Ultimate Subaru Message Board

RPM Questions

Hey guys, will you give me estimates on what your rpms tack at say 65mph, and what tranny/ size tires you have.

currently I have an auto with 3.70 and it tacks about 3600 rpms at 65.

What does your 5speed d/r tack at 65mph?

I have slightly larger tires, so my MPH is reading about 60 when my GPS says I am going 65, but my RPM's are about 2700 - 2800. I have a 5 speed.

it took me awhile to get used to this 3AT . . . with my 15" pugs and 60 series tires my tach is just under 4K at 65mph, the freeway speed limit in my area is 70. I'm sure the speedo is off because of the diameter change on the wheels/tires, maybe by 7mph or so, which puts me right at/above the limit at 4k.

I thought that was pretty extreme until I drove my gf's Scion Tc (2006) with a 5sp manual, and it is at 3700 rpm at 70! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I drove (in my car sales days) a 2007 corvette cpe with a 6spd manual, and in 6th gear it almost idled down the freeway in 6th gear, something like 1800 rpm :burnout: and would still accelerate like a mofo!

Johnson']Lucky. I'm at 4000-4200 at 70' date=' with stock 175's on. I do have a 4speed though.[/quote'] sounds about what i'm used to in the 5 speeds of the XT's. they run close to 4,000 at 70/75mph i believe, one reason i don't like them as a travel car as they are very loud.

Ney X7 This is Jerry, i have a 86 EA81 hatch that has a RX 5 speed dual range tranny with 3.70 gears. At 65 mph the tach is at 3000 rpm, you have the same gears that i have. I think your auto tranny mush be slipping, it could be that the auto tranny has lower gears in it. I also have the stock tire size 185R 70X13. Thanks Jerry