Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My car was getting 20-24 miles per gallon before I moved out west. 4-5 months ago I changed my timing belt and O2 sensor. Around that same time my gas level gauge empty light started not coming on. I ran out of gas in Montana because I was only getting 12-14 mpg and wasn't expecting it.

I purchased a Bosch O2 sensor from Autozone, probably a universal.

The car passed Oregon emissions right away...

When I start the car in the mornings the exhaust is very rich and cloudy, smells of gas.

Also, when I plug in the green OBD1 connectors it makes a beeping buzzing noise and doesn't read out any codes.

Any help would be mucho appreciated as always!

If I was to get a Voltometer and try to test out the O2 sensor and the engine coolant temp sensor, how do I do that?

If I was to get a Voltometer and try to test out the O2 sensor and the engine coolant temp sensor, how do I do that?

You can't test an O2 sensor with a DVM (unless you have one of those Fluke portable O-Scope ones :rolleyes:). The CTS is really just an RTD (resistive temperature device - probably a thermistor), and will give a resistance based on the temp it sees. As long as it changes from low resistance to high resistance as the engine warms up, it's likely ok.

I also vote for valve timing. It's very easy to accidentally get the cam sprockets off by a tooth.

GD

I changed the t-belt 4 months ago, drove 4000 mile road trip. put another 2000 miles here in portland. water pump went out. had to disassemble the t-belt assembly to replace the pump. when I took apart i didn't notice the tooth off. when I put back together I was extra sure that it was aligned. Its not idling funny or running rough.

I think I threw away the old O2 sensor. I'll go buy an OE one.

I replaced the coolant sensor about 2 years ago. I'll check the air filter.

Thanks!

Around that same time my gas level gauge empty light started not coming on. I ran out of gas in Montana because I was only getting 12-14 mpg and wasn't expecting it.

Perhaps your gauge is gummy and not reading correctly. Maybe try running some cleaner for a tank or two and see if it helps. Of course, if you're calculating your mileage correctly, this doesn't help much. But I thought I'd throw it out there.

Good Luck!

Will-