Ultimate Subaru Message Board

r200 swapablity, need some info

mellow65

ok i need some info about the r200s.

basically i understand that they were out of nissans and that they fit where r180s fit. and r180s fit where r160s fit, so one would think that an r200 would fit where a r160 was. is this true?

so will a r200 fit in a older legacy. forget the gear ratios and the fact a custom drive line might have to be made. i am looking to find out if will physically fit in the car.

also can good drive line places make cv axles to mate the inner nissan cv joint with an outer subaru cv joint to make the axles fit a subaru?

also what kind of cars or trucks were the r200 in if I was go JY hunting for one?

well.....the r180 doesn't just fit in where an r160 did. it's physically bigger in almost every dimension.

and an r200 is bigger still.

it can be done but it'll be alot of custom work.

why are you looking at doing this?

i have read of people doing the sti rear end swaps (r180) and it's a bolt in a thing. so that's where i got that idea from.

and why, i got crazy ideas of rwd and trying to figure something that wouldn't blow up and something that wont snap axles left and right.

then to answer the question of why buy a subaru if you want rear wheel drive, it for my rally car. i have a car i will never win in and awd got boring after my second race, so i thought rwd would be fun to kick the rump roast out and have some fun.

maybe you could give me ideas, would a r200 be over kill. would a sti rear end hold like 2.5rs power. i'm still none turbo so we aren't talking major power. but i like build my crap right the first time so i can enjoy my weekends at the rallys and not worry about breaking crap.

the r180 swap is bolt in.....but not just the diff. the hanger is different, hubs, knuckles and axles. which means bolting in the entire crossmember, lateral links, trailing arms, struts, brakes, etc. etc. etc. etc.

only reason it's bolt in, is because it was available in another subaru model.

don't have to ask why a RWD subaru, sounds awesome :banana:

but, I think an r180 would hold up to N/A 2.5 power pretty well.....with the reduced traction of rally, you'd probably be fine rocking the r160.

a guy here in Minneapolis was running RWD in his 2.2l '99 Imp wagon with a welded 4.444 r160 in the rear. did lots of burnouts and drifts, all on pavement, and didn't break much (except that time he forgot to put fluid in it......oops :lol: ).

I'd drop a nice LSD r160 in there, and call it a day.

the r180 swap is bolt in.....but not just the diff. the hanger is different, hubs, knuckles and axles. which means bolting in the entire crossmember, lateral links, trailing arms, struts, brakes, etc. etc. etc. etc.

only reason it's bolt in, is because it was available in another subaru model.

don't have to ask why a RWD subaru, sounds awesome :banana:

but, I think an r180 would hold up to N/A 2.5 power pretty well.....with the reduced traction of rally, you'd probably be fine rocking the r160.

a guy here in Minneapolis was running RWD in his 2.2l '99 Imp wagon with a welded 4.444 r160 in the rear. did lots of burnouts and drifts, all on pavement, and didn't break much (except that time he forgot to put fluid in it......oops :lol: ).

I'd drop a nice LSD r160 in there, and call it a day.

i have a 03 wrx rear end in there right now, so that's a r160 right?

i have been talking to another rally guy that wants to do this to his impreza but he more fears broken axles and then being stuck not moving with a normal lsd. so he wants to do a welded rear end, which at that point you would be killing axles left and right, but you will be able to limp back if you do.

my concern is more killing the rear end. i have seen pictures of guys killing ea82 rear ends. which if my guessing is right is also a r160. but with a lsd i wouldn't be killing axles but if one failed i wouldn't be moving till the next service.

what was the r160s in?

i guess i can just get me a couple legacy rear ends and a whole pile of axles and call it good.

:mad: damn and i just scrapped a rear end and two axles.

Ok from what I can follow the r180 diff, which is an hitachi designed diff, is pick-up point combatible with r160 diffs for subaru applications..what isn't compatible is where the axles mount to the diff, if u did want to run an r180 in an old gen subaru you will need the r180 ej inboard DOJ joint, and a custom inner race, from say rockford cv joints at least I think that's what it was.. (PM suberdave) http://www.rockfordcv.com

This will mean u can run ea** outer joint, axle shaft with a custom inner race, and balls, cage and inner from r180 ej shaft, creating a hybrid ea ej shaft that will mount to an r180 diff on the inside and an ea** stub shaft on the outer..

