Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what to do with my trubled suby?

i have recently bought a '91 lagacy ls w/ 138k for $2,000. i thought that it was a great purches but i recently found out that the clutch pack is blown and i'm opperating w/ only one wheel drive. not so cool at 8,000 ft. in the winter. i have found a 50k tranny from japan for $950, $50 for delivery. installed that would be $1,350 +. i'm tempted, but i can see that there are other problems right around the corner(i.e. suspension, oil leaks repair, tires). taking suggestions, should i take the plunge or cut my losses?

You can replace *just* the clutch pack. There's no need to replace the whole tranny, or even remove it from the car. The transfer clutches are in the rear output, which can be seperated from the rest of the transmission. Do a search here for "torque bind" as this will detail the procedure for R&R'ing the transfer clutches.

That's very low mileage for a 91 overall. Besides the transmission I would be looking at making sure the timing belt has been done (should have been due around 120k). If not then the oil leaks can be addressed at the same time.

Maintenance is a reality. If you can't handle it and see the obvious benefits to that course of action (no payments, low insurance, etc) then perhaps a new car is right for you - you will get a warrantee, and a gauranteed monthly payment. Instead of you deciding how to spend your money the bank and insurance agency will decide for you.

Invest in some tools - you'll save money, and know the job is done right. Plus it gives you a freedom that most car owners never experience.

GD

i have recently bought a '91 lagacy ls w/ 138k for $2,000. i thought that it was a great purches but i recently found out that the clutch pack is blown and i'm opperating w/ only one wheel drive. not so cool at 8,000 ft. in the winter. i have found a 50k tranny from japan for $950, $50 for delivery. installed that would be $1,350 +. i'm tempted, but i can see that there are other problems right around the corner(i.e. suspension, oil leaks repair, tires). taking suggestions, should i take the plunge or cut my losses?

You bought a 16 year old car with (at least) 138,000 miles on it -- how exactly would you "cut your losses?" If you sold it you would likely get far less than the $2,000 you paid for it (unless you did not disclose the defects to the next buyer), so you'd still be out some dollars.

I am continually amazed when someone buys a used, tired old car and does not think that it will need any maintenance or repair work. Come on! Fix the problems and enjoy the car -- even with the repairs it cost a whole lot less than a new one.

Grumpy this morning,

Steve

Look for a tranny on http://www.car-part.com. Subaru auto trannys are suppose to be pretty tough, so chances are you'll get a decent one used.

There's a thread here about the longevity of the sube auto trans.