Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2wd or 4wd

It's not the straight lines that hurt the car in 4wd, it's the turning.

But why are you in 4wd going 80? If you're in a situation you need 4wd, I don't think going 80mph is the smartest thing.

It's like people with sutdded tires. They are an increased buffer, not a reason to go normal speeds while it's icy.

like i said it was only for a few miles and it was when i first got the car. now 4 years later.... i am in the middle of doin the ej swap. i am turboing it with 6-8 psi. trying to find a good upgradeable clutch. i was wondering about the 4wd thing cuz i have a really good feeling that the front tires will not stay on the ground under boost. so to help i was goin to run it in 4wd. but never in corners learned that one the hard way thanx lol:grin:

If your tires have the slightest bit of difference in tread wear, straight lines will hurt.

DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR IN 4WD ON DRY PAVEMENT. EVER.

Forgot about that...my bad.

I think someone's saying that driving on pavement might be a bad thing:lol:.

I know that if you drive a 3.7 automatic witha 3.9 rear diff, stuff breaks. I bought a car from someone that said the 3at kept blowing up, he's had a "Subaru Only" shop replace it and try to fix the problem. Well someone along the line decided to put a 3.9 rear diff in it. Hey, it made doing a D/R swap a LOT easier.

I just purchased my first Subaru. Its a 93 Loyale 4WD. I also purchased a Chilton manual as I usually do when purchasing an older vehicle. After all a 15 year old car is bound to have a few issues.

Unfortuneately the Chiltons Manual doesn't speak to two questions that I have.

1. Where is the light located that illuminates the instrument panel at night. Its obviously burn't out, and I am hoping I don't have to remove the dash instrument assembly to get to it, but I have to do something as I can't see my speed when I traverse our little speed trap town at night. Right now I am using a flashlight.

2. In front of my automatic transmission shifter is a large black button. What does it do? I have pushed it when my bother-in-law was sitting in the passenger seat hoping it was an ejection seat button, but nothing happened.

It may have something to do with 4WD but no light on the dash tells me I am in 4WD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

I just purchased my first Subaru. Its a 93 Loyale 4WD. I also purchased a Chilton manual as I usually do when purchasing an older vehicle. After all a 15 year old car is bound to have a few issues.

First, you should make your own post instead of posting in other's threads. That's poor forum etiquette

1. Where is the light located that illuminates the instrument panel at night. Its obviously burn't out, and I am hoping I don't have to remove the dash instrument assembly to get to it, but I have to do something as I can't see my speed when I traverse our little speed trap town at night. Right now I am using a flashlight.

It's not a single lamp - there's about 10 or 12 bulbs in the back of the cluster. You probably have a fuse or other electrical issue at play. You have turned up the dimmer right?

2. In front of my automatic transmission shifter is a large black button. What does it do? I have pushed it when my bother-in-law was sitting in the passenger seat hoping it was an ejection seat button, but nothing happened.

It may have something to do with 4WD but no light on the dash tells me I am in 4WD.

It's the shifter interlock release. It's for taking it out of gear in case the normal shift button ceases to function. It's a backup to allow free shifting of the transmission in case you need to roll the car in neutral, etc.

GD

First of all I am sorry for the rudeness. I am new at this and I thought that since it was on the same subject that it was appropriate. So if I got anyones shorts in a knot please accept my apologies and I will post individual threads from this point on.

Secondly thanks for the pointers and info on the Loyale. I think if I can solve a few issues with this car that I am going to like it alot.

Rick

Any help would be appreciated.

Rick

Are you 100 % sure, positive, it is not a Legacy??? I have never seen a Loyale with a lockout on the Auto trans lever. Does it say 1,2,D on the shifter? Is there a button for the 4wd where you're thumb sits on the shifter? Is the spare tire over the engine? If the answer to any of these questions is NO, then you have a Legacy.

As far as the lights, turn up the dimmer. Legacies it is a collar on the headlight stalk that rotates. Loyales it is a skinny dial on the left side of the dash.

Are you 100 % sure, positive, it is not a Legacy??? I have never seen a Loyale with a lockout on the Auto trans lever. Does it say 1,2,D on the shifter? Is there a button for the 4wd where you're thumb sits on the shifter? Is the spare tire over the engine? If the answer to any of these questions is NO, then you have a Legacy.

As far as the lights, turn up the dimmer. Legacies it is a collar on the headlight stalk that rotates. Loyales it is a skinny dial on the left side of the dash.

The Shifter starting at the top and working back is P,R,N,D,1,2. There is no button where my thumb sets other than the interlock realease for shifting. There is a spare tire over the engine. There is a dimmer wheel on the dash.

My VIN (JF1AC4224PC207250) tracks to a 4WD Loyale. I don't see anyway to manually apply 4WD.

Also the body trim says Loyale. I suppose someone could have changed trannys sometime ago. I don't know if they interchange.

Rick

k thanx, well looks like i will just be goin threw tires alot faster. even with the stock ea82 i would be lighting the front tires up. so i know the new motor isnt goin to make it any easier to keep it on the road. thanx for the help

Simple solution to the tire spin. Don't get on the throtle hard at take off, unless you want to spin tires

lmfao, thanx but u gotta know how it is. sometimes it just gets away from u. especially with all the dam little ricer civics. i like rollin up next to one and they look at the car like wat a piece of sh*t, and i blow them off the line. the look on there face is priceless.

I suppose someone could have changed trannys sometime ago.

Rick

Probably not. The tranny from a Legacy would not work in your Loyale without major modification. Even if it did, it would have been pointless without the EJ22 to go with it. You got a standard 3AT chief.