Ultimate Subaru Message Board

never trust old plastic

i thought to myself the other day that it'd be great if by the time my replacement carb arrives (hopefully the right one this time), i had all my rubber vacuum and fuel lines replaced, there's lots of hard and cracked hoses in there. so as i was removing a little two inch piece, i got sloppy and tried to pry the rock hard hose off the metal line and managed to snap the plastic port on the other side. :eek: now i'm trying to locate a replacement for the part i broke. it looks like a thermal vacuum switch and its mounted to the drivers side of the carb screwed into a flange hanging off the front of the manifold. it has a yellowed (formerly white?) top with three vacuum ports in a row down the side and a copper looking something in the bottom. the flange it screws into doesn't lead into the manifold like a bung or port, but hangs off the front side. i considered trying to epoxy this thing, but i jacked it up good. :clap: parts stores apparently don't have these listed, so can any of you subaru experts tell me the proper name for this part and where i can find one?

also, can someone tell me how to put pictures in a post so i can take the easy way next time?

thanks,

gruff

Beware as some of those things *look* identical from the outside, but open/close at different temps.

It's probably uneccesary anyway. Trace the lines to where it goes - it's probably part of the EGR or EVAP system. Niether of which is neccesary. If it were me I would likely replumb around it, or if you really care test it first, and assuming it's good repair it with some JB weld.

Also beware about replacing vacuum lines as some have "orifices" in the lines. Best thing is to chop the old ones up into 1/4" bits and make sure you didn't miss any as they are little brass guys that are shoved into the end of the hoses.

GD

oh damn. thanks for making my excedrin wear off prematurely! does anybody else hear that confounded ringing?

Yep - imagine the frustration of buying 20 year old cars where the vac lines have been worked on by every shop in the county..... Oh wait.... you own one don't ya? :-p

The FSM's show where the orifices go and I'm sure your local dealer could order them. If they are really nice they might even photo-copy the vacuum diagram for you. I know my friendly dealer will. Although YMMV on dealership "niceness" :-\. Parts of the country other than the left coast are prone to less-than-stellar assistance with anything older than 2000.

GD

okay, so i went to my pile of old hoses and chopped them up. i found one orifice and since i threw all those hoses in a pile, i don't know where it goes. how important are these things and how can i figure out where they should be? i went to the subaru dealership and the parts people were much more accomodating that i expected, even while i was too busy drooling over the new imprezas to listen to them. (s...t...i...:slobber:) anyways, i wanted to see how much my thermal vac switch was - $72.37!!!!:eek: they said the orifices are available in different sizes, so now i need to figure out where they go, what sizes, etc. the dealership doesn't have an 84 fsm, but i wonder if one would tell me. can anyone help me out here?

Most likley. They are very detailed, thus the recomendations to get one. Someone may have one here. I have an 86 and a 90 FSM.

Well, strange enough, though I have never owned an '84 anything, I have an '84 Subaru FSM. And, the emissions control diagrams do show where the orifices are.

There are 4 diagrams:

1) California models (Hitachi Carb)

2) Canada Models and 49 State 4WD Models (Hitachi Carb)

3) 49 State Non-4WD Models (Hitachi Carb)

4) 49 State Non-4WD Models (Carter-Weber (C-W) Carb)

I don't have a scanner, but tell me which diagram you want and I will start thinking about how I could get a scan to you.

thanks, tom! you rock, dude!:headbang: did you see i asked at the dealership and they want $73 for a new one?:eek:

msteel, i'm unfortuantely trapped in california at the moment, so i'd need "1) California models (Hitachi Carb)" i got a printout today of a diagram from the dealership that's from alldatapro.com. it shows where orifices go and what sizes, but there's all sorts of parts where the line starts at one component and goes to a letter denoting another component. i have no way of telling what the letters are and so no way of interpreting this thing...:confused: then there's also the fact that these diagrams are for an 84 car with an 84 hitachi. i think my hitachi is an 80 or 81. here's some pics if anyone can tell the difference:

the old carb...from top...

DCP306-12_1resized_.jpg

from front...

DCP306-12_3resized_.jpg

from rear...

DCP306-12_2resized_.jpg

the replacement that didn't fit...

DCP306-XX_1resized_.jpg

if someone can determine what years these carbs are, it would sure make this easier!

CA models in 84 would be computer controlled feedback carbs. Check for an O2 sensor in the exhaust.

If you have one then you have a problem - you aren't going to be able to use the diagrams intended for the car because you would need feedback carb and associated components to hook it up ($$$).

If you don't, then the car wasn't sold in CA so the diagrams won't work.

That first Hitachi looks pretty early. Definately 80 or 81.... might even be an EA71 carb so it could be 70's. It looks to have an external vaccuum operated secondary which is odd, and actually characteristic of EA82 carbs (which this definately isn't). At any rate it's not a model I've specifically worked on so it's got to be older than 82. I can tell for one by the secondary diaphram, and by the style of accelerator pump arm. Both are indicating something far older than your car.

I wouldn't worry so much about the older one. I would start hooking up a newer Hitachi - preferably an 84 "49 states" version using the appropriate vacuum diagram.

GD

i do have an O2 sensor. what are the computer controlled feedback carb/associated componenets compared to what i have? the car legitimately passed cali smog check earlier this year with a new cat and the whole reason i'm doing this carb work is the fact that my choke wouldn't work at all and i couldn't get the car to run cold, my mileage was half what it should be, and the car couldn't get out of it's own way! i returned the replacement carb i got (maybe was the right one after all:confused: ) and now they're sending me a DCP306-12 like my old one. damn... should i just say @!#& it and do a spfi conversion at this point - this carb and vac thing is turning out to be quite a headache and has already cost me over $400!!!! does anybody have spfi parts on hand that they'd wanna part with? can the car pass cali smog after that swap or would i have to burn white camping fuel or something every time? i can feel the years dropping off the end of my life at this point....

The diagram I have for California cars is labeled Figure 5-3 and has the code A10-217 in the lower right hand corner. It sounds like you may have the same one. Looks to me like the letters are just placeholders for lines that go far away on the diagram. See if it makes sense for (a) to connect to (a) and so on.

I've never worked on carbs since I'm from the FI era, but GD you said it looked like it could be an EA71 carb. According to the 80's spec pages, in '84 the STD hatchbacks still got the EA71. DL and GL Hatches got the EA81.

But then if it's been replaced before there's no telling.