Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Never owned a Justy before... anything to know?

I'm looking at buying a 1994 awd (are they awd or 4wd?) subaru justy, 5 speed (I've read enough in the archives here to stay away from the CVT's). No rust, 140k miles. I've always had EA81's and EA82's, but I use the EA82 mostly for commuting... and it's silly to only get 27mpg when I could be getting 40... I do use the 4wd regularly, and while I like the lo range... it's not a daily use like 4wd is. Plus, the EA82 has 235k miles on it... not going to last forever though it seems like it might sometimes...

So... what should I know. Is the '94 Justy fuel injected? How does the power compare to an SPFI EA82? Special maintenance items I should look for? How do they do in the snow compared to the 4wd EA series ones? Can I expect it to keep going for 200k+ miles? Are they as easy to work on as the EA series ones?

Thanks

Z

I think they're 4wd, if theres an orange button on top of the shifter, then its 4wd. It should be fuel injected, mpfi iirc. I havent heard much good about justys, except for the mileage, and from what I hear, to work on either the water pump or oil pump is a pain in the rump roast. Good luck to you if you decide to buy it.

I'm looking at buying a 1994 awd (are they awd or 4wd?) subaru justy, 5 speed (I've read enough in the archives here to stay away from the CVT's). No rust, 140k miles. I've always had EA81's and EA82's, but I use the EA82 mostly for commuting... and it's silly to only get 27mpg when I could be getting 40... I do use the 4wd regularly, and while I like the lo range... it's not a daily use like 4wd is. Plus, the EA82 has 235k miles on it... not going to last forever though it seems like it might sometimes...

So... what should I know. Is the '94 Justy fuel injected? How does the power compare to an SPFI EA82? Special maintenance items I should look for? How do they do in the snow compared to the 4wd EA series ones? Can I expect it to keep going for 200k+ miles? Are they as easy to work on as the EA series ones?

Thanks

Z

http://subarujusty.proboards20.com/index.cgi

they are either FWD or manual 4wd.

Oil pumps are a little weak. The cars are not that bad to work on or repair.

nipper

Easy to work on. As long as you keep an eye on stuff as with any car you should be ok.

As Nipper stated about the oil pump they are the weak point of the engine, I would replace it when you buy the car just for peace of mind. Great little cars though. My brother is looking for one as well right now.

I drive a 88 right now and it`s a blast. Talk about a real head-turner since it`s probably the only one in a 150mi radius of my location. They have fantastic power to weight ratio with great gas mileage. A 94 is FI and not as many problems as the GEN1 carb models. The engine has a major flaw with the oil pump design and are prone to failure, but I`ve been fortunate so far. My car is a manual GL-4wd. Avoid the automatic transmission since they are failure prone also...RONAN

• 6 months later...

Reviving a dead thread....:grin:

I just bought one yesterday. 1991 4 door. Sort of schmurple colored. It is getting a brand new (rebuilt) engine from TNT in Denver with a 3 year 36k warrantee, and the rest of the car is great. no rust or dents or such and the interior is nice too. $2100 all together, but I was looking at alot to get the GL back to tip top condition too... Engine is still fine with 242k, but needs brakes, a wheel bearing I think, a water pump soon, radio is being sketchy, windshield cracked pretty bad, and I really really want A/C this summer (as does my dog -- newfie malamute mix)... which the Justy has, and the GL needs a new A/C compressor -- not so cheap.... Plus, commuting 57 miles a day round trip.... 29mpg vs ?? in the justy? I'm hoping for at least high 30's. Plus, my neighbor is taking a job at the same company as me, so we can carpool. Even better. :grin: I'll probably keep the GL as a backup... or maybe fix it up just for the urgent things, and sell it to one of my friends who's still commuting in a pickup truck..... that's gotta hurt.

I wonder if the 13" alloy wheels off my VW rabbit will fit... looks like the 4x100 pattern on it... :cool:

I'll post some pics next week after I pick it up. I'm thinking of making a brush guard for the front, to make it seem more formidable to big SUV's :lol: Even my GL looks kinda big parked next to it.

Are you going to drive it with all those ladders on top too?:-p

I was working on a customer's just the other day. He grenaded the rear wheel bearing so bad the inner race had tore up the drum. We tried to order a new one, no luck... Got a used one, closest was in the Springs 100 miles away... The car in general has been kinda hard to get parts for in the past.

Other then that it is kinda rough, being a 3 banger.. but it's quick.:burnout:

Are you going to drive it with all those ladders on top too?:-p

:lol::lol: Maybe not... That 20 foot extension ladder I had on the GL for a while cut about 2 to 3 mpg off it... and would probably hang over both bumpers on the justy it was so long.