Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 91 Legacy, 250,000 miles, automatic, says full time 4WD on the dash, decent tires and recently had my first test run in the snow. I was a bit disappointed when it ran like any old FWD car. I tried the manual button, putting it in 1st but only the front tires spin while the rears just roll with the car. I plan on changing the fluid but Im not quite sure that would be the real cause. What would be the first thing I should look for? Tomorrow is the last day before a big snowstorm ; (

I did read up on splicing a switch into the line that tells the system to "engage" the rears but Id hate to waste that time and it be more of a mechanical failure. (I believe it would be the connector with 12 pins and the one wire maybe black has 13 OHMs)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

I had a 91 Legacy with A/T, the fuse holder for FWD is definitely under the hood on the passanger side near the fire wall. To be in AWD, the fuse holder should not contain a fuse. Yea, I know that may sound wrong, but it is correct information.

That big snow storm hits Indiana on Saturday PM with about a foot of snow forecasted. My 2 Subies with AWD are both ready for the challange.

according to the owners manual in my 1990 Legacy LS AWD the "Manual" switch only works in 2nd and 3rd - by shifting to 1st, you basically did nothing by engaging the "manual" setting.

the 91 model may be different (somehow i doubt it, but...), so check your owner's manual carefully in regards to the "manual" switch. It should be in there somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought myself a car jack for christmas and got the car up on blocks. I figured if it was a mechanical issue there'd be some noise or movement somewhere but got absolutely nothing but the front tires. I ended up putting a switch to bypass the puter as suggested and voila! I tried to get myself stuck in the driveway where I didnt shovel but made it out without too much trouble. What a difference. I cant believe I got this car for 250.00

Is it the C solenoid that causes this problem or something else? Id just like to know for future reference. I am now a dedicated Subaru fan. ; )

I bought myself a car jack for christmas and got the car up on blocks. I figured if it was a mechanical issue there'd be some noise or movement somewhere but got absolutely nothing but the front tires. I ended up putting a switch to bypass the puter as suggested and voila! I tried to get myself stuck in the driveway where I didnt shovel but made it out without too much trouble. What a difference. I cant believe I got this car for 250.00

Is it the C solenoid that causes this problem or something else? Id just like to know for future reference. I am now a dedicated Subaru fan. ; )

Just to be sure, you know you can't drive around on pavement with the "c" switch locked. Use it only when you need it and only in slippery stuff.

Hopefully you wired it o that it disconnect the wire to C solenoid to get 4WD(switch "off" position). Normally, the switch should stay in the "on" position.

I can give you one other recomendation. You have a "power" mode built into you're TCU. It increases transfer pressure(4wd), and holds gears to a higher RPM when in power mode. The way to activate it is to give the gas pedal a quick stab. It's not about how far down you push the pedal, but how fast you push it. If you just roll on to full throttle, you won';t get it. You have to make it quick stab, doesn't even have to be to the floor, just really quick application of some throttle. The POWER light will come on, and it should help a bit.

+ 1 more for "C lock" switch forcing another worn transfer clutch to keep working!