Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Stablizer

I havent done it but it cant be that hard, thinking on doing it. What i been thinking about doing is building a shock mount on my front x-member and use some large cable bolts the u shaped ones and attach the small rod end to an angle bracket and take the bracket with the cable u's to the closest part of the tie-rod near the end of the rack. I hope this helps at least a little for you.

Why would you want to?

A Steering stabalizer is a week crutch that won't cure any drivability probelms.

If you think you need one I'd start looking at your steering components.

Unless you are running a straight axle. and dumped you rack and pinion

I don't have any handling problems. But I just about broke my thumb while I was offroading. I started to run over a soccor ball sized rock and the steering wheel spun and caught my thumb on one of those ears on the inside of the wheel...so I want a stablizer for offroad purposes.

~Lucas

I don't have any handling problems. But I just about broke my thumb while I was offroading. I started to run over a soccor ball sized rock and the steering wheel spun and caught my thumb on one of those ears on the inside of the wheel...so I want a stablizer for offroad purposes.

~Lucas

Keep your thumbs on the outside of the wheel when 4wheeiling. A shimmy shock won't really help the wheel from getting whipped around offroad.

~Lucas

You don't need a stabilizer - you need power steering. Beleive me - this will never happen again and you will LOVE it.

Just get the pump, lines, cross-member, and rack from any EA81 with power steering. Will work a thousand times better than any stabilizer.

And as far as asking who's done it - all the folks that have ever brought it up have ended up going with power once they had a taste of it. I for one will NEVER have a lifted subaru without it.

GD

You don't need a stabilizer - you need power steering. Beleive me - this will never happen again and you will LOVE it.

Just get the pump, lines, cross-member, and rack from any EA81 with power steering. Will work a thousand times better than any stabilizer.

And as far as asking who's done it - all the folks that have ever brought it up have ended up going with power once they had a taste of it. I for one will NEVER have a lifted subaru without it.

GD

I have a gl10 t-4wd wagon w/power everything.

Will I need more parts than (rack,pump+brackets,lines)?

I want to put p/s on the RX , both are 85's. Are the crossmembers different? or will I be changing that also?

rx210.jpg

I had power steering on my blue wagon. and definitely would have liked having one while wheeling. necessary? no......but it certainly would have been nice. and it'd probably be easier than converting to power steering.

It's been done.

dirtpile10.jpg

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15305

that exact setup might not work on a non-tcased rig because the exhaust is right there. but it's a good start