The bolt holes on the driveshaft flange need widening to match the larger PCD spacing on the r180 pinionshaft.

I have not done any of this.. it is all theory, but theory based on people who have done r180 swaps in their wrx/rs etc and on what suberdave did to mount an ej r160 LSD rear diff in his ea82 wagon

From what I have seen r200 is a no go as every r200 I've seen has had a drastically different mounting method and diff case design than subaru based r1*0 diffs..go look under a 300zx or a 240sx or a skyline and you'll see what I mean. I have no idea whether the actual diff insides can be swapped, but I highly doubt this as r200 diffs have shorter pinion shafts than subaru based r1*0 diffs..

HTH

Kaz

1. AWD 5 speeds will not transfer power to the rear if the front axle stubs have no traction. And if you lock the front stubs from moving you will burn up the VC.

2. Auto's can be modified to be RWD.... but it's an auto. You have to change some valving internally.

3. You could use an EA82 5 speed, or FT4WD (locked), but that's a lot of work for a Legacy.

4. It's all acedemic as none of these options will hold RWD power for long. The problem isn't the rear diff or axles (well - that's one problem), but rather the 4WD transfer gearset inside the transmission. You'll blow the transfer gears on any of the tranny's that can be modified to be RWD.

In the end Subaru's were not designed with this in mind. You are MUCH better off getting a rig that was designed to be RWD from the start.

GD

^ just weld up the spider gears in the center diff. done and done. or, if you've got some $$ to throw around, you can get couplers from a number of sources to eliminate the center diff. the transfer gears become the weak point, but still pretty tough.

poormanzimpreza.....I believe you're just thinking of the difference between numerous r160s. they use different stub styles. the custom race that suberdave used was just to put the WRX rear LSD to match his front clip/tranny in the EA82. but was still an r160.

r180s only came behind the STi 6-speeds ('04+ here in the US).

where have you seen pics of burned up EA82 diffs? sure, sheared stubs, broken axles, etc. but all of those are stronger on the EJ counterparts.

I also doubt you'll be killing axles left and right with a welded diff and N/A power on gravel. at stock angles, they're pretty tough.

1. AWD 5 speeds will not transfer power to the rear if the front axle stubs have no traction. And if you lock the front stubs from moving you will burn up the VC.

2. Auto's can be modified to be RWD.... but it's an auto. You have to change some valving internally.

3. You could use an EA82 5 speed, or FT4WD (locked), but that's a lot of work for a Legacy.

4. It's all acedemic as none of these options will hold RWD power for long. The problem isn't the rear diff or axles (well - that's one problem), but rather the 4WD transfer gearset inside the transmission. You'll blow the transfer gears on any of the tranny's that can be modified to be RWD.

In the end Subaru's were not designed with this in mind. You are MUCH better off getting a rig that was designed to be RWD from the start.

GD

1. it sure will if you weld the center diff

2. who rallys an automatic

3. not worth the headache

4. the problem is the rear end, who says i would be using a subaru tranny.

where have you seen pics of burned up EA82 diffs? sure, sheared stubs, broken axles, etc. but all of those are stronger on the EJ counterparts.

I also doubt you'll be killing axles left and right with a welded diff and N/A power on gravel. at stock angles, they're pretty tough.

i just remember guys talking about pulling the front axles and doing big burn outs and talking about killing there rear end.

i read different things about rear ends lasting, you say they should last, i have read people that go through them like they are going out of style. i guess it's all about how you drive them. and sense i have no plans on being nice to it, i should probably stay away from the smaller diffs.

so either i need to mount up a r200 or figure out how to fab up a 4 link and put like a ford 9" in.

and why dont i just get a rwd car, because i have a legacy that is already caged and rally ready, and why not try something new