Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new brat-(56k,yeah probly not)

monstaru

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

originally i was on that track as well.

progress has been slow this week as i have gotten a little work back.as we speak i am out to the garage for more wood lovin.....

then off to the monster truck show with my daughter....have you guys seen her?

IMG_0301.jpg?t=1203197344

sorry ,random pic of my fiuture through my brood.:headbang: cheers, brian

You might want to add some gussets to the bases/posts for added stability. Just a suggestion.

But the progress is looking good. Gotten further than I have :rolleyes:

ok.so not exactly the suspension you were wanting....:lol:

but , none the less.suspension it is.

here ya go

IMG_1619.jpg?t=1203296541

nope , nothin under there!removed the rear today.she is only hanging on the gear in these pics.the jackstands are there for safety reasons.(obviously.)

IMG_1616.jpg?t=1203296710

the rig yo.......

IMG_1613.jpg?t=1203296769

front shot....sorry about the mess.:cool:

IMG_1611.jpg?t=1203296849

my helper today.now thats how you do it right.:lol:

cheers,brian

yeah, the gussets on the bottom were on the menu anyhow.just had not decided how to cut them yet.:cool: if you look closely i had to add a spacer for more meat to be attached to the base of the post.the jury was still out on how to attach them properly.

on to figuring the frame under it now. that is this week if i do not have to work.cheers, brian

Or that jack had something to do with it :grin:

What a tease Brian :rolleyes:

But I see you added gussets to the bottoms ;)

ok, so the axles are free of the toy frame.i am awaiting a shipment of tow dollies to our favorite cheap store so that i can make the frame rolling under the body a much easier transition for me.i'll get some more pics tomorrow.

welp,now i have to build a welder.i believe i will start a seperate thread about that.cheers, brian

ok, so a little progress in the way of pics.of yesterdays happenings.:grin:

still awaiting the arrival of the ever so elusive dollies.

IMG_1625.jpg?t=1203555608

rear axle offish

IMG_1624.jpg?t=1203555648

front axle out of the wayish

IMG_1621.jpg?t=1203555706

the whole shebang

met Lumpycam today.were gonna do some tradin it seems.can't wait for that.should net some good parts for the project.

ok, ok.i will explain the welder.ok, so at my house i only have 100 amp service to my outside box.which means that is split between my entire house..the draw of a welder is much more than the circuits canhandle most of the time.in other words , when i weld the lights flicker.

this has not been a huge problem in the past .well not for anyone except me.you see, my wife works as telecommuter from home for a major insurance company.which means she has the space shuttle setup in our bigroom.if she is connected to her system and the power goes out,she has to reboot everything.alot of things are time sensitive.as far as connection goes anyway.so it is a huge no-no to weld when she is working.well she works 5 days a week.and in the winter i am laid of 100% of the time usually.i still have another month at least.which is valuable time for projects.because when i go full swing,it will be full bore for at least 2 months.

now, the solution i have come up with is to build an engine driven welder.it is much like kens on board i am sure.only driven by an 8hp gas motor.a few resistors and a large amperage alternator.i have done quite a bit of research on this so far and am confident after conferring with some welders that i know,that it will be more than sufficient for what i need to accomplish.i have all of the items lying aound anyway,except the alt(i want a new one to work with)so i figured why not.the only drawback will be that i have never stick welded.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84517&page=2

there a bunch of links in the thread above about this venture.

but after a whilei will probably even be able to build a controller setup for it and make a tig setup out of it.whew(carpal tunnel):lol: .capeesh?cheers, brian

let the measuring begin.

IMG_1629.jpg?t=1203654292

IMG_1628.jpg?t=1203654313

some frame pieces will be cut off tomorrow or this weekend.i have to remove the fuel tank from the brat,and some exhaust shielding tomorrow as well.then i will measure twice and weld once.

it looks like i will be able to mount it fairly easily actually.should be fun.

also picked up the alternator i needed for the welder.and a couple of cadillac air ride compressors for my onboard air setup.still want a couple of subie compressors to compare,but then i'll just have more air than i need.hot air that is!:grin: cheers, brian

the house was built in 1908.so originally it was actually a carriage garage.like horse and buggy type of carriage.

anyways,i just went and picked up some discs and a face shield.will be cutting the pieces i need gone off of the frame this afternoon.and possibly dropping the tank and other crap off of the body.

as far as this weekend goes.who knows.will be going down to superbrats mill to pick up a welder that he is being VERY generous on.so who knows.also have my little girl this weekend and do not want her around a floating brat body as far as any "what ifs" are concerned.so it is not likely i would want her to help.which means probably not much until sunday afternoon when she goes home.other than that,she and i might work on a mount for the 8hp motor setup for the welder.whew,carpal tunnel.k.to the cutting of framehorns!!!!!!cheers, brian

well i'm watching... can't do anything else but watch tv, refresh the board a million times and refresh myspace to see no changes either... cutting mounts off those frames is so much fun... we took off all the old suspension mounts on the rear of mine... it wasn't too much fun...

got some bed mounts,the rear driveline piece cutout.(there will be a custom mount made later),and some old body lift blocks got cut/dismounted.

i took the exhaust shielding and fuel tank off the brat.as well as the mustache bar mounts. i will need to do some cuttin on the rear valance of the brat,as well as taking the "tow" hooks off the front and rear.that is just to even out the mounting surface for the frame...

we'll see where i'm at sunday.monday i go shopping for a friends engine swap.then on vacation for a week or so.so you might get bored jared.:lol: ..i am going to try and get some more done on sunday.cheers,brian

well i'm watching... can't do anything else but watch tv, refresh the board a million times and refresh myspace to see no changes either... cutting mounts off those frames is so much fun... we took off all the old suspension mounts on the rear of mine... it wasn't too much fun...

************in a man.......alot better.i felt like i was going to turn out as a carpenters apprentice or something.:lol: i spent some quality fun time at the little ones school carnival this evening so after our welder retrieving trip tomorrow i may get some time to fool around measuring and raising the frame up to the body.WOOHOOOOO.......its on now.cheers, brian

sounds like a boring weekend for me... but that's a considerable amount of progress today. doesn't it feel better to be working on the vehicle and not on the lift?

hey jared.the waggy springs you got were the lifted springs?or regular?it would be sweet to shorten the wheelbase a bit.can you taka pic of the rear for me?like underneath.i just don't have anyones truck to compare it to.

i have a line on some 58"chevy springs,i know peeps are using 62 or whatver,but i do not know if i should use them.regardless with what i go with i will have some killer approach and departure angles.

yep,killer.cheers, brian

hey jared.the waggy springs you got were the lifted springs?or regular?it would be sweet to shorten the wheelbase a bit.can you taka pic of the rear for me?like underneath.i just don't have anyones truck to compare it to.

i have a line on some 58"chevy springs,i know peeps are using 62 or whatver,but i do not know if i should use them.regardless with what i go with i will have some killer approach and departure angles.

yep,killer.cheers, brian

i won't be up north to take pictures anytime soon. but yes i have the stock rear waggy springs in the rear. well slightly modified... the lifted ones are super stiff till they are broken in, and i want to keep the lowest center of gravity that i can. it's already huge. you won't need the 4088's or what ever the lifted waggy springs are... for god's sake i got 39's on mine...

here's some pics i already have on my photobucket.

modified rear leafs up front and waggy 5 leaf rear packs

P6210960.jpg

P6210954.jpg

stock toy fronts next to waggy 5 leafs

Jan07_023.jpg

some shots of the rear suspension...

Feb07096.jpg

none of those are really good pics of the rear, but what's presently online. the smaller tires were the 35's, the larger are 39.5's. i'll try to look through the pics on my hard drive and see if there is some closer shots, what all do you need in them? we moved the rear springs forward a good 6" also, but after the rear springs up front moved the front axle forward, we still only reduced the wheelbase by 3". tell me exactly what you need for shots, i can get my step dad to take a shot or two and post them up for you. there's a reason i bought him a digital camera last year...

thats what i thought as far ad the springs too.i did not want to be ************in bohemoth.as it is i really did not want to go above 36's.we just don't have the rocks like you guys do over here.and honestly i need to learn how to drive a little better before i deserve anything bigger anyway.:lol:

.i might still go with the chevs ,'cause i'd like to move the rear forward a bit more like i said.guess i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

what are you doing for shocks?that is what i wanted a pic for.are you triangulating them?i am trying to figure out the best idea for some on road ,mainly offroad.

i have looked all over NWW,but have not found anything definitive.or are the spring rates of rear/waggy stiff enough to just rock?i'm new to this whole spring idea,obviously....so be gentle.

i have read yours and several others like saidbut never hear anything about shocks.cheers, brian

also realize that i have chevy lift shackles that are 3/4" longer than the longest toyota shackles, and that the rear end is going to come down several inches when i put a spare tire, 2 full 10gallon propane bottles , recovery gear, rear cage, and truck box... the springs are real soft. a lot of people run the waggy's and chevy's. i've heard the f-150 springs work, but are really subjective to bent springs with axle wrap. they all offer about the same amount of lift. we modified my rear waggy's like trail gear does to their lift springs. with the extra 1/2 spring on top to try and help with axle wrap. there's also no bed installed, which makes it look even bigger...

as for shocks, after what i've read the bbcs leaf sprung shocks are supposed to be the poo for keeping the rig from bouncing all over and making it real nice (for being a 4x4, no race car here) on the road and trail.

d_5404-01.jpg?1203792829828

shocks-225.jpg

the bilsteins 5150's and 5125's in the 14" versions are probably what i'll wind up with. excellent shocks. i'll run the 5150's up front since they have hard mounted external resivoirs, and the 5125's in the back. as for triangulating your shocks... mine will be slightly triangulated, mainly because of mounting restraints. but i am going to try to make them as up and down as possible, with a slight inward triangulation. the more you angle the shocks towards the center of the axle, the less the dampening effect is or resistance to body sway and side hill stability. my shocks aren't mounted yet. but as for mounting the front shocks, 2 common longtravel mounts are ford shock towers, about 15 bucks a piece or shock hoops. personally i decided to go with the trail gear 14" shock hoops. i was going to go for the ford mounts, but 20 bucks more i get a better looking design and reenforced towers, that i know will fit the 14" shocks.

have you aquinted yourself with the PBB toyota FAQ?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

ford shock tower #'s according to PBB FAQ

Ford Part #E5TZ-18183-A

ShockTower2.jpg

thats what i thought as far ad the springs too.i did not want to be ************in bohemoth.as it is i really did not want to go above 36's.we just don't have the rocks like you guys do over here.and honestly i need to learn how to drive a little better before i deserve anything bigger anyway.:lol:

.i might still go with the chevs ,'cause i'd like to move the rear forward a bit more like i said.guess i'll cross that bridge when i get to it.

what are you doing for shocks?that is what i wanted a pic for.are you triangulating them?i am trying to figure out the best idea for some on road ,mainly offroad.

i have looked all over NWW,but have not found anything definitive.or are the spring rates of rear/waggy stiff enough to just rock?i'm new to this whole spring idea,obviously....so be gentle.

i have read yours and several others like saidbut never hear anything about shocks.cheers, brian