Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This guy is building a Subaru buggy

Andy FitzGibbon

Now I know there have been a lot of Subarus that ended their lives as farm work vehicles but that's by far the classiest and most useful one I've ever seen. My concern is the cage. Looks like enough for a minor tip over but I'm wondering if it'd hold tumbing down an embankment. I agree that it could go on a bit of a diet but for a first generation design I think he did a fine job. A second transfer case would be a nice addition and the rear wheel drive might make it even more fun for blasting around the back 40. The strut tower design is sort of innovative but could lose some weight. Looks like it has air shocks in the rear, nice for adjusting spring rate. It'd be nice if a different front suspension was used maybe with a-arms and t-bars for more travel but that'd add weight and then you might as well go solid axle. Heck I'd just like to have a shop like that, lots of time, all the skills, and hundred acres or so to play on!

I like this guy, his shop is equipped a lot like mine.

But much more organized it seems.

I also like his choice for his "real truck"!

What I don't like is

the front attack angle on the Scoobygator.

WandC01.jpg

Ohio is pretty flat but......

• 3 weeks later...

So does anyone understand why he cut the wagon up, when he was just going to take the drivetrain out of it anyways? I guess it did look like it had "a little" rust in it, but that was a lot of sawzall blades to just yank the drive train out of it.

Kinda looks like he had a change of direction mid way through.

• 1 year later...

OK,

You guys caught me...

I'm the guilty one who built this monstrosity.

I just did a Google check on "Scoobygator" and found this thread. Irealize this is a little late and it's a really old thread but I will try to answer a few questions posed here. maybe if this is bumped back to the top it will be noticed. I just registered here a few minutes ago. I might be able to get some help here on a few problems I am having.

About the front overhang...

It probably could have been about 4" less if I had figured everything real close. I wanted room in front of the engine to mount aux stuff like air compressor and maybe a hydraulic pump. Then there is the space in front of the radiator to allow some protection. as you guys well know, much of the engine sits forward of the front wheel centerline. That is probably the main disadvantage of not going with a transverse engine design.

Why did I cut up the old wagon body???

it was really no good because of so much rust and I was able to handle the pieces by hand and put them in my van truck to haul off to the scrap yard.

The latest...

I hope to have this thing done and ready to sell by July. I test ran it a little on this past Sunday. I'm still having carb problems and I still need to rebuild all the brakes.

I host a site called Darksider's Realm, http://www.darksidersrealm.com where you can follow the latest progress of the Scoobygator. If any of you are into building and fabricating and thinking outside the box, you are invited to join us. If it's got wheels and you are building or modifying it, the realm is the place to be.

OK, that's all I have for now.

Later Folks...

Darkside Dave

68"

the site I mentioned has a few shots of me out on the road in front of the house. Sorry no video yet. I'm rather embarrassed to show it now as the thing is not finished and all the wiring is hanging out of the inst. panel twisted together with wire nuts and temp. switches. Watch the darksider's realm for more pics as stuff gets done.

later Man...

Dave

So does anyone understand why he cut the wagon up, when he was just going to take the drivetrain out of it anyways? I guess it did look like it had "a little" rust in it, but that was a lot of sawzall blades to just yank the drive train out of it.

Kinda looks like he had a change of direction mid way through.

Cutting torch and plasma cutter... Not a problem...

no change in direction... just needed it to hold together for a while so I could take some measurements and still be able to move it around.

Dave

Edited by Darkside Dave

dang !!!

I guess I should hve looked over the first page before I posted. You guys are sure hard on a guy...

As for weight, it only weighs about a ton. It was designed as a farm and ranch utility vehicle. It had to be built as it is because of the weight it was designed to tow and haul. It's not a rock crawler or a racer. If I had wanted to go that direction I would have went with an integrated tubular structure. It is built like it is with a specific purpose in mind.

As for the roll cage, that is heavy wall steel tubing and it dang near ruined my bender. No need to worry, it was tested to hold up 4,000 # which is twice the weight of the vehicle.

I have three farmers that want to buy it and I don't need it. ijust like building stuff. I get bored easy so I will probably never do another one.

Later folks...

Dave

don't worry, i wasn't talking ************ to you.....we saw this before and were impressed with the straight frame horn design.cheers, brian

Yeah, I suppose you're right but since I didn't even know about this thread I had no controlover that.

Later Man...

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
don't worry, i wasn't talking ************ to you.....we saw this before and were impressed with the straight frame horn design.cheers, brian

Oh i wasn't worried. i just decided to comment on that post.

The function I was going for here was to make it simple and strong for a work vehicle. it wouldn't bemuch of a Baja buggy or a rock climber. However, those type vehicles would never pull or carry what this one does. this thingwill carry it's own weight andpull even more. There are people around here that would buy this just to haul outfirewood frm these hilly farms.

Later Man...

Dave

Dave, I tried to register on your forums, but never got the email...

in regards to your fuel pump question, yes, 6 psi is too much for the hicrappi carb. I think stock comes in right around 2 psi. maybe a bit under...