Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 91 legacy sport sedan wont start.Help

So this is my first post on this site.

I was refered here from AWDpirates.net.

I was told I could get some help here too.

So I just did a full gasket rebuilt on my motor. Top and Bottom. Now she wont start. All it does is click. One time it tried to turn over then I tried it again and..Nothing.

I have checked my ground and everything I can think of.

I have a new battery in the car.

It could be the starter, but im just checkin again before i go spend $100 on a new starter.

Any ideas?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi scoobyleg1 and welcome.gif

Is this an auto trans or manual trans?

First thing I would try is using say a 20 amp fused jumper wire from the battery + terminal to the starter solenoid and see if it cranks then. If it cranks then the problem is somewhere upstream. If it does not crank then the starter itself may be having an issue. Is the large ground cable from teh battery that connects to one of the starter bolts reconnected? Battery cables nice and clean and tight after the new battery install? Battery passes load test?

starter1a.jpg

Does your starter make any sound (like a click)? If it's not engaging (esp. if it's clicking), then your starter solenoid might be toast (new starter needed). Try hitting the starter w/ something while cranking; that will jump the solenoid and turn the starter motor if that's the problem.

Good luck

Ah ok...could be the starter contacts then, or a bad + bat or ground connection.

The contacts are only a couple dollars, might be able to get them at napa or someplace. There is a good thread on here somewhere with pics of the starter taken apart and the pitted contacts. Didn't look too hard to do.

Hm...okay, well if you tried the jumper wire to the starter solenoid and already tried starter contacts, then it pretty much has to be one or more of the following: (a) new battery is faulty, (B) starter + batt bad connection, © starter ground connection bad, (d) some other internal fault in starter i.e. try different starter.

Hm...okay, well if you tried the jumper wire to the starter solenoid and already tried starter contacts, then it pretty much has to be one or more of the following: (a) new battery is faulty, (B) starter + batt bad connection, © starter ground connection bad, (d) some other internal fault in starter i.e. try different starter.

Guess I have to get a new starter.

I took the new batt. back and got another one. Same thing.

when I touch the wire on the starter that goes to the batt. and the lil tab that sticks up on the starter, I touch then with screw driver and it tries to turn over..but when I try and start it from inside the car I get nothing.

Ignition switch?

Ok, now we might be getting somewhere.

If it cranks like normal with the jumper method, but just isn't starting, then the starter is fine.

If when you have the solenoid wire/connector hooked up to the starter, and you get no crank when putting the key to 'start', then it's something upstream of the starter, such as ignition switch or neutral safety switch or maybe even a fuse of some sort.

If you try the jumper method, with the key in run, I think it should start.

Ok, now we might be getting somewhere.

If it cranks like normal with the jumper method, but just isn't starting, then the starter is fine.

If when you have the solenoid wire/connector hooked up to the starter, and you get no crank when putting the key to 'start', then it's something upstream of the starter, such as ignition switch or neutral safety switch or maybe even a fuse of some sort.

If you try the jumper method, with the key in run, I think it should start.

I checked all the fuses and the are all good.

Where is the neutral safty switch located at?

That pic is way beyond my knowledge..lol

Well - all the help that can be given.... has been given. This is a pretty simple problem and you are going to need to step outside your box and LEARN something now. Thowing up your hands isn't going to help, or engender faith from board members that further explanations will not fall on deaf ears. That's a really, really plain and simple daigram with everything labeled. Study it for an hour and I'm sure something will sink in.

If it doesn't.... buy a new car with a warrantee because I've got some news for you: You can't wrench.

GD

Well - all the help that can be given.... has been given. This is a pretty simple problem and you are going to need to step outside your box and LEARN something now. Thowing up your hands isn't going to help, or engender faith from board members that further explanations will not fall on deaf ears. That's a really, really plain and simple daigram with everything labeled. Study it for an hour and I'm sure something will sink in.

If it doesn't.... buy a new car with a warrantee because I've got some news for you: You can't wrench.

GD

I have been learning..Im 19 yrs old..I just did a full gasket rebuild by myself cause I never had a Father figure in my life to teach me anything about cars.

My first time ever pullin a motor out of a car. First time ever rebuilding a motor. ************ sorry for not being up on the learning curve just yet..thats why I asked for help..and I sure didnt want some ***************rump roast runnin his mouth:mad: .

I have been learning..Im 19 yrs old..I just did a full gasket rebuild by myself cause I never had a Father figure in my life to teach me anything about cars.

My first time ever pullin a motor out of a car. First time ever rebuilding a motor. ************ sorry for not being up on the learning curve just yet..thats why I asked for help..and I sure didnt want some ***************rump roast runnin his mouth:mad: .

Good luck with the starter on your Legacy. Please let us know how it goes with it. -sq93