Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Lug Question *Wheels On*

This is my first question on this side of the board so here it goes. Guy I know has a set of WRX wheels that he wants gone so I will be going to get them this weekend and plan on putting them on my 91 Legacy. Will I need to get different lug nuts for it from the dealership so that they can fit on the legacy?

You'll be fine with the stock open ended lugs, but once salt and stuff gets to them they can be a pain to get off.... Ask me how I know...

You can use the closed end accorn style off the parts cars you have, there should be enough between the two of them to gather 20 and still have the wheels held on.

I suggest getting Subaru OEM lugs. The open ended ones will work but they are a royal pain to get off again. Plus they don't look as snazzy.

I tried aftermarkets but they weren't the proper depth and stuck out, plus the they were cheaper chrome plating.

I think the OEMs were about $45 at the dealers.

Right on, if the wheels are 5x100 you should be good. Some newer soobs especially STI's have 5x114 or something like that; those would not work.

If you use oil or antisieze or anything on the lugs, you need to consider that most OEM torque specs are for clean dry fasteners. Typically with antisieze you need to reduce torque by up to 1/3.

Hi 86BRATMAN!

Like with spark plugs, I believe the subaru service manual says if antisieze is used to reduce the torque by 1/3. It all depends on the torque spec. Like for the crank pulley bolt, the procedure is to apply engine oil before torquing; so no need to reduce the torque there. Other fasteners the torque spec is for clean dry threads. In that case applying antisieze or oil and then torquing to the clean&dry spec may result in over tightening.

Yes, it does sound odd, but applying any kind of lubricant to dry threads, can cause the stud/bolt to be over-tensioned.

It works this way:

- tightening a screwed joint, causes the stud or bolt to stretch, and to develop tension. The more you tighten, the more the bolt stretches.

- on the one hand, if the threads are dirty/rusty, one cannot turn the nut very much. Yes you can apply lots of torque, but the bolt won't stretch very much.

- on the other hand, apply lubricant to the threads (ANY lubricant, even water or anti-seize), and one can turn the nut easily, and the bolt can be tensioned a lot.

So, when applying a known torque (say, 65 ft.Lbs) to dirty threads, not much happens.

But apply the same 65 ft.Lbs torque to shiny-clean slippery-threads, and the resultant bolt tension can be enough to over-tension the bolt.

It's the bolt tension that holds the wheels on, not the applied torque.

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I am excited about getting these wheels tomorrow and will post some pics of them when I get a chance. Dude said they came on his legacy wagon and wanted them out of his garage being that he didn't like them. So they are going on my 91 legacy that has bald tires and going to go with that.

Set out today in the early A.M. with a major sinus infection. It rained today pretty much exactly like the day I went and got my BRAT. Met up with my WRX buddy who knows this guy and we went to meet him; Wheels and tires with enough tread left, for free!

Here is some pics from today:

101_0118.jpg

Here is what the tread looks like:

101_0119.jpg

Here is my 91 Legacy:

100_0505.jpg

Here is some of my buddies WRX with me in the BRAT:

th_101_0116.jpg

th_101_0114.jpg

th_101_0113.jpg

forester2002...

..I understand the logic, but copper grease/paste has a high viscosity and I wouldn't bank on it reducing friction in the bolt threads.

The anti-seize aspect is the greases ability to keep water/dirt out of the threads, and stop nut/bolt rusting together, as opposed to lubricating.

That brat seems pretty smooth and quiet from the inside.

Dude had it all replaced from the cat back when I bought it like a week prior. With the back glass open and shifting I can hear a slight boxer rumble out the back. Hard to really hear much of the EA81, he's got a loud Apex-i exhaust on that thing.

Those wheels are the ones that are on the black center-fold WRX in the 05 brochure. I am very excited about getting these wheels on; Should be doing that this weekend. Will have pics uploaded then as well as what the tires look like thats currently on it.

Kyle.