Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to buy a Subaru

Black EA81T Brat, with L-series 5-speed behind it...

They're going to keep climbing in value...

Dean.

If you guys had 3000 to spend,what would you be looking at as far as Subarus go..would like imput.Will be used as a daily driver doing 75 miles a day 5 days a week.Prefer 5 speed.Need for Buffalo winters.Lookig for year/model likes and dislikes..thanks!

i buy subaru's for friends and myself of course, but i have a lot of experience with this, even this year. look for a late 90's impreza sedan or OBS or a Legacy wagon or sedan with a 2.2 (or 1.8). take a look at those and see which you like, many of my friends don't care, they just want a reliable vehicle.

an EJ22 with a manual trans is about the cheapest reliability money can buy. i picked up a 80,000 mile 1997 Impreza Sedan for $3,000. I gave it a solid $400 tune, timing belts, water pump, timing pulleys, brakes, PCV, thermostat, air filter, etc. that's what i would aim for, no more than 100,000 miles and a late 90's EJ22. although 1996 and earlier EJ22's are not interference which is nice...up to you.

if you're willing to do some work you can get them even cheaper. i've gotten a few Legacy GT sedans this year for under a $1,000...but they needed some work, like head gaskets. i'm looking at a couple others right now that i might pick up next week that need some work and are less than $1,000 as well.

Another vote for the 2.2 Legacy - would be looking at 90-95 myself - like the idea of non-interference, just in case.

I drove an EA82, 1989 GL FWD Wagon for over 6 years, and they are great little cars, get great gas milage (average was around 32 MPG), but not the most comfortable for longer hauls.

The 1990 Legacy LS AWD Wagon I drive now is WAY more comfortable - it is a bit larger, has lots of "goodies", gets decent gas mileage (not as good as the GL but not bad either at about 29-30 avg) and is pretty easy to work on for the DIY kind of person. Being a non-interfernece engine, I dont have to worry about my motor being junk if a belt goes (which it did shortly after I got it - but that is a whole 'nother story)

there are two ways to go - find one that has a good solid maintenance history that is ready to go in the $2000-2500 range - or find one cheap ($500 range) and do all the neglected maintenace yourself so you know what you have when you are done.

there's my two and a half cents worth.

Good luck on whatever you get.

I also would go with the Legacy 90 - 94 w/ 2.2 litre engine. I live in Fresno CA, and somehow I'm in a band down in San Diego, 348 miles away (don't ask me how that works, it just does). I drive my 94 Alpine wagon on that trip, an I gotta say - it's quite compfey. The wagon has more than enough room for my bass gear, with plenty of room for more band stuff if needed. That being said, I also have an 87 GL-10 Turbo Wagon, which, though not quite as compfey (it's not uncompey though), is a blast to drive. Handling is sporty. Has a turn radius to die for, and when that turbo kicks in.... it's just plain fun.

it really depends on need and time. the more you need it, the more valuable it is to you. i don't need it, i would pay $200 for it. i have friends that could use that for $500- $1,000. it's value is probably slightly more. i would say up to $1,500 is a reasonable deal...keeping in mind i would never pay that for it, which is the response you'll get from some people.

do a search for previously ended items and search on auto trader, you'll get an idea for what things are actually selling for and what they're listed for (auto trader). you need to see what's around your market...that's probably very helpful for you.

big thing will be to inspect the rust carefully or ask them about it. you don't want a rot box, they're easy to find here on the easy coast.

looks like a decent deal, but if at all possible I would go check it out in person - especially the rust prone areas - wheel wells, rockers, etc. Hear it run, check any paperwork/maintence history if possible. Oh, and if they wont let you come look at it carefully in person, walk away.

The thing that worries me is they keep calling it a truck - probably just a copy & paste job on the listing and they missed it, but still...

My '90 wagon doesnt look too bad on the surface, but, well, lets just say i cant use the factory jack that it came with to jack it up...:rolleyes: and it was originally from NY...

I second (or tenth or whatever we're up to now) the idea of a 2.2 legacy wagon. I like the older GL's myself... but the legacy is probably better for a comfortable daily driver, and alot more power, slightly bigger, and roughly the same gas mileage. EJ22 engine is probably subaru's best engine (except maybe the EA81, if you want it to run forever, but don't care about power). I see 1st gen legacies in good condition for $1400 to $2200 all the time.

And, I'd consider going west to get one... I've seen cars from the east coast and they scare me how fast they rust out -- even 10 year old cars are all rusty. Spend $300 on a plane ticket to CA or at least CO, and two or three days driving it back to New York -- you probably won't find a car any cheaper out here, but you can find a rust free early 90's one without too much trouble -- and maybe then the drivetrain will go out before it starts failing inspection.

What a great place! I had a 1981 Soobie hatchback but they don't make those anymore with the drive train options I liked in that rig. So I was wondering what would be a good buy in a used Soobie...and this thread has been very informative. If I had up to $5000 would you people still steer me toward the old EJ22 Legacy? Although I'm a car guy I don't understand the term "non interferance" engine? What does that mean? I like all the things that have been said here about the Legacy 2.2 Wagon but if I had around $5000 to spend would that still be the choice? I mean...hey...if I could spend less and get the same or better quality then the Legacy sounds great. What would you guys go for in the $2000 to maybe 5 or $6000 range? I'm an old guy now so the comfort of the Legacy that I read about here sounds good. But I also like a car with a little snort. And one that doesn't get stuck in the snow. Thanks!

Fox

What a great place! I had a 1981 Soobie hatchback but they don't make those anymore with the drive train options I liked in that rig. So I was wondering what would be a good buy in a used Soobie...and this thread has been very informative. If I had up to $5000 would you people still steer me toward the old EJ22 Legacy? Although I'm a car guy I don't understand the term "non interferance" engine? What does that mean? I like all the things that have been said here about the Legacy 2.2 Wagon but if I had around $5000 to spend would that still be the choice? I mean...hey...if I could spend less and get the same or better quality then the Legacy sounds great. What would you guys go for in the $2000 to maybe 5 or $6000 range? I'm an old guy now so the comfort of the Legacy that I read about here sounds good. But I also like a car with a little snort. And one that doesn't get stuck in the snow. Thanks!

Fox

Although I'm a car guy I don't understand the term "non interferance" engine? What does that mean?
Basically it means if you lose a timing belt you won't hurt the motor like some other motors will do if you lose one. Frank (fshnidiot)