Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Driving along in my XT6 and then.....

a flash of the check engine light... then nothing... dies....

i try restarting on the fly.... nothing

i roll to a stop.. try restarting.. nothing

any ideas? literally happened tonight... havent done a thing yet... i'll flash the computer... but any ideas???

timing belt?

crank angle sensor (if it has it)

ER27 :) thanks!!

The "crank angle sensor" is actually the cam angle sensor, there is no real crank sensor on an ER27. I had a similar problem on my ER27. It went from driving just fine to bearly holding idle and then dying. I got it home checked the ecu it was flashing. I found out that it was the coolant temp sensor connector. It is kinda hard to get to but pull off the electrical connector and check for corrosion on both connectors. Clean them good, reset the ECU by removing the negative battery cable and try starting it again. This might help if it IS the problem.

GL

Scott

The "crank angle sensor" is actually the cam angle sensor,
ha, ha, that's why i used quotes too!
your Xt6 has a "Crank Angle Sensor"
it's a pseudo crank angle sensor until your drivers side timing belt breaks!

Nuclearbacon - if it ends up not being something simple join us on the XT forums. i have a write up over there on how to permanently fix the coolant temperature sensor he mentioned above. cleaning it essentially means it'll come back, even replacing the sensor means it'll come back.

Yep - sounds like a t-belt. Check that the rotor screw didn't fall out of the disty too.

GD

this has happened to me twice, the little screw falls out and nothing at all. last time i used red lock tite, and a torque wrench, and it still fell out 7k miles later. id be hoping for that.

ha, ha, that's why i used quotes too!

it's a pseudo crank angle sensor until your drivers side timing belt breaks!

Nuclearbacon - if it ends up not being something simple join us on the XT forums. i have a write up over there on how to permanently fix the coolant temperature sensor he mentioned above. cleaning it essentially means it'll come back, even replacing the sensor means it'll come back.

Figured thats why it was in quotes.

OK WHERE DID THE XT XT6.NET FORUM MOVE TO? I cant belive they took it down.

So i took the Disty Cap off and checked for the "screw" (and by screw i mean the one that goes into the rotor head)

screw was present and the rotor head was solid.....

Not sure how to check the computer (didnt know if it was the same as the GL-10) so i turned the key on with no plugs in ....... 2 short blinks

Turned the ignition to on with the green plugs ....... code 11 (one long one short)

Turned the ignition to on with the Black plugs ........ code 11 and 24.

cant find the codes in my FSM....

looks like its the timing belts.... if so how easy does that radiator come out?? is it necessary to remove? anyone got those codes for me??

thanks!!!

Luigi

EDIT: found the part in the FSM and it says (with the black connectors connected) i have Code 11 (crank angle sensor) and code 24 (By-pass air control valve) the car was running just fine before it died at 60 mph... still think its the timing belt?

with the cap off you could have just cranked the motor and noticed the rotor not spinning or not spinning properly to indicate the bad belt as well with no extra work.

glad you found it! the XT6 has far more room than an EA82...well 8 inches instead of 4"! i find it plenty of room to do a timing belt, but for your first time it's not a big deal. without the stupid EA82 style clutch fan it's much simpler. two bolts facing you hold the radiator in...then remove the hoses and fans or just unplug the fans and sensor down by the lower passengers side and pull the radiator out with them attached.

after that timing belt install is identical to the EA82 except the drivers side tensioner is trickier. Sears sells the perfect right angle screw driver for making this a simple do-it-yourself job (it's the small one of a two part set from when i bought them). See my notes and pictures over on the xt forums. there are multiple ways to retract and hold it, but this is by far the simplest and most reproducable without any "whoops" or urging yourself to healthy doses of foul language!

you'll want to check for significant oil leaks (cams, crank, and oil pump seals) and make sure all of your pulleys feel nice and smooth, not free wheeling and loud. oil soaks and ruins timing belts, bad pulley overheat and ruin them. i have a thread posted hear and on the xt forums on how to regrease the XT6 timing pulleys - they are much easier to do than EA82 pulleys based on the easy access to the seal covers. and XT6 pulleys are very expensive, far more expensive than EA82 stuff. personally, i'd get it all done now and be done with it - new cam seals (cam seals kits - be sure to replace the oring behind the seal too, not just the seal), crank seal, oil pump gasket and seal (no oring like the EA82 oil pump), water pump, regrease the timing pulleys, and a new belt.

yes - non interference so you didn't do any damage.

same pistons and valves as the EA82.

saw your write up on the right angle screwdriver! very cool... i'll go pick up the kit...

As for the seals and such (gets out matience records from dude before) this is what has been done and when

Car now has 155,000

@ 103,596

- oil pump assemby

- Oil pump gasket

- Camshaft Seal kit

- Cam support o-ring

- oil seal cam shaft

i'll go in and read your write ups on the others... thanks!!!!!

• 2 months later...

XT6 Back up and running, Driver Side timing belt let go.... Small screwdriver is NO LONGER SOLD from sears.... i bought the replacement set and it does NOT work.... sucks... so i had to get a 1/8" wide, electricians screwdriver (which is long and skinny) removed the tensioner pulley, left the tensioner mechanism there, put the belt on, twisted the tensioner mechanism so it was low and while holding, started re-installing the the t-belt pulley. continued on to passenger side....

madness... but now i could do it in 5 minutes..... well... 25 minutes :)

Off to update my posts!

Luigi