Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace your PCV valve!

I just replaced my PCV valve with a Purolator unit from Advance Auto Parts. It was $3! I did this just prior to selling the vehicle. I've owned it for a bit over a year, hunting down hesitation issues since I have owned it and this cleared up the last bit of hesitation. It was acting like a vacuum leak at lower RPMs and spraying my oil compartment with oil at higher RPMs from massive blow-by. Too bad I am getting rid of the soob after more than a year and JUST NOW clearing up the driving issues, just prior to selling. It is an EA82 motor. I had no idea the EA82 could drive so nice. It's still slow, but it drives fantastic.

Do your self a favor and replace it for only $3, especially if you have any doubt in your current PCV valve's effectiveness.

I'm with you on this!

Most overlooked part, IMO. Can cause a myriad of symptoms from a part that can be bought with change found in a couch.

This goes for all the Subaru engines that have them. EA or EJ. Change it and your gas mileage might go up and solve problems that you couldn't fix before. :)

Inspired by this post I called the dealer parts department. Spent more than 30 minutes on the phone with them and quit. They could not find a PCV valve on their diagram.

I still wanted to get a new valve so I went to Kragen and bought one for $4.00: Fram - FV277.

What did I get?

Heavy pinning. Very poor acceleration. It felt like draging brakes with no power at all.

So, now I am back to the old valve with another lesson learned: STAY AWAY FROM FRAM PRODUCTS.

Sam

So, gentlemen. When did Subaru start making PCV valves and thermostats?

Nobody said that, so don't be a smartass, we don't like them here.

The parts manufactured for subaru are far superior in quality than some of the aftermarket parts now available. That's why "we" recommend certain parts to be OEM only.

Nobody said that, so don't be a smartass, we don't like them here.

The parts manufactured for subaru are far superior in quality than some of the aftermarket parts now available. That's why "we" recommend certain parts to be OEM only.

Not being a smartass, OEM parts orders go to the lowest bidder.

Not being a smartass, OEM parts orders go to the lowest bidder.

While that is true, there are specifications that Subaru requires. Besides that, Subaru might be making them directly, or as one of the subsidiaries of Fuji Heavy - the PCV valves didn't change from the 70's all the way to 2002 so it's very possible that they made them. There is no plastic used in the PCV so it's not difficult to manufacture.

It's definately the case that the OEM PCV's are superior to most, if not all aftermarket. And they cost $10 or less.

It's also the case that the Subaru PCV's can easily be cleaned by soaking in carb cleaner overnight. All metal construction makes this easy. For this reason I've bought VERY few PCV's.

This applies to thermostat's as well - the OEM part cost's about $2 - $4 more than the aftermarket, and the construction quality is pretty obviously better. A long time ago I posted pictures comparing the differences to illustrate this point....

Take note of the VASTLY superior gasket as well - it's a neoprene coated metal type gasket vs. the ultra-cheap cardboard unit. The OEM thermostat comes with this gasket while many aftermarket unit's have the gasket sold seperately. This further decreases the cost differential.

front.jpg

back.jpg

GD

• 2 months later...

"This applies to thermostat's as well - the OEM part cost's about $2 - $4 more than the aftermarket, and the construction quality is pretty obviously better. A long time ago I posted pictures comparing the differences to illustrate this point...."

Incidentally - the aftermarket thermostats have a much lower maximum flow velocity compared to OEM parts, so you risk overheating if you drive in a hilly environment (I live in VT and see the issue all the time) I've had two friends burn their engines up by replacing a worn thermostat with an aftermarket one.

Aftermarket versus OEM is an issue that comes up often here. There is significant anecdotal evidence to support OEM parts (especially the thermostat and PCV) to convince me. If you're not convinced, that's your perogative.

As to the cost differential, I buy all my OEM parts from my favorite on-line dealer in Auburn, WA. Even with the $5 shipping cost, there isn't a significant price differential for me to consider aftermarket for these two items.

They still come in a nifty "Subaru" box, and I'm sure Subaru isn't going to sell crap.

They sold the Justy didn't they. :eek: J/K

This debate is so old. The bottom line is the aftermarket parts usually do not work as well as the oem replacement. Thermostats especially. I have found over the years that PCV valves are another part that does not usually work as well from an aftermarket source.

Use what ever part you are comfortable with but do not complain too loudly if it goes bad prematurely. Or doesn't work right to begin with.

I will continue to buy the OEM replacement for most of my parts. Internet pricing is usually cheaper than at the parts counter. Try to order your parts from a good online source like Jason @ Scarff Subaru in Auburn or Jamie @ Subarugenuineparts. You can say "Ken sent you" to both of them when talking to them on the phone. And be sure to ask for "internet pricing".

Our subaru dealership here in iowa is terrable. Is there anyway i can purchase parts from a dealership in washington and they could mail them to me.

Ben

Yes, check qman's post about Jason and Subiegal. Either would ship to you. I deal mostly with Jason and his toll free # is 1-866-528-5282.

"This applies to thermostat's as well - the OEM part cost's about $2 - $4 more than the aftermarket, and the construction quality is pretty obviously better. A long time ago I posted pictures comparing the differences to illustrate this point...."

Incidentally - the aftermarket thermostats have a much lower maximum flow velocity compared to OEM parts, so you risk overheating if you drive in a hilly environment (I live in VT and see the issue all the time) I've had two friends burn their engines up by replacing a worn thermostat with an aftermarket one.

The aftermarket Subaru thermostat is a Chevrolet V8 thermostat that was used on all v8's up through the 454 cu in. Are you saying a Subaru is more difficult to cool than a 454?