 in the on-board diagnostic system. Refer to the schematic diagram and test the sensor with the diagnostic chart.

With all these codes sounds like some connector/ground/etc type issues.