Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 91 legacy sport sedan wont start.Help

I have been learning..Im 19 yrs old..I just did a full gasket rebuild by myself cause I never had a Father figure in my life to teach me anything about cars.

My first time ever pullin a motor out of a car. First time ever rebuilding a motor. ************ sorry for not being up on the learning curve just yet..thats why I asked for help..and I sure didnt want some ***************rump roast runnin his mouth:mad: .

Good - you are thinking now I hope? Study that diagram and it will start to make sense. The lines are wires, and the boxes are.... well.... labeled. The crank circuit is the simplest in the vehicle. Print that diagram out and follow the leads to from the battery to the starter with a crayon - whatever you go through on your way to ground needs to be checked.

GD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good - you are thinking now I hope? Study that diagram and it will start to make sense. The lines are wires, and the boxes are.... well.... labeled. The crank circuit is the simplest in the vehicle. Print that diagram out and follow the leads to from the battery to the starter with a crayon - whatever you go through on your way to ground needs to be checked.

GD

Will do.

Hi. Also I can't recall if you said you already did it, but did you try starting it with the key, but the shifter in neutral? And congrats on pulling the engine and doing all the seals! That sounds like an involved project.

The neutral/park safety switch thing on the autos, at least the ones I've seen, is on the RH (passenger) side, right where the shifter linkage connects. I might have a blurry pic of one here somewhere....

Hi. Also I can't recall if you said you already did it, but did you try starting it with the key, but the shifter in neutral? And congrats on pulling the engine and doing all the seals! That sounds like an involved project.

The neutral/park safety switch thing on the autos, at least the ones I've seen, is on the RH (passenger) side, right where the shifter linkage connects. I might have a blurry pic of one here somewhere....

I have already tried with the car in neutral..and all it does is crank..

Thank You!

I really wanna learn more about cars.

You're welcome. If questions come up while you're studying, just ask. (Most of us here won't even hold it against you for not already understanding something. :rolleyes::) ) But do try to figure things out for yourself a bit first; in my experience, you'll learn more and faster that way.

I have already tried with the car in neutral..and all it does is crank..
Ah ok. I'm getting confused. I thought the original problem was it wouldn't crank at all via the key, but would crank when jumpering to the starter solenoid.

If you've got it cranking via the key (with AT selector in neutral anyway, but not park then I take it?)

If you have it cranking with the key, and it won't start, then you need to double check everything you disconnected when pulling the motor. i.e. cam angle sensor, crank angle sensor, any other harnesses, etc., and that no pins got bent in any connector when reconnecting. Maybe also try starting while holding the gas at like 1/4 or 1/2 to see what happens.

Ah ok. I'm getting confused. I thought the original problem was it wouldn't crank at all via the key, but would crank when jumpering to the starter solenoid.

If you've got it cranking via the key (with AT selector in neutral anyway, but not park then I take it?)

If you have it cranking with the key, and it won't start, then you need to double check everything you disconnected when pulling the motor. i.e. cam angle sensor, crank angle sensor, any other harnesses, etc., and that no pins got bent in any connector when reconnecting. Maybe also try starting while holding the gas at like 1/4 or 1/2 to see what happens.

I have it cranking with the key..But wont start. I have triple checked everything and then checked everything again.

I tried holding the gas and still ..nothing.

I have it cranking with the key..But wont start. I have triple checked everything and then checked everything again.

I tried holding the gas and still ..nothing.

Since it cranks with the key, and you had the engine out....

Almost a guarantee that you forgot to hook something up, or a connector isn't tight. Go over each connector in the engine bay and make sure you didn't miss anything.

A thorough check of everything.... several times is the quickest way. If that doesn't work then you will have to start going through the ECU inputs and power leads. And that's a lot more complicated.

GD

Since it cranks with the key, and you had the engine out....

Almost a guarantee that you forgot to hook something up, or a connector isn't tight. Go over each connector in the engine bay and make sure you didn't miss anything.

A thorough check of everything.... several times is the quickest way. If that doesn't work then you will have to start going through the ECU inputs and power leads. And that's a lot more complicated.

GD

Im startin to do that now..Ill keep you posted.

Welcome to the biggest and best family of Subaru owners around. I agree with the idea to check for spark. If no spark it is possible a non operating crank sensor would cause a no spark condition along with a bad coilpack.

Also did you have the timing belt off at all? Best of luck.

Welcome to the biggest and best family of Subaru owners around. I agree with the idea to check for spark. If no spark it is possible a non operating crank sensor would cause a no spark condition along with a bad coilpack.

Also did you have the timing belt off at all? Best of luck.

I have checked for spark..I have it...New Plugs..New plug wires..and new coil pack..

I unpluged a wire and grounded it out against the block and I have spark..

I was one tooth off on timing..I jsut got done redoing the timing and still nothing.

I[...]I was one tooth off on timing..I jsut got done redoing the timing and still nothing.

Don't take this personally, but lots of people have installed timing belts on Subarus using the wrong marks; it's the notches/lines not the arrows.

Following are links to articles covering timing belts on the 2.2L.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2SingleOverWin01.pdf

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.2Liter.pdf

Motor Magazine series; starts with 2.2, then moves on to 2.5:

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/072001_08.pdf

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/082001_08.pdf

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/092001_08.pdf

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/102001_08.pdf

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Pdf/112001_08.pdf