Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 from my brat swap unfortunatly was filled with water when i was testing the motor and unfortunatly it is now below freezing.

this is the first i have thought about it! checked and the rad is pretty frozen solid aswell as the hoses...

anybody think i wrecked the motor??? obviously i can't really start it up until it warms up which it should in a few days.

i didn't see any visible leaks or anything but i won't really know until it warms up.

anti-freeze will be going in SOON!!! i'm just worried i cracked the motor or something after all the hard work i put into it with the rebuild... :(

That is what freeze plugs are for. I am sure your engine is most likely fine. Lesson well learned though.

i checked to see if the freeze plugs popped or not, but i can't seem to find them, or where they would be on this motor... where are they located?:confused:

YOu may have done some real damage.

As it thaws out, check for puddles. There arent that many freeze out plugs. There was another post on here last year about the same thing, and he ruined the engine. Th radiator may not be in good shape either.

Once the engine has thawed out, If you cant pressure check the cooling system, check the water and oil level. Make sure no water has gotten in the crancase. Next top off with water, and start the engine up and se how it behaves. Let it build up pressure. If all seems well and no leaks, removes the water and refill with coolant.

You may get lucky.

i had the same thing happen on my ea82 i know its a different engine but this aplys here i had to get to class and all the water in my engine froze so i just unhooked the waterpump belt (i know big no no) but useda smaller belt to run everything els it got warmed up and thawed the water in the block and the rad. might work for you too but be careful.

i had the same thing happen on my ea82 i know its a different engine but this aplys here i had to get to class and all the water in my engine froze so i just unhooked the waterpump belt (i know big no no) but useda smaller belt to run everything els it got warmed up and thawed the water in the block and the rad. might work for you too but be careful.

yes dont run the waterpump on a frozen engine.

Its muchsafer to warm the engine up so all the ice melts. Its possible to get a steam pocket in the engine, and have a serious situation.

nipper

can't do this to an ej motor anyways as the water pump runs off the timing belt...

i guess i'll just have to wait and see what happens... i also just realized that this motor had a block heater on it but i think i lost the cable for it. will have a look for it tonight and see what happens! :(

You could go to a heated shop let it sit there and let it thaw out. After it thaws out you can start it for a moment. Then Chagne the coolant with actual coolant.

What tow it? I'm getting the impression he doesn't want to try to start it.

But I would suggest getting it thawed soon. Before it freezes even more solid and expands more. I'm betting that you're radiator will be toast.

take your raw hands and rub them really really fast on the valve covers, the friction alone will heat up your block. :banana:

+1

:lol:

The block heater would be the way to go if you can find the cable.

if you can get a kero heater under there, and a TON of tin foil!!! :rolleyes: