Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So who builds lifts for EA82s these days?

pkd still makes them (although has asked not to be referred to as his own company....just ozified or BYB is fine). http://www.ozified.com

allied armament does the occasional group buy, but subaru parts aren't their #1 priority....check out the vendor forum for their stuff. and their site: http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/SubParts.html (you may notice a 'few' pictures of my light blue '88 wagon there...)

and SJR, listed above.

I say this to everyone interested in lifts. I've had 2 lifted EA82s (both '88s). one with a 3" BYB kit, and the other with a 4" AA kit. and I also ran an SJR rear diff shim on my blue wagon. as well as helped install an AA kit on an '87 EA81 hatch. and I modified my AA kit to mimic what SJR was doing with the front....MUUUUCH stronger!

All 3 companies make a great product. high quality hardware, you won't ever have to worry about blocks collapsing or anything like that.

BUT, the design varies quite a bit. The BYB kit is pretty simple, pretty much just blocks anywhere that the suspension attaches to the unibody. makes for very easy install, very little modification required. but sacrifices strength and clearance for it.

the SJR kit requires the most work to install because you're messing with some of the geometry. BUT, as a result, is much stronger out on the trail.

and the AA kit is somewhere between. leaving the rear trailing arm pivot up tight against the unibody (#1 weakness on the BYB kit), but still drops the leading rod brackets (I ripped the captive nuts out of the framerail about 4 times before changing it to the SJR design).

How does one get the torque to move those tires? My 92 ea82 5 spd wagon seems to have enough trouble on it's own?:) Is the high/low enough or are major drivetrain/engine mods generally done with these?

-Richard

the easiest way is to do the twin stick mod, there is a write up in the USRM. The other way is to run a transfer case as many off roaders do.

How does one get the torque to move those tires? My 92 ea82 5 spd wagon seems to have enough trouble on it's own?:) Is the high/low enough or are major drivetrain/engine mods generally done with these?

-Richard

Im sooo glad I dont have this issue. I havent driven one w/o turbo but mine w/ turbo has zero issues. Was actually kinda peppy when I was on 13's. Moving to the 27's, it still accelerates nice and cruzes 75 on the freeway. Pulls up hill in 5th.

-Richard

dual range.....and you can't use 5th gear

but both my '88s had the stock motor and drivetrain (messed with the exhaust, and kept them tuned up for max power), and they did fine. you're not outrunning anything, in fact, it works pretty hard to keep up with traffic, but it does OK, and could cruise at 70+mph (sometimes 80+ with the wind). and the low range is extremely nice offroad. wasn't as low as I'd like it, but plenty of torque for most anything you could throw at it.