Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got a leak problem.....

Hey guys. I went to subaru for a oil change. Was great. Yet funny when the guys put hte car in the air, they started pulling out flash lights and all the mechanics in the shop all went to my car. I was saying, hmm ok. They all looked very surprised and were pointing at alot of things. ok not a big deal. So then one of the service reps came in, he said he had never seen a Subaru with such bad oil and coolant leaks before. I said oh really? He said they could not verify what is leaking so they had to powerwash the whole undercarriage and they want me to come back so they can figure it out. When I was going there the car was overheating on the highway sometimes etc, was running on no oil, but anyway. They topped up every fluid in the car except the transmission.

I get home radiator is full ok good still overheated sometimes not as bad though. So this morning I look at the rad its empty again. Now I look under the car my whole right front wheel is drenched in something looked like anti freeze, and I saw a nice puddle below the radiator. Also looked under the engine and I saw red fluid, I am assuming that is the rack leaking? AGAIN. Both from cv's are knocking hard and both fronts have broken boots, and 1 rear right cv is knocking pretty hard as well. The car doesn't burn oil. The car doesn't have AWD either(damn clutch) can't find another transmission still. Anyway what do you think I should do?? Just get a parts car maybe? Pull the rad, tranny, rear diff (mine is leaking pretty bad) and cv's?? Already spent quiete a bit on this car, and still have some surface rust to fix and some bad rust around the windshield. What should I do?? What is my best option? The car has 306,000km original everything, excpet timing belt, and the messed up transmission that was installed.

I shoulod keep a cut an past of my answer. The collant all over your tire is from exhaust gas blowing your coolant resevoir empty. You have a busted head gasket. Sounds like you have a 2.5 but you really have a 2.2. This could be the first case of a 2.2 with a bad head gasket. From how you describe the car sounds like its not worth a 2,000 dollar repair.

Oh no so my dad was right. When the car was at 260,000km the water pump was throwing fluid and my mom was driving the car overheating on the 3/4 up sometimes to the point where the engine wouldn't let you rev for a week. Ill bet that damaged the head gaskets.

Oh no so my dad was right. When the car was at 260,000km the water pump was throwing fluid and my mom was driving the car overheating on the 3/4 up sometimes to the point where the engine wouldn't let you rev for a week. Ill bet that damaged the head gaskets.

Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to remeber our poor friend, sooby. Through all her trials and trubulations, hemoraging fluids, fought on with great valor...

Its time. The engine is cooked. Being driven under those conditions did her in.

Time for a new engine.

nipper

This could be the first case of a 2.2 with a bad head gasket.

Umm... Not quite.

That's why I went looking for this board in the first place :lol:

Glad I found you guys though, even though y'all assured me that my EJ22 almost assuredly didn't have a blown HG.

When you take in an abused Soob like I did, you can't make any assumptions. It's just like taking in an abused dog, you just have to deal with the problems when they come up.:)

This legacy sounds like it might be time to put her to sleep, though.

Well looks like were buying a new Subie :banana: I am pretty excited. Yet sort of sad, because we will be trading in our car. My parents had this car since I was young so it is hard to let go, but its just not fecible to keep it in the driveway.

New question, Black, white, or Silver? :lol:

Winter?! Sub zero temps?! Buncha pussies! Well, when I was your age, when the temperature was at -30, we would......aw, never mind.:lol:

And you had to walk both ways up hill in snow up to your waist to get the motoroil which only came in cans?

hehehehehe

nipper

Congrats on the new soob! Sure it's hard to see a beloved old soob go. I mean sure you could fix it up with enough time and money, but I'm sure you'll fall in love with the new one pretty fast!

haha yes when I was a kid we didn't have these fancy plastic motor oil bottles. The oil came in tin cans and we liked it. And we didn't have these fancy can openers, we used an old rusty nail and a piece of lead pipe to poke some holes in the can. We changed the oil when it was rainy and windy out and we didn't have these fancy funnels, we cupped our hand over the oil spout and poured it in. And we did all this barefoot. And we liked it.

Ya I am sort of fond of doing oil changes in -30C weather..........

I put in the new «extended life» Mobil 1 5-30 just before the real cold temp sets in and do the next oil change when it gets warmer in spring. It's worth the price for me.

To me $30 and a good look at new Subaru's is worth it for me. :o

After a talk. Mom gets new car. I get to work on my 93 leg. Me and my dad can't let go lol. Looks like it's leaking out off the radiator one of the hoses looks to be leaking. Not big deal. Might even be the non-oem thermostat with non oem gasket :lol: Damn non oem. Alot of items need to be changed to oem now. I found a pretty decent 91 SS. Has a spare auto trans. I am going to try getting the bad tranny to work in the 91(hopefully a tranny flush will work,2nd gear slips a bit) and put the good tranny and rear diff in my car. Not sure if I want to do turbo swap. I think the N/A is pretty good for what its worth. I am sure once I do valve seals, change all the oil seals, and do the rings, should really boost the power to when it was new. Also going to replace some sensors, and spark plugs, wires, and ignitor.

So as off right now. Looked at 08's. I really think it looks VERY cheap inside. What I REALLY hated was the fact that from the inside I can see some exterior body. On the outside still not crazy about it. The STi has nicer curves. Still I prefer the 07. So 06-07 impreza with auto is what I am looking at. Also if you have something to say about the auto, say it to my mom :headbang::horse:

So as off right now. Looked at 08's. I really think it looks VERY cheap inside. What I REALLY hated was the fact that from the inside I can see some exterior body. On the outside still not crazy about it. The STi has nicer curves. Still I prefer the 07. So 06-07 impreza with auto is what I am looking at. Also if you have something to say about the auto, say it to my mom :headbang::horse:

You have two places to have money spent on a car design. Choice A is the interior, Choice B is the mechanicals. Subaru has always taken choice B, a wise one in my opinion.

nipper